Gawd I hate handlebar electrics

RedOregon

300+ Posts
Aug 16, 2015
south of San Antonio
Okay, new handlebars, to run the wires internal, had to pop the connectors and reconnect. Yesterday in the Hill Country, got a check engine light, thank gawd I have an FP3. Error codes (didn't screen cap them dammit) were something about switches not talking right, two inputs didn't match, and a warning that I might go to limp mode. Luckily I didn't.

Other symptom was the cruise control would *not* kick off by grabbing the front brake. Scary but the back brake still cancelled it, as did the cruise control button.

Anyone else gone through this? I'd prefer to tear down as little as possible, of course.

Wiring

Depending whether or not you pulled wire pins from connectors and got them back in wrong spot or you have a wire grounding from a pinch or insulation scraped off. If you pulled pins,you are going to need a wiring schematic. If not,I suggest redoing job again,looking for any problems with wiring. Wiring handle bars internally always has it share of problems.

Depending whether or not you pulled wire pins from connectors and got them back in wrong spot or you have a wire grounding from a pinch or insulation scraped off. If you pulled pins,you are going to need a wiring schematic. If not,I suggest redoing job again,looking for any problems with wiring. Wiring handle bars internally always has it share of problems.

Yeah, pulled pins, but drew up a detailed diagram of each connector and I'm pretty sure I got them back together right, since I got no errors on the first two or three rides.

Those dang wires!

Okay, new handlebars, to run the wires internal, had to pop the connectors and reconnect. Yesterday in the Hill Country, got a check engine light, thank gawd I have an FP3. Error codes (didn't screen cap them dammit) were something about switches not talking right, two inputs didn't match, and a warning that I might go to limp mode. Luckily I didn't.

Other symptom was the cruise control would *not* kick off by grabbing the front brake. Scary but the back brake still cancelled it, as did the cruise control button.

Anyone else gone through this? I'd prefer to tear down as little as possible, of course.

Hey Red

What was the final outcome on your check engine light handlebar change? I finished my change yesterday. Switch on in garage, all lights, horn and cruise comes on. Went for ride around neighborhood to see how I liked the new bars. About four blocks and check engine light comes on. Have not checked codes yet but will do that today. Help!

Thanks

Years ago I did a friends handlebars. Was sure I got all wires back in right hole. WRONG. One wire (well actually 2) was misplaced. Luckily I checked all before it was all buttoned up..switched them & all was OK. Hope ya get it fixed Red.

Sorry I've been away for quite a while, changes here and there got in the way. Closer on this one: had a bad rear brake light sensor that seemed to have caused all the issues. And I have a strong feeling that it took a few rides for the brain box to adapt to the wiring length changes in the bars - no proof of this one, but anecdotal mentions of resistance changes that the CANBUS takes a while to adapt to kinda points me that way.

Bottom line: replaced the rear brake light sensor, and a couple rides later, all was well.

Sorry I've been away for quite a while, changes here and there got in the way. Closer on this one: had a bad rear brake light sensor that seemed to have caused all the issues. And I have a strong feeling that it took a few rides for the brain box to adapt to the wiring length changes in the bars - no proof of this one, but anecdotal mentions of resistance changes that the CANBUS takes a while to adapt to kinda points me that way.

Bottom line: replaced the rear brake light sensor, and a couple rides later, all was well.

Good to read it all is working now.

I also have a strong aversion to handlebar electrics. :xzqxz:

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png