Solid Axle or Independent Suspension

I am thinking about an outrigger style trike conversion, leaning toward Voyager, but after further research I might consider Lehman. I do not know whether to go with the solid axle or independent suspension. My brother-in-law has a Tri Glide, probably around 2012 model year. He says he has a solid axle and loves it. Opinions? TIA

I just converted my 2009 Harley FLHTCU to three wheels. I choose the Champion IRS kit which I am extremely pleased with. In my opinion, the ride is way better than the Triglides that I have test ridden. My wife who often rides two-up with me is also please with the comfort level. Since Champion bought Lehman a few years ago, I believe the Champion and Lehman IRS kits are the same.

IRS or HD style straight rear end for comfort ?

New guy , doing my research before I pull the trigger on three wheels.

I would like some clarity over which type is preferred, IRS / or solid axle .

Pro's and con's of each ??

Thank you in advance for answers.

CSC

We decided on a California Side Car IRS. On order, not converted yet. Going on recommendations and own observations. Lengthened wheel base for a better ride and larger storage capacity than the others, plus 5 year warranty. Due to IRS and lengthened wheel base supposed to be a better ride for passenger, and my sister who rides behind her husband on a TriGlide she supports this. Even though they like theirs, they are comparing to a 2 wheeler, not to other conversions. Also, in our area, we had better luck with CSC as far as finding a local installer. A big decision was seeing some other conversions this guy had done. Anticipating a quality job.

I have owned both solid and independent. I liked them both.

As driver I thought the solid was fine, handled very well but....never carried a passenger.

Currently, as driver of the independent I think the ride and handling is fine....but again, I never carry a passenger.

From various people I have spoken with over the years it seems the passenger often prefers the independent suspension...but then there are those who have no complaints...

Best give both a good try before you decide.

Stunningly beautiful

I have owned both solid and independent. I liked them both.

As driver I thought the solid was fine, handled very well but....never carried a passenger.

Currently, as driver of the independent I think the ride and handling is fine....but again, I never carry a passenger.

From various people I have spoken with over the years it seems the passenger often prefers the independent suspension...but then there are those who have no complaints...

Best give both a good try before you decide.

That's the problem, trying them both .

I can probably arrange a test ride on the HD at one of the local dealers if they have one available.

I rode a friends Goldwing trike several years ago , but he is in Fl. and I'm in NC . No idea where I could find a GW trike to test to see if I like it better.

I suppose I could show up at a trike rally , beg and plead , and maybe some kind soul would let me ride theirs.

You can find trike shops in your area by contacting the major manufacturers of conversions and they'll direct you to someone local. Some shops have demo units for you to take a test ride.

You can find trike shops in your area by contacting the major manufacturers of conversions and they'll direct you to someone local. Some shops have demo units for you to take a test ride.

Thanks, I know someone who works at the local Honda shop.

It just dawned on me that

they had a Goldwing trike available for sale a few weeks ago . I'll call my contact and see what I might arrange.

Then I'll do the same with a local HD dealer and see if I can test or rent one.

By then I'll be so confused, and have so many questions, but from the activity on this forum I bet I can get them all answered.

I have the Corvette mind set ( actually it's a Porsche mind set)

But my tired old bones have me thinking that a Cadillac is more my style ,

( I'm driving a 2010 Lexus RX350 at the moment)

I like the idea of the Goldwing for all that it can haul , enclosed fairing , and it seems like they run forever with normal low maintenance costs. Almost no heat off the engine. But depending on which kit you buy . You are at the mercy of the skill of the installer . It's not a factory design .

I like the more stripped down"hot rod look "of the Freewheeler , lot's of heat off the motor, my experience with HD's

is that HD really means Hundred Dollar ,and they seem to be more maintenance intensive .

All though the HD is specifically designed by engineers who ,

I am sure are way smarter than me.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png