Re gearing a 2016 Harley Trike

Thanks for the reply. They are the same part # and specs. The only problem is that I will have a 32 tooth up front and a 70 rear and the 09 came with a 32 front and 68 tooth rear. The Harley tech said the extra 2 on the back won't allow the belt to fit. I'll probably just get taller tires and another set of wheels for long trips. Easy to swap the rear wheels.
I'm going to count my rear pulley teeth I have always been told it was a 70 tooth, I will verify today. thanks for the input Fred

Thanks for the info. I was told I can't go to a 32 since my belt isn't long enough. 31 may work. I believe your trike has a longer belt than my 2016.

31 will work just fine. Have 30,000 miles on set-up all over this country. Works great NO belt change. Speedometer's are always off from factory a little slow, 3 miles I think. We are always 2 up & fully loaded. Best change I made. Mine is a 2016 also, so I know it works. If no warranty ,put a Power Vision on it & fix speedo & many other things.

Something to consider..... if you lower RPM at a set speed, you will lower torque as well. A 200-300 RPM drop will reduce torque by 5 to 10%. Since torque maintains your speed it may cause a loss of MPG even though a lower RPM is achieved. A reduction of 500-750 rpm (4000 to 3200 or so) would definitely increase longevity of engine nd drivetrain parts.

But we aren’t pushing s skinny Sportster thru the air.

The Tri Glide is NOT th most aerodynamic in the HD lineup and consistently gets bad reviews for poor milage. I ride a trike because I want too, Not because I have too. So MPG is not a concern, but passing and staying safe in traffics iS! It is absolutely necessary to ensure my safety and the safety of those around me on the highway that I can maintain the speed of traffic. Torque maintains my speed, not MPG or RPM. But RPM DOES affect torque and performance.

Something to consider..... if you lower RPM at a set speed, you will lower torque as well. A 200-300 RPM drop will reduce torque by 5 to 10%. Since torque maintains your speed it may cause a loss of MPG even though a lower RPM is achieved. A reduction of 500-750 rpm (4000 to 3200 or so) would definitely increase longevity of engine nd drivetrain parts.

But we aren’t pushing s skinny Sportster thru the air.

The Tri Glide is NOT th most aerodynamic in the HD lineup and consistently gets bad reviews for poor milage. I ride a trike because I want too, Not because I have too. So MPG is not a concern, but passing and staying safe in traffics iS! It is absolutely necessary to ensure my safety and the safety of those around me on the highway that I can maintain the speed of traffic. Torque maintains my speed, not MPG or RPM. But RPM DOES affect torque and performance.

That's something I learned after a few months of TG ownership. Keeping the rpm up around 2,700 + actually seems to improve the mpg. But when cruising at 75 mph it gets the rpm a bit higher than I'd like. It just sounds and feels 'busy' and makes the ride less pleasant. But it does work to make me keep my speed down so I guess it's not all bad.

That's something I learned after a few months of TG ownership. Keeping the rpm up around 2,700 + actually seems to improve the mpg. But when cruising at 75 mph it gets the rpm a bit higher than I'd like. It just sounds and feels 'busy' and makes the ride less pleasant. But it does work to make me keep my speed down so I guess it's not all bad.

The first couple of years of the Tri-Glide they were geared the same as the 2 wheel touring bikes. There were a lot of complaints about lack of torque. Subsequent years HD lowered the gearing on the trikes, which is good for most on the Twin Cams.

What surprises me is that they kept that lower gearing with the M8's. The M8's have better torque, and down lower, than the Twin Cams. I would think going back to the 2 wheeler gearing would work well, or at least half way in-between, like what Bill did.

One day, I don't know when, I will get an M8 Trike. When I do, changing the gearing will be one of the first things I do.

Kevin

Reactions: MDO
I think my Freewheeler M8, 107 cu. in., runs great on the highway. That is with a K&N air filter in the stock airbox & a external breather of my own design. If I had known about the DK Custom air cleaner before I got my K&N, I would have got it.

For some reason, mine seems to run better than most. I was told that again today, after the dealer did the clutch recall fix & rode it a few miles on the highway to run it thru the gears.

I would think the 114 is even better.

What HD really needs to do is put a higher 6th gear in the trikes. Either that or install a 7 speed with a higher gear for the highway. That way you would have the lower gears for taking off and pulling hills and the high gear for highway flying.

What HD really needs to do is put a higher 6th gear in the trikes. Either that or install a 7 speed with a higher gear for the highway. That way you would have the lower gears for taking off and pulling hills and the high gear for highway flying.

I agree. I'd sure like a 7th gear but looking at it from the moco's standpoint there probably are not enough trikes in the sales mix to make it financially feasible.

I've known a few guys that have run the Baker 7 speed. Just last week was talking with a guy that's had one in his last 3 bikes....including one in his 2014 Tri Glide.

They all love them. Lower 1st gear, better spacing between the gears, and 7th is the same as the 2 wheel bikes 6th, without giving up the lower gearing for starting out.

Kevin

Reactions: MDO
I've known a few guys that have run the Baker 7 speed. Just last week was talking with a guy that's had one in his last 3 bikes....including one in his 2014 Tri Glide.

They all love them. Lower 1st gear, better spacing between the gears, and 7th is the same as the 2 wheel bikes 6th, without giving up the lower gearing for starting out.

Kevin

Only one big problem with that though - $,$$$

Kevin
This seems like it would give us the best of both worlds.

I have run both now 32 sixth gear was useless and 30 seemed pushing the motor at 65-70 range... I purchased Posseriders 30 tooth pulley hoping to get to use sixth gear and can now but... I have to agree with Bill a 31 tooth is great (actually a great improvement) If I ever have old shiney apart again a 31 tooth pulley is going in. I believe I have enough power to make it work on the highway our old 09' doesn't have the higher horsepower of the newer Trikes if you follow what I'm trying to say. From the miles this year out on the long trips at 60-70 MPH a 31 tooth would seem to be a great choice. Andrews pulley's are a little pricey compared to other Manufacturer's but I believe the quality is worth the expense. If you live in a flat plain and never ride the mountains or high elevations a 32 may work. I live in Pennsylvania good luck on your choice of Pulley's it is expensive to switch not like switching mirrors or such just sayin...:Shrug: Travel safe Fred

PS New Castle Harley Davidson switched mine when my Stator and voltage regulator went south. and the had plenty of adjustment going from 32 to 30 so no reason going to go the other way. good luck Fred

I will buy a set of p205/75r15 tires with a higher profile and see what that does. Can get 2 for 125.00

I will buy a set of p205/75r15 tires with a higher profile and see what that does. Can get 2 for 125.00
a tire store should be able to tell you what the change in gearing is by tire size just sayin... not sure about going to a 75 series though

You think the 75 series is too tall? I will check with a shop. I figured about 400 rpm off what it is now.
A good tire shop should have a chart or a program to tell what size goes how far per revolution and speed it changes from one series to the other. For me I am going to try 70 series tires possibly a 195X70 15 if available. If they don't work out my utility trailer will have new tires. Changing tire size is the least expensive way of playing with the gearing.

A good tire shop should have a chart or a program to tell what size goes how far per revolution and speed it changes from one series to the other. For me I am going to try 70 series tires possibly a 195X70 15 if available. If they don't work out my utility trailer will have new tires. Changing tire size is the least expensive way of playing with the gearing.

I agree. I will see if their math agrees with mine. Lol. Are you putting on a lift kit also?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png