Re gearing a 2016 Harley Trike

A good tire shop should have a chart or a program to tell what size goes how far per revolution and speed it changes from one series to the other. For me I am going to try 70 series tires possibly a 195X70 15 if available. If they don't work out my utility trailer will have new tires. Changing tire size is the least expensive way of playing with the gearing.

Here's one I found:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Thank you Jerry I was going look for just what you gave us thanks again, proof what kind of people lurk around these threads. I'm seriously thinking about going with a slightly higher tire to drop the sixth gear rpms just a little. Tires are a much easier adjustment than pulley's. Two to three hundred rpm is a huge difference even on a twin cam. :goodjob: Travel safe Fred

Ok. What brand did you get and how much lift did it do? Thanks again.
DK Customs.com check them out Kevin is a sponsor on the forum great people to do business with raise about 1 3/4" but makes a great improvement in the handling

Last Saturday I put a Legend lift kit on the trike and put on the 205/75R15 tires. It has slowed down the engine RPM as I had hoped. I can tell while riding. However, the speedo and the GPS show the same MPH! Guess the GPS gets the speed info from the trike computer as does the speedo. Other posts had said to use the GPS as a true speed indicator. I will have to check it with my Garmin. The lift kit was 1.5 inches.

Ok. What brand did you get and how much lift did it do? Thanks again.

Last Saturday I put a Legend lift kit on the trike and put on the 205/75R15 tires. It has slowed down the engine RPM as I had hoped. I can tell while riding. However, the speedo and the GPS show the same MPH! Guess the GPS gets the speed info from the trike computer as does the speedo. Other posts had said to use the GPS as a true speed indicator. I will have to check it with my Garmin. The lift kit was 1.5 inches.

great news thanks for up date can you get picture of how it looks and how much of a drop in RPM in sixth gear around 60-70 mph. GPS and speedo the same tells me the tires corrected your Speedo I used mine before changing Pulley and it was 5 mph fast GPS was right on with radar I have friends that use those things all the time. Ride safe Fred

great news thanks for up date can you get picture of how it looks and how much of a drop in RPM in sixth gear around 60-70 mph. GPS and speedo the same tells me the tires corrected your Speedo I used mine before changing Pulley and it was 5 mph fast GPS was right on with radar I have friends that use those things all the time. Ride safe Fred

I tried to send a picture. Not too familiar with the way things work on the forum. Anyway, the math said 2440 rpm vs 2600 rpm at 60 mph before. I will check again when riding. I don't shift up into 6th gear near as much as before. :)

I tried to send a picture. Not too familiar with the way things work on the forum. Anyway, the math said 2440 rpm vs 2600 rpm at 60 mph before. I will check again when riding. I don't shift up into 6th gear near as much as before. :)
great to hear check the rpms in different gears if possible. The easiest way to change gearing by far. Thanks for your efforts our ride is sleeping here at 26 degrees at night and 30 for highs with salt everywhere

great to hear check the rpms in different gears if possible. The easiest way to change gearing by far. Thanks for your efforts our ride is sleeping here at 26 degrees at night and 30 for highs with salt everywhere

OK, Vin, I admit I may be confused. I was expecting the result would be better mileage or less engine wear. If you are using fifth gear more, aren't your revs higher now?

OK, Vin, I admit I may be confused. I was expecting the result would be better mileage or less engine wear. If you are using fifth gear more, aren't your revs higher now?

No, I was just saying that I can tell the difference when riding. Local roads with 45 mph or 50 don't require top gear. I would use 6th a lot when local and now 5th is the same but when i get on faster roads I use 6th. It knocks 200 rpm off the engine. Great on interstates! I'm old school, like low revs. Lol

Did the tires effect the. Handling?

No, not that I can tell. I have read that it's easier to steer because of less rake-- higher tires and a 1.5" lift kit. seems the same to me, maybe a little easier to steer. Haven't had time to ride it much since last Saturday when I did the work. I like the extra clearance in the back. Especially when riding 2 up and luggage.

No, I was just saying that I can tell the difference when riding. Local roads with 45 mph or 50 don't require top gear. I would use 6th a lot when local and now 5th is the same but when i get on faster roads I use 6th. It knocks 200 rpm off the engine. Great on interstates! I'm old school, like low revs. Lol

Just checked today with my Garmin gps and when it shows 30 mph my speedo shows 28 mph and when 60 on the Garmin mine shows 56 mph and 2400 rpm. FYI

Just checked today with my Garmin gps and when it shows 30 mph my speedo shows 28 mph and when 60 on the Garmin mine shows 56 mph and 2400 rpm. FYI
Vin thank you for your time and all the information on tire size change. When I change tires for my use here in Pennsylvania I will most likely try a pair of 205X70-15 on old Shiney I need a little more grunt on the mountains here not to be confused with the rocky's but none the less even these here can be a real drag. :good:Thanks again :mistletoe:Merry Christmas and travel safe Fred/Jeanne....

Vin thank you for your time and all the information on tire size change. When I change tires for my use here in Pennsylvania I will most likely try a pair of 205X70-15 on old Shiney I need a little more grunt on the mountains here not to be confused with the rocky's but none the less even these here can be a real drag. :good:Thanks again :mistletoe:Merry Christmas and travel safe Fred/Jeanne....

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Ride safe!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png