Which one?

Jan 8, 2019
Stanton Iowa USA
I am currently riding a 94 Aspencade. For the record we have ridden since the 70's including a trip in 1980 stretching to 4600 miles on a GS750 pulling a trailer thru the mountains. With that being said we're thinking it's time to add a wheel. Here's the scenario. Option one trade the 94 for an 88 with slightly less miles (69k) and a Lehman conversion. It is at a dealer that I trust and it is very nice with lots of accessories that we like. Shouldn't matter but it also has more eye appeal. Option two buy a 2002 outright privately with a Motor Trike conversion. Very low miles (14K) very basic with no accessories to speak of and some of a pedigree that is not traceable. No apparent concerns, but you never know. We of course will then have to sell ours by ourselves. Net difference realistically once we sell ours will be around $3000 to $3500. I have ridden both 15s and 18s of various conversions and am happy with either. Money is doable in either case, but the 1800 is stretching. Thoughts :confused:

The big advantage of the 1800's is the fuel injection. Less and less dealers are not as comfortable with the carburetor work ... we are talking about twenty year old technology. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the 1500's, just pointing out the obvious. Both platforms are great technology and make great trikes.

If you're looking to do lots of miles ... and being away from home, i think I'd go with the 1800, JMHO.

Assuming the Lehman is a straight axle, short wheel base, I would pass. Simply because of the ride!

My experience of trying every major brand there was on a 1500 and a 1800 led me to the 1800 w/a Hannigan conversion.

Longer wheel base and IRS equaled the smoothest ride I found. Simple suspension design meant easy and less maintenance. Also, less drive shaft/U joint wear as the rear end is offset to align with the drift shaft out put of the Wing.

Started out 16 yrs ago with a '93 Goldwing & MT straight axle kit. Put approx. 35k on it in 3 yrs and had 1 issue with drive shaft. Went to '05 1800 with same MT straight axle kit in 2006. Now have 146k on that trike. Here's a list of what I've had to do to MT kit over last 12+ yrs:

1) installed upgraded driveshaft/coupler/u-joint at Mfg recommendation @100k. Note, no failure just took advantage of new design and discounted price offer.(the green one)

2) replaced rear shocks @130k

3) replaced rear brake calipers(and rotors) @140k

From my perspective, that's an outstanding track record for 146k. To me, one of the biggest perks to the MT straight axle is the ability to go to a local auto parts store and purchase virtually any mechanical item that might need replaced; shocks, brake pads, bearings, seals, etc. Note, however, the rear calipers are not over the counter and can only be purchased from a dealer.

I can not compare the ride, as the MT is the only trike I have ever ridden. Good luck. And by the way, the 1800 power difference is outstanding.

hello Mark

first let me welcome to trike talk from east Texas. I have a 2000 1500se the last 1500 made. this is my thoughts, I love my 1500 with 99,000 mil. but if I was going to buy another goldwing it would not be a 1500, the age is the only reason, I have never road a 1800 but that is what I would get. the early 1800 had many recalls, on that 2002 you would need to let your dealer run a check on the 18 and see if all recalls was done. I have been told if you get a used 18 look for a 2006 and up. but if the earlyer one has had all recalls done I would not back off, if it checked out to suite me.

Still which one

First thanks for the welcomes, I am looking forward to learning more here. With the 1800 the only way that I know of to check for the mods ahead of buying it would be with the serial number. Sounds like there are concerns with the early 18s. Is the radiator a big deal? While this one is low miles it has sat for 5 years. Some parts have been replaced and about 1000 miles or so put on since then but,?

First thanks for the welcomes, I am looking forward to learning more here. With the 1800 the only way that I know of to check for the mods ahead of buying it would be with the serial number. Sounds like there are concerns with the early 18s. Is the radiator a big deal? While this one is low miles it has sat for 5 years. Some parts have been replaced and about 1000 miles or so put on since then but,?

Not as brilliant as most here, but... 14,000 miles, sat for 5 years... seems like maybe 12-1300 miles a year average... sounds like a Boss Hoss :cxtv: ... I'm thinking two things. One, how buggered up can it be, and two, you're looking at new tires, for sure. It might cost a bit to go through it replacing tires, fluids, and hoses, but in the end you'd be better served. Show up with cash and buy it cheap. It's just a boat anchor to them. Don't be embarrassed about a low-ball offer - all they can say is no...

I am currently riding a 94 Aspencade. For the record we have ridden since the 70's including a trip in 1980 stretching to 4600 miles on a GS750 pulling a trailer thru the mountains. With that being said we're thinking it's time to add a wheel. Here's the scenario. Option one trade the 94 for an 88 with slightly less miles (69k) and a Lehman conversion. It is at a dealer that I trust and it is very nice with lots of accessories that we like. Shouldn't matter but it also has more eye appeal. Option two buy a 2002 outright privately with a Motor Trike conversion. Very low miles (14K) very basic with no accessories to speak of and some of a pedigree that is not traceable. No apparent concerns, but you never know. We of course will then have to sell ours by ourselves. Net difference realistically once we sell ours will be around $3000 to $3500. I have ridden both 15s and 18s of various conversions and am happy with either. Money is doable in either case, but the 1800 is stretching. Thoughts :confused:

The Lehman is a good kit but it is on the stiffer end of the ride scale.

The 2002 more than likely has a straight axle LIKE the lehman, however its design will be softer than the lehman, but it not as soft as an independent axle bike.

That being said since this is a 2002 Im going to assume that it is a straight ax. however it COULD have a later independent kit on it.

In any case... go its a good kit and I would go with the 2002. take it to a MT dealer, and get it greased, tightened and lubed, and with all quickness put the new motortrike green driveshaft on it.

have fun

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png