Likes Likes:  25
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools I carry and the Bags I use.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Default Tools I carry and the Bags I use.

Welp, I've talked about this before. I work on my ride with the bags I carry on a trip. If I run into a tool I don't have and need, I evaluate if I would use it working on the bike along the side of the road. If it's not something I might use, I don't add it. If I might use it along side the road it gets added.

I used to carry these tools in 4 canvass bank bags. Like this one:

Old Bags.jpg

Well .. they got a little full and the zippers started failing ... of course ... I've used these for like 8 years. What I liked about them is that they lay flat in the saddlebags in the bottom and don't take up lots of room. Since three of the four had bad zippers, I went looking for something to replace them.

This is what I came up with, notice the R and L in the upper left corners, that's the saddlebag they go in. The Right side has the metric and misc stuff and the left has the less used ASME and torx stuff. These too lay flat in the saddlebags and actually take up less room:

Bags.jpg

Here's what is in each bag.

Left:

Left ASME Torx.jpg

Right:

Right Metric Misc..jpg

What you see there is probably more than most people would need for the Wing, probably all you'd need is in the little black pouch in the left bag, the stock Gold Wing tool kit ... LOL. These tools are the same ones I use on the Harleys too. So I'm sure there's stuff I don't need, but, since I ride one up, I don't need all the stuff i would need to get in if I rode two up.

I also went to Cabela's and got a couple of duffles that fit into the saddlebags as well. The right one has "foul weather gear". Electrics and Rain Gear. The left one I put stuff like half cover, seat cover, tire repair kit, multimeter, stuff like that. Putting all that in the saddlebags, I still have room for light weight and heavy weight jackets.

The trunk stays empty for stuff I buy on the trip and my helmet.

My clothes stay in a luggage rack waterproof bag. Since it will be going into wherever I stay with me. It's the only bag I bring into my stopping place. Works well, The big advantage is that most of the weight I carry, tools, and gear is below the seat (saddlebags). The luggage rack bag is fairly light, and, the trunk is empty. So, the bike handles really well. The monkey rides on top of the Luggage rack bag and goes into the room with me ... LOL ... he keeps me on my toes.
    2014 Tri Glide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2006 Gold Wing Comfort Navi Abs - Jessica, 2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

28500+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Fuzzy

I see something that looks like a tire gauge in the left hand picture under the spark plugs.

If not, then a good quality tire gauge is a must in any tool bag.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by David357 View Post
    Fuzzy

I see something that looks like a tire gauge in the left hand picture under the spark plugs.

If not, then a good quality tire gauge is a must in any tool bag.
    Yea ... probably should replace that ... but since I went to Nitrogen in the tires ... I hardly ever use it ... I only check tire pressure when I'm going on a trip ... at big o ... and it never varies a bit.
    2014 Tri Glide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2006 Gold Wing Comfort Navi Abs - Jessica, 2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

Lehman / Champion Guru
    Gold Club Member
    User ID
    Jim Murphy
    Lehman Tech since 1998
    Champion Tech since 2005
    Lehman & Champion Dealer Owner Operator
    Iron Butt Rider 2001

WHEN HELP IS OFFERED, A SIMPLE "THANK YOU" IS APPRECIATED.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

The tool under the spark plugs is a tiny screwdriver that has flat and Phillips ... useful more on the Harley I'm guessing.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    The tool under the spark plugs is a tiny screwdriver that has flat and Phillips ... useful more on the Harley I'm guessing.
    IMO, 1 cannot have enuff tools on the bike, ya just never know
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 32years)
    Current ride : 17 FREEWHEELER M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs Outlaw air cleaner, modified by me head breather vent with drain, Gutted stock mufflers, (RJS Originals) rear wheel discs , (RJS Originals) custom windshield lower panel, Mighty Mites Love Jugs fans by Papa Zook

50500+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Klarich View Post
    IMO, 1 cannot have enuff tools on the bike, ya just never know
    But where do you keep your jack and spare tire........
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2018...SLINGSHOT...........

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by rhino 2 View Post
    But where do you keep your jack and spare tire........
    In the cargo trailer he pulls to haul the jack and spare tire

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    Welp, I've talked about this before. I work on my ride with the bags I carry on a trip. If I run into a tool I don't have and need, I evaluate if I would use it working on the bike along the side of the road. If it's not something I might use, I don't add it. If I might use it along side the road it gets added.

I used to carry these tools in 4 canvass bank bags. Like this one:

Old Bags.jpg

Well .. they got a little full and the zippers started failing ... of course ... I've used these for like 8 years. What I liked about them is that they lay flat in the saddlebags in the bottom and don't take up lots of room. Since three of the four had bad zippers, I went looking for something to replace them.

This is what I came up with, notice the R and L in the upper left corners, that's the saddlebag they go in. The Right side has the metric and misc stuff and the left has the less used ASME and torx stuff. These too lay flat in the saddlebags and actually take up less room:

Bags.jpg

Here's what is in each bag.

Left:

Left ASME Torx.jpg

Right:

Right Metric Misc..jpg

What you see there is probably more than most people would need for the Wing, probably all you'd need is in the little black pouch in the left bag, the stock Gold Wing tool kit ... LOL. These tools are the same ones I use on the Harleys too. So I'm sure there's stuff I don't need, but, since I ride one up, I don't need all the stuff i would need to get in if I rode two up.

I also went to Cabela's and got a couple of duffles that fit into the saddlebags as well. The right one has "foul weather gear". Electrics and Rain Gear. The left one I put stuff like half cover, seat cover, tire repair kit, multimeter, stuff like that. Putting all that in the saddlebags, I still have room for light weight and heavy weight jackets.

The trunk stays empty for stuff I buy on the trip and my helmet.

My clothes stay in a luggage rack waterproof bag. Since it will be going into wherever I stay with me. It's the only bag I bring into my stopping place. Works well, The big advantage is that most of the weight I carry, tools, and gear is below the seat (saddlebags). The luggage rack bag is fairly light, and, the trunk is empty. So, the bike handles really well. The monkey rides on top of the Luggage rack bag and goes into the room with me ... LOL ... he keeps me on my toes.
    Duct Tape a must have, ask Zook!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast