Ceramic Coating My Paint

I'm riding from Missouri with a Wing 2 wheeler & a Wing trike conversion.

Lemme know when ... if you come through Junction, we can ride there together ... otherwise ... I'll ride down to the four corners for the day ... :D

Okay ... back on track ... LOL. Today was is very overcast and damp, two things neither of my knees enjoy. Not putting the fender on probably until Friday, gonna be 52* and sunny.

So, I took some pics of the "treated" parts. Hard to tell in the house, but the are shinny and feel smooth.

Rear section of the front fender, even did the black part:

2019-02-13 11.26.19.jpg

One of the side covers, even did the plastic chrome:

2019-02-13 11.25.38.jpg

So ... I guess I'm in the wait and see group with Kevin. But, if it lasts 2 years .... it's worth the prep.

Reactions: MDO
Water Test

So I was looking at the "treated" parts .... and it occurred to me to see if this stuff actually repels water. So I did a video with my phone of me pouring water on the front fender. I was really surprised how well the water just ran off the fender. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the video on here. d

SO I took a couple of pics of pouring water on it.

2019-02-13 14.25.09.jpg

2019-02-13 14.25.18.jpg

The really interesting thing was that the little tiny beads that were left on the fender wiped right off with a microfiber rag. Does that mean anything? Dunno.

The really interesting thing was that the little tiny beads that were left on the fender wiped right off with a microfiber rag. Does that mean anything? Dunno.[/QUOTE]

Hey Fuzzy,

I think it means you did it right. Now more riding and less washing and cleaning.

Steve

Hey Fuzzy,

I think it means you did it right. Now more riding and less washing and cleaning.

Steve

Whoooooo Hoooooooo .... Love it when a plan comes together. now to get my "List" installed .... but ... I'm kind of taking it easy with the knee ... I think Friday is supposed to be 50*+, so I think the front fender and the GenII fork brace will get put on.

2019-02-15 08.16.35.jpg

2019-02-15 08.44.20.jpg

I like the rich look with this stuff ... Keep in mind, I only did the trunk lid. If you look at the bottom of the trunk compared to the lid ... you can really see the pop ... if it lasts a full year ... I'll be jazzed. Wonder what it would do to the black plastic ... I think I have an old speaker box ... might do a test ... :D

I still would like to know if the stuff can be used on the timing cover plate behind the front fender...where the grimey road stuff accumulates.

I still would like to know if the stuff can be used on the timing cover plate behind the front fender...where the grimey road stuff accumulates.

I'm fairly sure it will, but, that's gonna have to wait until the knee gets a little better ... getting down there is easy ... gravity is your friend ... getting back up ... not so much. Pretty sure I can get down .... also sure I can't get back up ... :AGGHH: ... yet.

I'm fairly sure it will, but, that's gonna have to wait until the knee gets a little better ... getting down there is easy ... gravity is your friend ... getting back up ... not so much. Pretty sure I can get down .... also sure I can't get back up ... :AGGHH: ... yet.

Thats why I built a lift. Nice be able to clean wheels sitting down

lift.jpg

Been riding it a bit since the ceramic coat was finished.* Yesterday was the first day I rode it in the rain with the ceramic.

Here are a couple of pics of what it looked like when I got home-

First%20Rain%20on%20Ceramic%20Coat.jpg

Water is beading up nicely-

First%20Rain%20on%20Ceramic%20Coat%202.jpg

Kevin

Been working on this for awhile

Okay, between adding accessories to Jessica and getting a knee replaced, I've been slow getting the bike done. I will say all I did for prep was wipe the paint down with a de waxer and apply it as per McKee's instructions. Including wiping off the excess with a micro towel and leaving it alone for 12 hours.

Here's some pics:

Ceramic 1.jpg

Ceramic 2.jpg

Ceramic 3.jpg

Ceramic 4.jpg

Ceramic 5.jpg

Ceramic 6.jpg

It looks really good in person. Better yet, it feels like glass. Should be noted, I only did the painted parts. I plan to do the engine covers soon.

I did a test panel on the rubberized parts. Actually did the right and left pocket doors.

Right

2019-03-03 12.38.32.jpg

Left

2019-03-03 12.38.44.jpg

I think the rubberized stuff looks good with it ... as much as I don't want to do any more, I may do more of the black.

Learned somthing about ceramci coatings

OK, so last weekend I was visiting with Kevin while he coated his gorgeous new 2019 TG. When he opened the bottle of coating he bought last summer it was not liquid but crystalized. Fortunately he had a new bottle. In talking with Nick at McKee's 37 today I learned that the creamic coating liquid is only good for about six weeks after the bottle is opened. i guess that's why the bottles are so small . . . a bigger one woulden't last. Yikes, I better get going on my other vehicles.

Today started out with rain and thunderstorms but then the system passed and it even became sunny and in the low 70s so I got busy doing the coating on my 2006 Buick Rainier. It's a pretty big SUV and I did all the steps as per McKee's daily driver kit which I had purchased along with the wheel kit.

Special wheel wash and clean folowed by Iron Wash on the vehicle. I guess in hard water areas this is important but we have fantastic water with little iron so this probably was not necessary. Then a full wash with the pre-coat wash folowed by clay bar of the entire vehicle. Then the pre-coat prep polish and finally the coating itself on the paint and then the coating for the wheels.

Took about 4.5 hours in total and the vehicle looks just great. Now this vehicle lives outside. It's probably been in an enclosure less than four or five times since I bought it in August 2006. And I hardly ever wash it and when I do it it in one of those touchless car washed. But the paint looks just great and with the creamic coating even better.

I'm sold on this stuff. Back in the 'old days' I'd work harder for less result.

Update on the Ceramic

Okay ... so after I got the painted parts done and the chrome on the engine cover and side covers.

I had my buddy over to help with three add ons. I was afraid I would get down and not be able to get up :AGGHH:.

He put the belly pan on, the trailer hitch and he helped me get the ride on in (reminds me ... now I need to order it for the tri.)

As you can imagine, the under carriage was pretty dusty/dirty. Don kept pulling himself up by grabbing whatever he could, There where dirty finger/hand prints pretty much every where. I didn't say anything, after all ... he was helping me.

So today I was loading the Gold Wing up on the trailer, got her all tied down and went into the house to get some iced tea. While resting the knee, I remembered all the dusty prints. Got a bucket of clean water and some micro towels and went to wipe them down. When I got out there, I couldn't find any prints.

Hmmmmm ... my first reaction was that I had already did that. Did some investigation, and realized, out of the box of 100 micro fiber towels I bought, I'd only used two, for the de waxer. Second reaction was man your getting old, what did i use to clean it? Bottom line I didn't. I did take it for a 20 mile ride and ... I'm guessing the air flow blew the dusty prints off.

Drained the bucket, put the micro fiber towels back in the box and drank my iced tea. If this stuff works that well on the Black Tri ... I see lots of Iced Tea relaxing in my future ... :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png