Kuryakyn Accessories

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Okay ... so maybe it's just because I "reuse my accessories ... but it seems to me that after two or so installs and un installs ... the fasteners tend to fail. Today I went to the garage to start measuring for the new wiring harness for accessories, and on the garage floor was a head to a cap screw.

If you've seen the pictures of my garage, you might think that was kind of a normal state. But, I'm really careful about screws and such on the floor. Had one too many flat tires from a screw in the tire.

So I checked the area around where the cap head was ... sure enough, one on the cap screws on the ergo II highway peg mounts had failed. Strange that it did happen until like a week after I mounted it.

Removed the other three and was able to just unscrew the failed one with a vice grip, no drill and tap. So tomorrow, I'll get 8 and replace them all.

Anyone notice this with Kuryakyn stuff? This is the first failure of a for Goldwing part. The HD stuff seemed to do this more often. Maybe more vibration?

Anyone notice this with Kuryakyn stuff? This is the first failure of a for Goldwing part. The HD stuff seemed to do this more often. Maybe more vibration?[/QUOTE]

I have used a boat load of Kuryakyn accessories over the years on the Heritage and never had that problem. Knock on wood. I would imagine the shear strength on any fastener may weaken after being used multiple times. Just guessing.

Okay ... so even though I'm still paying for the big VA day, I did go out and replace all the 1/4" 20 cap screws that hold on the Ergo II Highway peg mounts. Did do a torque wrench at 15 ft lbms. I feel better knowing that the fasteners are SS and torqued appropriately.

I would use Grade 8 fasteners, especially where much pressure can be applied. Such as foot rests/pegs, floor boards:

"It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. ... Therefore, when compared to regular steel, the stainless alloys used in bolts are slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners."

I would use Grade 8 fasteners, especially where much pressure can be applied. Such as foot rests/pegs, floor boards:

"It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. ... Therefore, when compared to regular steel, the stainless alloys used in bolts are slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners."

Not a lot of stress on the highway peg mounts ... I use SS because it's a bike and I WILL GET CAUGHT IN WEATHER. Just a given.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png