Harley's first "production" electric motorcycle...

Here’s an article from Fox News that said they are selling these things for $29,799. That is just plain crazy for a bike that a man bunned Millennial would ride. Range sucks and the 8 hour recharge time is just plain ridiculous. I wouldn’t give a plug nickel for it. My days of riding an uncomfortable sport bike are long gone, much less one that is Harley’s version of a Prius.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/electric-harley-davidson-livewire-priced-at-29799

Bubba

Here’s an article from Fox News that said they are selling these things for $29,799. That is just plain crazy for a bike that a man bunned Millennial would ride. Range sucks and the 8 hour recharge time is just plain ridiculous. I wouldn’t give a plug nickel for it. My days of riding an uncomfortable sport bike are long gone, much less one that is Harley’s version of a Prius.

Bubba

I listened to a podcast from Laidlaw HD today about the electric bike and there is a charger available that will charge the battery to 80% in 20 mins,but in typical HD tradition,it must be purchased separately.With that said the chances of me buying one or test riding one,zero in a million.

I want to ride one, at least once. But I don't think I want to own one...not at any price...looks like it goes to fast for me. lol

However, HD, along with most other vehicle manufacturers, is making a commitment to EV's. They (HD) say they will have a full portfolio of EV's by 2022.

How big is a portfolio? Certainly more than 2 or 3. Maybe by 2022 they will have one that is less expensive and might actually be some fun for someone like me.

Related...I have been reading a ton of info on EV cages, specifically EV trucks. I believe it is highly probable that Marys' next truck will be an EV.

Kevin

I test rode the Live Wire demos when they were touring the country a few years ago and was very impressed . . . by how absolutely fast it was. Other than that, well not so much. Range is limited, charging is spotty, and it is very pricey. Nice novelty imo but until they can make a mainstream touring bike with decent range that doesn't cost a fortune, oh well, I'll have to pass.

With a range of only 110 miles, and I'm guessin that's driving it very conservatively, it's really only good for around town or around most city circle freeways.

Quick out of the hole it may be but that's gonna trash the rear tire quickly also. And how much do you think a new rear for THAT bike is gonna cost? Not to mention once most cars are electric, what's gonna happen to the cost of electric? So when does riding an electric bike become too expensive, not to mention the initial cost of the bike?

I'm not sure who the MOCO is aiming this bike at but I know it's not me.

PC

Harley's first "production" electric motorcycle

Well folks, we have some pretty mixed reviews for the HD initiative.

However, like it or not, brace yourselves, this concept is the future direction of the next generation.:eek:mg:

Bubba

But Bubba, what pray tell is wrong with a Prius, I'm getting 70 mpg on my 2016, twice the miles I'm getting on my GW Road Smith. Sheesh, maybe not your cup of tea, but some folks like them and actually drive them on long trips, surprise? Have you driven one, ever?

Preius vs Total elec

Two different animals. At least with a hybrid thers no worry of running out of battery :clapping:

Ya got to love Back up power.

My Sportster only got about 80 miles ......;):D...

I'd start looking for gas at 50 miles on my old pan with the peanut tank. Of course these bikes aren't targeted to old people. Even though I'd love to have one. Nope our service life is about done and companies are moving to a younger crowd. When I read this I think of the first computers, and all the old guys I worked with said it was a fad that would die out. That computers were crap and wouldn't go anywhere. They may have wrong ya think!:laugh:

I'd start looking for gas at 50 miles on my old pan with the peanut tank. Of course these bikes aren't targeted to old people. Even though I'd love to have one. Nope our service life is about done and companies are moving to a younger crowd. When I read this I think of the first computers, and all the old guys I worked with said it was a fad that would die out. That computers were crap and wouldn't go anywhere. They may have wrong ya think!:laugh:

i agree, they aren’t targeted to us, but I don’t think they are target towards millennials either. The $29,799 price tag effectively prices it out of the range of most millennials.

Bubba

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png