2017 Freewheeler has condensation in the speedometer. Anyone else?

MDO

Oct 11, 2017
St. Louis, MO USA
2017 Freewheeler has condensation in the speedometer. Anyone else?

I may have wined about this in another post, but it's very annoying.

I pull my FW out of the garage & condensation starts to form in the bottom part of the speedometer housing, totally covering the LCD digital display & making it unreadable.. if outside for 6-8 hours, it will start to cook off.

I plan on taking it to my dealer to discuss & get it replaced under warranty.

Am I the only one with this issue or is it common place?

My 2015 Freewheeler does the same thing. When I asked about this at the dealer I was told it is not considered a problem because the speedometer is working just fine.

Reactions: MDO
My 2015 Freewheeler does the same thing. When I asked about this at the dealer I was told it is not considered a problem because the speedometer is working just fine.

Thanks for responding. I am curious how Doc's HD will respond. This is my 1st. time requesting warranty work. They have been great in every other regard. I will post my experience with them.

There are very few manufactures that will let a defect go on for years, And it will continue to go on till the Kool-Aid runs out, And it looks like that day is near.. Surely the UJM's would never let that happen to their products ... My 11 T/G Had the same problem...:(..

Gauge condensation

Might not be a defect , as Thers a rubber O- ring, gasket under the bezel. Vibration, heat , all takes a toll on them sooner or later. Got one gauge that it forms into , but drys out rather quick while riding. Must be from the air circulating under the bat wing :Shrug:

mine has been doing the same, pretty much since I bought it. And I keep mine garaged

I keep mine garaged too.

As a side note and not to highjack my own thread (if that's possible), I have to say I am jealous of your location. I have been through the area several times & the Knoxville/N.C. area has some of the best riding available.:Dorag:

Might not be a defect , as Thers a rubber O- ring, gasket under the bezel. Vibration, heat , all takes a toll on them sooner or later. Got one gauge that it forms into , but drys out rather quick while riding. Must be from the air circulating under the bat wing :Shrug:

Mine eventually dries out also, but the fact you have it occurring on 1 gauge & not all of them, doesn't that indicate a problem?

Mine eventually dries out also, but the fact you have it occurring on 1 gauge & not all of them, doesn't that indicate a problem?

Michael, read here This should be made a sticky

TECH ARTICLE - Instrument Gauge Display Streaking

Reference - TA0006

Last Modified - 2016-06-29

Models - 2014 and later most vehicles

Category - Electrical

Markets - Global 2014 and later most vehicles

Symptoms - Streaking appearance or film residue on the inside of instrumentation gauges.

Description - HD is aware of the streaking or film residue inside speedometers & tachometers. May occur after vehicle was exposed to humid conditions.

Action - While this condition is warranted, there is a high probability the replacement part will exhibit the same condition at this time. Consider this when reviewing the issue and repairs to the affected vehicles. HD is aware of the condition and working toward a resolution.

Here is an update. I emailed my dealer yesterday (they have an email system for scheduling service) & they called me this morning.

They stated they need 2 pictures of the speedometer to send to the MoCo to get authorization to replace it under warranty. The service writer said he has been through this a lot & that's how they want it. A picture at its best & worse.

The saga continues...

Here is an update. I emailed my dealer yesterday (they have an email system for scheduling service) & they called me this morning.

They stated they need 2 pictures of the speedometer to send to the MoCo to get authorization to replace it under warranty. The service writer said he has been through this a lot & that's how they want it. A picture at its best & worse.

The saga continues...

I got behind the power curve on this. Mine was totally fogged up a few weeks ago but I wasn't aware I needed to take a picture of it. If it is covered by the extended warranty I will need to ride everyday until it happens again. :Dorag:

This problem is not just isolated to the Free Wheeler. My brother has the same issues on his Fat Bob. The dealer wasn't too sympathetic about it tho.

Have it on my 2009 street bob, and my 2013 Softail, but not (yet?) on my 2014 sporty or 2017 freewheeler. Seems to be ambient temperature related, more noticeable on cooler days, clears as the bike warms up. :Shrug:

I have been delayed due to bad weather, but I finally got around to getting pictures of my problem.

I have contacted the dealer & they are passing the info on to the MoCo. It seems to be important to let them know that you can see a film on the inside of the speedo glass. If you notice in the top pic, you can see a film all around the edge of the glass. I will post the response from the mother ship.

It is very annoying to me, to not be able to use the tac or the trip meter for hours on end. I have owned numerous other brand motorcycles & never had this issue. If I could get a replacement speedometer that had all the correct indicators, I would.

IMG_20190226_130330414.jpgIMG_20190412_155249180.jpg

I have been delayed due to bad weather, but I finally got around to getting pictures of my problem.

I have contacted the dealer & they are passing the info on to the MoCo. It seems to be important to let them know that you can see a film on the inside of the speedo glass. If you notice in the top pic, you can see a film all around the edge of the glass. I will post the response from the mother ship.

It is very annoying to me, to not be able to use the tac or the trip meter for hours on end. I have owned numerous other brand motorcycles & never had this issue. If I could get a replacement speedometer that had all the correct indicators, I would.

View attachment 70564View attachment 70565

That is UGLY, I sure hope your dealer gets the OK to hook you up;)

Even in the high humidity here in Florida I have never had a speedo look like that

I know what you mean Jack. I could live without a speedo, but I need the tac. If the LCD display was somewhere else that I could read it, I would have probably lived with it, as everything works great.

With that much space, if you get rid of the mechanical speedo, you could have such an awesome, full digital display.

I can't believe you called my baby ugly... words can hurt Jack.;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png