Rider Backrest for the Freewheeler

MDO

Oct 11, 2017
St. Louis, MO USA
I just ordered a Rider backrest from http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/

Made in the USA.
Kevin, from DK Custom Products suggested them. Thanks

A great price compared to the OEM rest from HD & 10% off till the end of the year, which covered most of my shipping.

I contacted them & she said our Freewheelers take the touring low profile seat model.

Black with no pocket on back & all hardware was $88.45 to my door. Merry Christmas to me. :Santa:

Nice price, I wonder if the other one for non low profile seats would work also

Would be a plus to have that pocket;)

Hey Jack, you can get the pocket on the back of any of them. I wondered the same thing because there were lots of positive reviews from Tri Glide riders & I had 1 in my cart, but figured I better contact them to double check & they said order the low profile seat model for our Freewheeler. I also mentioned I had a HD Sundowner Tallboy seat.

I can't wait for my gift to arrive.

I rarely have a passenger & I am looking for a windshield bag that I like that's not $100. If anyone has any Ideas, let me know.

If I put something in that pocket, I would walk off & leave it.;)

Michael, check J& P I got 1 in Sturgis at their store, it looks similar to a plain HD 1 at 1/2 the cost;)

Reactions: MDO
I received mine yesterday afternoon, USPS was delivering packages, not mail.

It looks great, with good quality on the rest & bracket.

It's freezing here for the next week or so, so it will be awhile before I can install it & get a picture.

I have an AT&T service tech coming this afternoon to replace their wireless router.

I have a hard time posting on my phone.

So much for good intentions....I grabbed a little bucket of wrenches and went out in the cold part of the garage to install the backrest. Installation was simple and the backrest sits right where I hoped it would, at the base of the spine.

I sat on the bike making vroom, vroom noises till I started shivering....then returned to the heated shop. I like it and think it's gonna work real fine!

Thanks for the link Michael! :clapping:

Received the backrest today. Installation is easy enough if you have what you need. I only had two holes where the mounting bracket is supposed to go (unlike in the installation video). I dug through my can of nuts and bolts and found two screws with torx heads of perfect size to get the job done. Looks good and feels good on the back. I think the wife will appreciate the back support.

20181210-183429-Film1.jpg

20181210-195939-Film1.jpg

I got mine installed also, after digging in my spare bolts/nuts bin.:) It's nice of the Grasshopper people to include the flat washers with the rest.

I am very impressed after a 25 mile ride. It gives me great support I did not know I was missing until now! A great find.

IMG_20181211_104740294_HDR.jpgIMG_20181211_104807658.jpg

Glad you guys are digging them.

I've had one on my Softail for quite a few years. It is super comfortable...I like that I can lean back on it and it has some give.

Mine has the pocket. Besides Mary using it, I also use it to clip my controller for my electric jacket liner to. Makes it easy to reach back and adjust if I need to.

When the backrest on the TG, that I've had for years, and multiple bikes/trikes, wears out, I will be replacing it with one of these.

Kevin

Grasshopper Backrest

Received mine this week and put it on today. Easy Peasy. It sits back a tad more than the Harley backrest and I needed that extra inch. The Grasshopper sits right down on the seat unlike the Harley backrest. Looks so much better. And a ton easier to put the backrest into the bracket than the spring loaded Harley backrest. It’s Winter in northern Utah so no test ride. I have the Harley backrest for sale. Half price if anyone is interested. :D

Does anyone know if the Grasshopper backrest will work with a mustang seat? I already have the grasshopper backrest and I am about to order a mustang seat. Of course I was wondering if I need to order their backrest as well?!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png