need 12 volt switched supply

jfred

10+ Posts
Apr 9, 2018
Deatsville
I am adding a power port to my tour pac and need a switched power supply. Where is the best place to get this power? (2017 GW )

Thanks, Jackie

I am adding a power port to my tour pac and need a switched power supply. Where is the best place to get this power? (2017 GW )

Thanks, Jackie

Your profile indicates you have a Triglide. If this is correct I would repost your question to one of the Harley forums since the 12 switched power will come from the bike portion.

Checkout Electrical Connections as they have several products that may do the job for you.

Traded my HD for a GW Roadsmith

On the fuse panel to the left of the battery there is a "aux" connection which is switched on by the ignition. I think it has a 5 amp fuse.

I personally would use a product like this from Electrical Connection to insure I had plenty of power and do not overload "Aux" circuit. The "Aux" connection could be used as the "trigger" for the fuse block. This would also give you future power for added accessories.

https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/honda-goldwing-power-plate-fuse-block/

I have installed a 6 place fuse block powered by the battery through a solenoid so it comes on with the ignition on all my bikes for the last 15 years. I have run heated gear, extra lights, power taps and such without worrying about overloading the wire harness. To energise the solenoid I have usually used the lead to the taillight. If anything goes wrong with the circuit the only thing on the bike affected would be the tail light. With the newer bikes being computer controlled with the Canbus system I pull power from an auxillary outlet as mentioned above so as not to upset the computer, but I can run 6 circuits as song as they are under the 30 amps draw. Heated gear for both of us is about 15 amps, GPS is 3amps, most USB power is 1 - 3 amps

I got the fuse block and solenoid at an auto parts store, about $20 - $25. I had the connectors, various fuses and primary wire indifferent colors already. Here is the set up under the Trike Shop (now Roadsmith) Roadhawk. It is exposed to the elements under the trike so I put it in a sealed box, but on most other rides it went under the seat where it is pretty well protected. This is just the hot side of the circuit. For the ground I just found a handy bolt through the frame or drove a self-tapping screw for a ground.

Roadhawk powerblock.jpgIMG_0916.JPG

I have installed a 6 place fuse block powered by the battery through a solenoid so it comes on with the ignition on all my bikes for the last 15 years. I have run heated gear, extra lights, power taps and such without worrying about overloading the wire harness. To energise the solenoid I have usually used the lead to the taillight. If anything goes wrong with the circuit the only thing on the bike affected would be the tail light. With the newer bikes being computer controlled with the Canbus system I pull power from an auxillary outlet as mentioned above so as not to upset the computer, but I can run 6 circuits as song as they are under the 30 amps draw. Heated gear for both of us is about 15 amps, GPS is 3amps, most USB power is 1 - 3 amps

I got the fuse block and solenoid at an auto parts store, about $20 - $25. I had the connectors, various fuses and primary wire indifferent colors already. Here is the set up under the Trike Shop (now Roadsmith) Roadhawk. It is exposed to the elements under the trike so I put it in a sealed box, but on most other rides it went under the seat where it is pretty well protected. This is just the hot side of the circuit. For the ground I just found a handy bolt through the frame or drove a self-tapping screw for a ground.

View attachment 63918View attachment 63919

I like this idea of using a Tupperware type of container to protect your relay set-up from the elements.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png