Exhaust install instructions

Apr 3, 2016
columbia, ct usa
Recently, I bought a head pipe for my 2015 with the Cat removed in an effort to reduce heat. I'd like to have a go at replacing it myself. Anyone know where I might find an "step-by-step, instruction sheet", if such a thing exists, or preferable a video specifically for a triglide? Most, if not all videos I found are for two wheelers. Thanks

I would check out utube ... or just google replacing head pipe on XXXX Harley triglide

Having said that and having done my own more than once, the only real cautions are:

1) When you remove the exhaust bolt/stud on the head, if you snap one, you have major work to drill them out and clean the threads and replace them.

2) The oxygen sensors are a little touchy and I recommend you purchase a O2 sensor socket from Harley that fits.

I got to where I allowed Harley to swap the head pipes out. My local dealer only charges an hour labor ($99) and that was worth it to me to not risk breaking a bolt/stud or damaging an O2 sensor. The thought is, they break it, they fix it. JMHO.

I would check out utube ... or just google replacing head pipe on XXXX Harley triglide

Having said that and having done my own more than once, the only real cautions are:

1) When you remove the exhaust bolt/stud on the head, if you snap one, you have major work to drill them out and clean the threads and replace them.

2) The oxygen sensors are a little touchy and I recommend you purchase a O2 sensor socket from Harley that fits.

I got to where I allowed Harley to swap the head pipes out. My local dealer only charges an hour labor ($99) and that was worth it to me to not risk breaking a bolt/stud or damaging an O2 sensor. The thought is, they break it, they fix it. JMHO.

I think you're probably right. Thanks

Pain in the ...!

I have performed this install 3 or four times and I dread it every time. It is a PITA. You need to be patient for sure. I am pretty sure Fuelmoto USA has a good video on you tube of one of their guys installing a new head pipe. You might look at several of them. I never checked with a HD dealer about installing mine. However, If they will do it for $100 or so I would DO IT IN A MINUTE! I usually do most all of my service and installing parts etc, but I will gladly let HD do it for that price. I just always figured they would want at least $150.00 or more.

Here is a pretty good video for you. It is on a two wheeler but it pertains to your trike also. Is is actually a little harder than they guy makes it looks (skips ahead a little every now and then) but it shows all that is involved. Be careful when you get the flanges loose and get the collars down for enough to be out of the way. Also, if you decide to do this and replace the exhaust gaskets, put them in the freezer first. It makes them a little easier to get in. Also, the big round gasket that goes in the crossover pipe is a royal pain if you have to replace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBeGclSOqWA

*****Please note that he is wrong in the video....the exhaust flange bolts should be in INCH POUNDS>>>>NOT FOOT POUNDS*****

Last edited:
I have performed this install 3 or four times and I dread it every time. It is a PITA. You need to be patient for sure. I am pretty sure Fuelmoto USA has a good video on you tube of one of their guys installing a new head pipe. You might look at several of them. I never checked with a HD dealer about installing mine. However, If they will do it for $100 or so I would DO IT IN A MINUTE! I usually do most all of my service and installing parts etc, but I will gladly let HD do it for that price. I just always figured they would want at least $150.00 or more.

Here is a pretty good video for you. It is on a two wheeler but it pertains to your trike also. Is is actually a little harder than they guy makes it looks (skips ahead a little every now and then) but it shows all that is involved. Be careful when you get the flanges loose and get the collars down for enough to be out of the way. Also, if you decide to do this and replace the exhaust gaskets, put them in the freezer first. It makes them a little easier to get in. Also, the big round gasket that goes in the crossover pipe is a royal pain if you have to replace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBeGclSOqWA

*****Please not that he is wrong in the video....the exhaust flange bolts should be in INCH POUNDS>>>>NOT FOOT POUNDS*****

That's a monumental error in an otherwise good video. Hard to see how they let that get out.

I agree.

That's a monumental error in an otherwise good video. Hard to see how they let that get out.

Yes, that video is 2 years old, and as you say it is otherwise a good video. They did correct it in a comment below the video, but they could easily get the person that produced the video to add a BOLD FACE line of text at that point correcting it and wouldn't have to change the video. Should be easy either way.

Makes my way of decating look even better. I take the heat shield off. Cut a window in the top of the cat and drill and air hammer with a chisel bit and dig the guts out, then weld the window back in. Costs a lot less than buying a pipe and paying someone to replace it.... But then I'm a retired Mack truck mechanic.....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png