Lurker going active; first Harley

A late welcome from.....well, currently western Alabama but heading to SW Florida and some warmer temps soon.

Your original post has probably changed our 2019 travel plans. Just before Sturgis we were going to spend some time in the Black Hills and then head to Colorado before the crowds took over, but now I think we will twist a little more southwest and spend some time down in southern Utah. You are the second person recently that told me how great that part of the state was for riding.

Safe travels James,

Joe

Southern Utah

A late welcome from.....well, currently western Alabama but heading to SW Florida and some warmer temps soon.

Your original post has probably changed our 2019 travel plans. Just before Sturgis we were going to spend some time in the Black Hills and then head to Colorado before the crowds took over, but now I think we will twist a little more southwest and spend some time down in southern Utah. You are the second person recently that told me how great that part of the state was for riding.

Safe travels James,

Joe

Hello Joe; I have to believe that you will not regret a few miles/ days in the S. Utah area. Here are a couple of notable items we experienced and will return to:

Highway 261; beautiful ride but of note is what is called Moki Dugway. While this is 4 miles of dirt road it is in excellent conditions and you WILL NOT be traveling it fast. It is a series of very steep switchbacks cut into the face of a red rock cliff that climbs 1200 feet. If you have a fear of height or open vistas this may not be for you but otherwise it is awesome. Monument valley is on one side and Valley of the Gods on the other.

HIGHWAY 95 travers follows an awsome canyon and brings you into the Glen Canyon area; awesome ride.

We tried to take highway 276 to ride the Ferry in Lake Powell but the Ferry had closed for the season...bummer.

A little further north through Capital Reef Nat. Park and utah highway 12 is my vote for best ride I've ever been on. This wil drop you off at the mouth of Bryce Canyon Nat. Park; well worth seeing if you have not.

We also had a Great day riding around the Cedar Breaks area; absolutely beautiful.

All roads are very good state highways; we traveled in mid-September. Traffic was very light temperatures and weather was awsome.

Hello Joe; I have to believe that you will not regret a few miles/ days in the S. Utah area. Here are a couple of notable items we experienced and will return to:

Highway 261; beautiful ride but of note is what is called Moki Dugway. While this is 4 miles of dirt road it is in excellent conditions and you WILL NOT be traveling it fast. It is a series of very steep switchbacks cut into the face of a red rock cliff that climbs 1200 feet. If you have a fear of height or open vistas this may not be for you but otherwise it is awesome. Monument valley is on one side and Valley of the Gods on the other.

HIGHWAY 95 travers follows an awsome canyon and brings you into the Glen Canyon area; awesome ride.

We tried to take highway 276 to ride the Ferry in Lake Powell but the Ferry had closed for the season...bummer.

A little further north through Capital Reef Nat. Park and utah highway 12 is my vote for best ride I've ever been on. This wil drop you off at the mouth of Bryce Canyon Nat. Park; well worth seeing if you have not.

We also had a Great day riding around the Cedar Breaks area; absolutely beautiful.

All roads are very good state highways; we traveled in mid-September. Traffic was very light temperatures and weather was awsome.

Thanks James! I have made a list of those road/places and will look them up this spring when locating a campground for that area.

Hey there James, if you see this and get a minute can you give me some more details on those roads? For example, doesn't look like there is a route 276 anywhere in southern Utah. But I could be missing it not knowing if it is a county road, state route, US route, or some other type of local designation.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there James, if you see this and get a minute can you give me some more details on those roads? For example, doesn't look like there is a route 276 anywhere in southern Utah. But I could be missing it not knowing if it is a county road, state route, US route, or some other type of local designation.

Thanks in advance.

Happy to help.

Utah 276 heads west from Utah 95 just south of the National Bridges National Monument. Its about a 35 mile road that dead-ends at Halls-Crossing on the shore of Lake Powell. From there you can take a ferry north to Bull Frog, arguably the best known/busiest marina on Lake Powell. Utah Dept. of Transportation (UDOT) website has a page on the ferry giving its schedule, etc. It shuts down in the off season (late Sept. to around April I believe).

On my "official Utah Travel map" it is at J-7. Hope that helps.

Welcome from eastern NC. Wife and I went three wheels last April and love it! It's a smoother ride than my two wheel. Love not having to worry about dropping the bike (with or without mama on board). We can ride longer and further on three. It's just an all around nicer ride. Enjoy your new ride!

Reactions: MDO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png