2018 Freewheeler Fork Slider info needed.

Jul 11, 2018
Farmville,Va,USA
Hello, would anyone have a set of take off oem fork sliders still hanging around from a chrome front end switch. I need a over all length measurement. I want to install the PM lowers with the hidden axles but everyone including PM say it wont work because the forks are longer but no one can tell me why it wont work specifically, ie the slider is longer or the fork tube or just what. I really hate the standard HD answer "it wont work" because we don't make it, yet.

thanks for any info

18Wheeler

Reactions: GTK
Can't answer your question,but you hit the nail on the head with HD standard answer of whether something will work or not.

Just looked at the PM legs. It could be the internals. Call Tim at Custom Cycle Engineering. 760-941-6487

He is the expert on tubes and legs. He helped me "discover" what the Freewheeler had going on. Likely (if it is internals) he can help you bridge the gap with a new set of tubes that will fit the FLRT Trees at the right length for use with different internals and the PM lowers.

Welcome to the world of FLRT Customizing. :Dorag:

Just looked at the PM legs. It could be the internals. Call Tim at Custom Cycle Engineering. 760-941-6487

He is the expert on tubes and legs. He helped me "discover" what the Freewheeler had going on. Likely (if it is internals) he can help you bridge the gap with a new set of tubes that will fit the FLRT Trees at the right length for use with different internals and the PM lowers.

Welcome to the world of FLRT Customizing. :Dorag:

Thank you Free Bird, That's the measurement I was looking for. I have compared the part numbers to my 18 RGU frontend and pretty much everything but the seals and bushings are different # wise but HD likes changing part numbers alot. I was just figuring it was due to the weight difference. I have the take off sliders off my RGU from where I did a Native Fat tire kit. I will pull a tape line on them when I get home this evening. Loving your Build cant wait to see it finished. I tried to convince the Wife to let me do wide rear tires on hers but that was a no go hahaha. She is not much into customizing "lucky me" but she did find some wheels she liked and she loves the fat front tire look on mine so that's what I am trying to work out. Thanks for the info.

Hey Free Bird is it the angle of the pic or did you "burn an inch" on that measurement. I measured my oem RGU lowers and they are 15" long.

Thanks again

The picture sucks, but I stood them upright on the table to measure from the lowest point to the rim. 16.5" What year is your bike Mine is 2017

(What is RGU)

38908241_10205380115138775_2778937479388987392_n.jpg
The picture sucks, but I stood them upright on the table to measure from the lowest point to the rim. 16.5" What year is your bike Mine is 2017

(What is RGU)

thank you Free Bird, we (hers) have a 2018 Free Wheeler aka "The Blue Bee". I also have a 2018 "RGU", Road Glide Ultra aka "The Freight Train". looks like they are the same front end from 14 up from what I can tell on the tri glides and freewheelers.

thank you Free Bird, we (hers) have a 2018 Free Wheeler aka "The Blue Bee". I also have a 2018 "RGU", Road Glide Ultra aka "The Freight Train". looks like they are the same front end from 14 up from what I can tell on the tri glides and freewheelers.

Ha! Got it. Thanks for the Letter lesson.

I just checked again. 16.5" If you want something more accurate I can take it to the shop. It's about 1/32 shy of 16.5 just by eyeball. Were you able to call Tim.. I'll bet he can solve the PM mystery. My guess is still the bolt hole at the bottom and compatibility with the internals (FLRT vs FLHR family)

Ha! Got it. Thanks for the Letter lesson.

I just checked again. 16.5" If you want something more accurate I can take it to the shop. It's about 1/32 shy of 16.5 just by eyeball. Were you able to call Tim.. I'll bet he can solve the PM mystery. My guess is still the bolt hole at the bottom and compatibility with the internals (FLRT vs FLHR family)

Thank you Free Bird, tape line and eyeball is good enough. mine is also about a 32nd shy of 15 also. I haven't reached out to Tim yet. scared of the cost of custom fork tubes hahaha. may just settle with machining the OEM lowers to clear the wider tire and get them chromed. I have an email in to Native to see if they keep OEM chrome/machined trike sliders on the shelf "since it wont work hahahaha" or if I need to send them mine to get machined and chromed. Since the PM Route might get really costly. haven't decided yet.

Thank you Free Bird, tape line and eyeball is good enough. mine is also about a 32nd shy of 15 also. I haven't reached out to Tim yet. scared of the cost of custom fork tubes hahaha. may just settle with machining the OEM lowers to clear the wider tire and get them chromed. I have an email in to Native to see if they keep OEM chrome/machined trike sliders on the shelf "since it wont work hahahaha" or if I need to send them mine to get machined and chromed. Since the PM Route might get really costly. haven't decided yet.

Yeah... Hard chrome fork tubes are ~$450/set. I have a 4" Over set if you ever put raked trees on and want a "chopper" look.

Freewheeler triple trees are narrower than the rest of the touring family trees. They are not FLHR trees. Here are 2017 Freewheeler Trees

Trees.jpg

Here are 2017 Road King Tees

FLHR Trees.jpg

So make sure to define the spacing needed between the tubes when defining how much to mill off the sliders.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png