Problem in Colorado titling my trike

I recently bought a newly converted trike from a Honda dealer in Arkansas. DMV in Colorado today refused to issue me a new title on my Honda Goldwing trike that I just bought. Clerk claims that because it was converted to a trike the original title is no good anymore and that the dealer should have converted the original title to a new title showing a new VIN number instead of giving me the original title. I find this strange because every trike I see advertised for sale shows the original motorcycle VIN number not some made up number. Has anybody else run into this problem in Colorado. The clerk in Parker had to confer with everyday else in the office for 20 minutes before she told me this so I don't have a lot of confidence in their answer.

I would check with DMV and get the defination of a motorcycle, in Alabama and several other states it is 3 wheels or less... In that case the orig. Vin would remain with the Goldwing since it is still a motorcycle...
Good Luck.

Find a different clerk to help you! Or try to explain to that one, the conversion is an accessory to an existing motorcycle. It is not a ground up build. The vehicles VIN remains the same. Of course that's in Indiana and I can only assume that's true there.

Sounds like you volunteered to much info. Go to another clerk, and just register your new goldwing. They don't need to know it has been converted. I have dealt with the DMV and the DOT in CO., KS., and OK, and you have to always make sure not to mention anything that is not specifcally asked.

Answer yes, no, or I don't know to everything and it will go a lot more smoothly.

Try to register a commercial, over the road semi-truck and you'll quickly learn what I mean. Good Luck!

WOW!!!! you are absolutely correct. The more info they get the more likely that you will get a no. I gave 1 clerk too much info on my disabled parking sticker in La. and was turned down. The next clerk just looked at the doctors letter and asked no questions. I think that you should just title your goldwing and don,t say anything else. good luck. curley

You must have gave them too much information. When I went to get the temporary and the vin verification, only told her was a motorcycle from out of state. I am from Centennial, Colorado. Since it was a out of state title, had to get a vin verification. That was not hard. Went to the emmissions place for that. To this day, I do not think they realize it is a trike.

I have had my issues with DMV, I have learned to use the former goverment policy. if they dont ask I dont tell, that has worked pretty well.I went in with a title that they refused ( I gave to much info), waited a couple of months and went back, same person said no problem.

Just wondering if it is one of those welfare to work people working in the DMV ??? We have some working here in Pa and they will make your world hell because they don't want to be there!!! True horror stories...

In Conn. it is a motorcycle. LEO stops me I show him the REG and they nod go ahead . Never ask about why it says Motorcycle . I bought mine out of ILL. I had to bring it in to DMV to Verify the Vin # nothing was said about the extra wheel .
I found out Ihat when I went to register the CF Moto CV3 . First clerk I explained everything like a good boy should . I got shut down . Went to head office handed over all paper work didn't say anything and was out in an hour.

In Nebraska if you purchase an out of state motorcycle you must present it to the DMV so they can check the numbers and make sure everything is legit before issueing the new title. I expect this is what has prompted the problems. I can't speak to what the laws in CO are but I would assume the other members are correct in their replies.

I do know that whenever the women at the DMV get in a huddle you can expect problems.

I have found that it helps if you take your mom or grandma with you and dress so any tattoos are covered you may have better luck.

Good Luck

Just walk in wearing your Sheriff's uniform and tell 'em exactly what you want and how do it. They know you know what you're talking about:wtg::innocent::giggle:

Couple of years ago, I bought a Yamaha 750 from an individual in Dallas. I picked up the bike with a bill of sale, and he was to send the title. Finally had to threaten a law suit to get the title, and when it came, it was not signed. I didn't notice and went to register the bike. Clerk said she couldn't do it because it wasn't signed. I went out in the hall, signed the sellers name, went back to the same clerk and she registered it in about 15 minutes.
They don't pick the brightest crayon in the box when they fill those positions.

Some of those individuals are short a few fries from a happy meal. It should of been registered without any hiccups.

Hey guys don't be to hard on them. (some of it they deserve) Most of these rules were put in to protect us from buying a stolen vehicle. I know the trike thing is not realistic after all it is insured as an accessory, but having to have the VIN verified by a Law Enforcement person has cut down on the stolen vehicle fraud against you. Now they mostly sell the stuff overseas that they steal.

I live in Minnesota and I bought my Trike in Kentucky. When I got back to Minnesota I stopped at the Court House to transfer the title to me. All I had to do was go back outside and get the Engine Number and go back in. It is registered as a Goldwing Motorcycle but is insured as a Goldwing Trike. On My Insurance Policy it has a "T" behind the Policy number. 17 days after I bought the Trike in Kentucky I hit a Deer with it causing about $10,000 in damages. My Insurance company (State Farm) never batted an eyelid they paid the claim and it went over the initial estimate. It was late in the riding season whn I got it back so only got to ride it a few miles before putting it up for the winter. The next spring I was riding and no one could hear me when I transmitted on the CB. Took it back to the dealer that fixed the Trike from the accident and they determined that the CB had been damaged as well. Almost another $1000. State Farm reopened the Claim and paid that bill without any hassle.

When I registered it I did not tell them it was a Trike but if i had I don't think it would have made any difference.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fredmarkley5050#gmail.com

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fredmarkley5050#gmail.com
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png