Quote Originally Posted by ultrafxr View Post
Kevin we were in Nova Scotia several years ago and are going back this July ourselves. I have not been to Newfoundland and would like to go. Only drawback is the VERY long ferry ride - 7 hours to the Southwest part and 16 hours to the Southeast part. https://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/pla...ailing-Routes/

And J. Carolyn is not fond of ferry rides, lol. But with that said I did get her to agree to take the ferry from Portland, ME, to Yarmouth, NS, and it is a 5 hour sail. Then the ferry from Cape Breton Island to Prince Edward Island is a bit over an hour.

In any case I'll PM you some information I've developed for our upcoming trip and from our previous trip. I can include GPS routes if you'd like. And we can meet and go over all this in person which might be helpful to you and Mary.

BTW you've already gotten some very excellent suggestions most of which I'm aware from my previous trip. And yes, do ride the Cabot Trail counterclockwise in order to stay near the water. And since you are fond of unpaved roads at the northeast end of the trail before it turns west you can go to Meat Cove. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Cove

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...va_Scotia.html

We rode to Meat Cove on our previous trip. You'll love it!

Regards,

Jerry
Jerry, thank you for the tips, and I definitely will be calling to get together to go over what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by bingle50 View Post
The ride to Basques is not too bad in the chairs, take something to read, game to play or something to distract you for a few hours and your there. The only rub is the ferry leaves the dock mid day and it is getting dark by the time you make port. You really need to have you lodging set for the night, other wise it is a scramble. If you head to St. Johns (highly recommended) it is a 16 hour ferry ride back. You really want to book a cabin, worth every penny. Caution, that ferry does not run daily, be sure to check the schedule. The ferry pulls out early evening, after a little time in the lounge and a decent meal, head to the room for adult beverages or what ever and snooze the night away.

Planning the days business on the roof top deck at our hotel in Sydney NS. Note the white buildings across the water and to my right; that is the ferry terminal in North Sydney (not Sydney), they are not the same and a lot of people get bit by that. Yep it is right there, just across the water, from the hotel, it is a 45 minute bike ride to the ferry terminal at N. Sydney from the hotel in Sydney.

Attachment 66824

The Ferry to Basques; strongly recommend you bring your own soft ties and straps, does not take much room and sure does make things so much easier.

We did not need the straps, the crossing was so smooth but you never know.

Attachment 66821

Going back to Sydney, it has been a tough day, we left St. Johns early and hit some back roads (dirt and gravel on a few) to see some out of the way places. She was a real trouper......a little worse for wear but all will be well. This photo is mid ship, this is not a small ferry by any means.

Attachment 66822

Our cabin, coffee pot, fridge, private shower and all the hot water you want, queen bed was really comfortable, sat. TV. Close the curtains and you might as well be at the Hilton (the rooms were not quite that big but they were great) You might want to pack snacks if you indulge, there is limited selection on the ferry and everything is a bit pricey. We had great plans of heading out on the deck after sunset to watch the moon, take a deck chair while sipping on adult beverages, great plans.....what really happened is we took hot showers, went to dinner, went back to the room and that was that. So very done, the bed was comfy, I think I was gone by 9PM.......big adventurer I am! HA!

Attachment 66823

Hope this helps
Thank you for the tips! North Sydney...North Sydney...gotta remember that one.

Had not considered the 16 hour ferry...but, if we go to St. Johns, NL, it is over a 9 hour back to the other ferry port, so it may be worth it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbozo View Post
I meant CCW (Counter Clockwise). Too much laughing gas and digital watches.

Oh, and just to defend PEI, there is great kayaking there. Very quaint driving around. Only been there in car while on business. Eventually I will ride back to area.
Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
We took our grandson 10 and granddaughter 7 from Michigan to Maine, than to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Didn't have a trike than, but the g kids had their Sea Kayaks. We went to Hopewell Rocks Park in New Brunwick, where we paddled thru sea caves, than walked thru the same caves 2 hours later. They have 50 foot tides there so the rivers reverse direction twice a day. Cape Breton Islands Cabot Trail is a good ride. We saw several whales from the road. No gas on the north end of the island, but a beautiful ride. Much better than the mainland. We also saw a native Celtic Ceremony.
Thank you! Appreciate the tips!

Kevin