too many miles?

I'm sure this will get echoed more than once.. Short answer - It depends..

Long answer - PROPER maintenance is going to be the biggest factor as to whether it's "too many miles" or not. I've seen trikes come into our facility with over 100K that I wouldn't hesitate to hop & on go almost anywhere on. I've also seen units with 30,000 miles that I was scared to take down the road for a simple test drive.

Items you may see or have issues with in an older unit (pre 06 would be 4 lug wheels) -

Axles are custom and are NOT the same length as the 5 lug Motor Trike axles. 4 lug wheels to fit a MT conversion are NOT easily found and aren't readily produced anymore. Axles you would have to have custom made (MT can still get them but the lead time is up there & there are cheaper ways). Wheels if you can find, lucky you; if not you're looking at custom wheel pricing. Folks who call me I typically recommend them sending their axles to someone like Moser to have a new set made with a 5 lug pattern instead of the 4 lug to open up wheel availability options.

If the unit has a progressive style air shock (see picture below), they are no longer available & Progressive no longer offers a repair service for them (they claim the vendor that supplied parts to make these no longer does so). Which means if you have a shock issue you're going to have to get the coil over shocks for the more current kits AND an air bag retrofit package to convert the suspension over (does require welding on the frame and rear end). If the bike was converted prior to 2006 it would have these shocks unless it's already been updated by someone.

416 shock.JPG

Beyond the above things that should be taken into consideration are condition of suspension (ladder bars, heim joints, panhard bar, etc). I've seen deals that were too good to be true but were legitimately awesome deals & I've talked to people who got a "great deal" only to invest thousands of dollars into parts & labor.

You'll also have to consider maintenance for the motorcycle. On a bike with that sort of mileage while reliable as the GL1800 is, without documented maintenance records with specifics I would be hesitant (so many claim perfectly maintained but can't produce a single record to back up the claim).

Inspect the motorcycle frame below the battery box & on the other side in same area. 05-dn GL1800 frames were "weak" in this area & well documented for cracks which are signs of a sure to come major issue. I found the below pictures with a basic internet search to reference. The "cause" when it was happened was pretty heavily debated in multiple forums & discussion. I can't tell you "why", but I know it's happened on 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles alike (a few 2 wheel bikes didn't have a trailer hitch added either, which adds to the "why" questions).

Capture.JPG 1800 frame.jpg

Not trying to "overload" or create a paranoid concern, but these are all things that are worth being aware of & knowing about before hand. These are all things that need to be considered and or looked at no matter the trike manufacturer or bike. Every "major" trike mfg out there makes a quality conversion, but they are only as long lived as the care taken to keep them up.

:gah::Trike1::Coffee:

Clearly I needed more coffee when I posted that dang novel! I was clearly stuck on "GL1800" and clearly missed that huge glaring 2000 year model on the post...

Ignore the entire part about the frame, that's not relevant for a GL1500.. Next time I'll drink more coffee before posting replies!

:gah::Trike1::Coffee:

Clearly I needed more coffee when I posted that dang novel! I was clearly stuck on "GL1800" and clearly missed that huge glaring 2000 year model on the post...

Ignore the entire part about the frame, that's not relevant for a GL1500.. Next time I'll drink more coffee before posting replies!

All good info ... and entertaining to boot.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png