Making the Fat Bottom Girl an "AMG" Edition.

Recovery is not quite like what we see on some of the veterinarian programs. Where surgery is performed, then go to commercial......return and pet is all chipper running and jumping. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Recovery is not quite like what we see on some of the veterinarian programs. Where surgery is performed, then go to commercial......return and pet is all chipper running and jumping. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Me too ... she's way more alert this am ... not interested in food yet, but, she's drinking water. Her bandage came off this am when I took her out to potty ... the swelling went down and it just fell off. The vet said this is not anything to worry about, actually a good sign. I'm praying for her, so, I'm sure she'll be fine.

No geezer visit today ... the little dog needs me more ... :D

Score

I found a set of Vance and Hines Slip Ons on eBay. They are used, but they are the old style from like 06. I had a set of these on my 07 Ultra. Liked the sound and more importantly, they mellowed right out at highway speeds.

Guess even though I'm getting older, still want the Harley Experience ... LOL ... yea ... the rumble. I would put these in the not loud, but, not in the mellow category. I really liked them on the 07, so, I think the Fat Bottom Girl will like them.

Mufflers 258.98 Vance & Hines.jpg

Mufflers Vane & Hines  D700:1RC #U4319 .jpg

The condition is not new, but, most of them will be under the trike ... :D

Oh Yea ... as and update, my God Dog is doing pretty good. She is putting a little weight on it and is eating and all the bodily functions are working ... I've had to keep the cone on her ... tried to take it off and she instantly went to the staples ... cone is back on. Looks like she might be wearing it at least until the staples are removed and maybe a week after that. Her mom has come to see her every day, but, she won't be able to for all this week ... that nasty work thing ... she works for a health care company and does accounting and the 1st week of the month is a nightmare ... paper cuts I'm guessing ... :AGGHH: ... I don't have a clue what goes on in accounting.

I did get a little garage digging time yesterday ... God Dog was sleeping a lot ... I managed to find my extended shift levers ... I'll be putting them on when I get a chance .. this nursing thing is hard work ... LOL. I also found my "de catted" head pipe ... in the rafters, go figure. Not sure when that will get put on.

Still Nursing the God Dog ... but

Mom took a shift ... it's not that she needs to do anything ... just someone needs to keep the dog calmer ... she's a little hyper on her best days (the dog, not mom) so keeping her calm is a chore. Anyway ... mom said she'd sit with her for an hour or so and let me work on the trike a little.

I was sitting on it Friday while the God Dog was having surgery and trying to get the back rest just right. Leaned into it pretty good and you guessed it, there was a crack and I thought the backrest was finished.

Took it apart and my verdict was yes ... my $60 Chinese backrest including mounting bracket (Check they HD web sight and you'll see the back rest is $199 and the mounting hardware is also $199, no doubt the quality is better) was shot. So I took to eBay looking for a used HD backrest only. The mounting bracket is almost exactly like the HD one. Just painted black instead of the zinc coating. Only found one and it was a different shape and tan ... wouldn't look good on my black seat.

So I kind of resigned myself to a $199 HD backrest. But, Sunday evening I was thinking about the broken rest. If I could shape a piece of aluminum or steel sheet metal, to fit into the broken pan of the backrest, then I could pop rivet it to the broken pan and put the three screws through it, the pan, and the mounting arms, maybe, just maybe it would stiffen it up and salvage it.

I took it all apart, made a cardboard template and used it to make an 1/8" aluminum pan liner from some of the same aluminum I got from Don for the trailer rock guards ... yep ... I'm a pack rat ... you've seen my garage ... LOL. While working on the aluminum, I put lots of superglue on the cracks ... might help.

I cut it out and went to an old pool cover reel and started to curve it to fit the pan. Took some time and patience (not my strong suit) but I finally got it to fit the plastic pan fairly well. The plastic pan had some raised "ribs", I'm guessing for strength, that prevented the aluminum pan from sitting flush with the plastic pan where the three screws hold the mounting arms to the back pad. It was just a tad under over a 1/4" gap, so I made two rectangular spacers out of the same aluminum. Sandwiched all the layers together with clamps and drilled the mounting holes. Tried to use the original screws, but, they were too short. Dug into my screw box and got three longer ones. Bolted this all together and it just didn't feel "right", the aluminum and the plastic didn't work as one. I had forgot the pop rivets, I drilled and pop riveted the two together in four spots and voila ... it passed the "Alan Test" ... well ... not sure it would pass the "Alan leaning his fat A$$ back hard test" ... but it's at least as strong as a stock HD one.

Here's a pic of the super glue and the rivets. I also made backers for the rivets to keep it strong. Made a mess with the super glue, was gonna sand it a little and paint it black ... nah ... can't see it anyway:

Backrest Back Rivets.jpg

Here is a pic of the aluminum pan installed and ready to accept the pad and cover:

Backrest Repair.jpg

Getting the pad and cover back on was a little challenging, I'm guessing the extra width of the aluminum made it tough. But, I persisted and here it is on the trike:

Backrest Repaired.jpg

Maybe some day I'll spring for the "Official HD Backrest" .. but until then ... this one has worked well on I think three bikes now, at least 2 for sure.

Next came the extended shift arms. I swear I had two of them on my 15 Tri, but, as you can see in this pic, two of these wasn't gonna work, the front one would be into the lower faring:

Extended Shifter Installed.jpg

The extended I found are not the ones I had on the 15 Tri ... those were the Harley ones and they are only 1" longer. The ones I found are like 1 3/4" longer. Didn't measure, but, you can see a lot longer than an inch.

Shifter Difference.jpg

So ... I opted for just the one on the heal shifter ... it blocks the parking brake a bit, but there is about 2-3" between the shifter height and the parking brake height ... I can get my muck lucks (heavy winter 1/2 boots) in to set the brake easily, so this is good. Here it is installed:

2019-04-02 10.56.01.jpg

So that is all for now ... I did text Don and since the mufflers will be here this week, he's open to do the head pipe and mufflers with me on next Tuesday, weather permitting. I need to get to Harley and pick up head gaskets and a couple of muffler clamps ... always replace them when messing with the slip ons. I'm hoping my Infotainment Manual will come in so I can make just one trip ... LOL. Will definitely pick them up before Saturday.

I've already downloaded the appropriate Fuel Motto starting "map", and am all ready to get her a little more Harley like ... won't be really loud, not like Harley Quinn was ... more of a gentle rumble and when "getting on it", it will bark. But, I am confident it will be more mellow at highway speeds, my 07 was so should be kewl. We'll see ... LOL.

Question

While waiting for my Infotainment Manual, does anyone know what the little INF (looks like INF to me without my glasses, might be INT) icon in the bottom of the screen is???? I don't remember. It's between the SiriusXM icon and the HD bar and shield at the bottom.

2019-04-02 12.24.47.jpg

While waiting for my Infotainment Manual, does anyone know what the little INF (looks like INF to me without my glasses, might be INT) icon in the bottom of the screen is???? I don't remember. It's between the SiriusXM icon and the HD bar and shield at the bottom.

View attachment 69873

It is INT - for intercom. When the intercom is activated it goes solid. Ditto for CB. If you had a CB there would be a CB icon next to the INT icon.

It is INT - for intercom. When the intercom is activated it goes solid. Ditto for CB. If you had a CB there would be a CB icon next to the INT icon.

So how do I turn it off ... since I'm fairly certain my little dog Harley is not gonna answer me ... and does the bike need to have the Whim thingie to use the intercom?

So how do I turn it off ... since I'm fairly certain my little dog Harley is not gonna answer me ... and does the bike need to have the Whim thingie to use the intercom?

No, no WHIM needed. If you and a passenger have headsets with speakers and mics you can converse via the Intercom. To turn it off from the Hom Screen go to Set Up and you will see an option for intercom and can turn it off.

No, no WHIM needed. If you and a passenger have headsets with speakers and mics you can converse via the Intercom. To turn it off from the Hom Screen go to Set Up and you will see an option for intercom and can turn it off.

Thanks ... I did that ... and played around with the settings ... my radio was out of date ... LOL ... Imagine that

2019-04-02 16.22.20.jpg

I don't know how the numbering works .... but ... it seems like it was really out of date.

Now it is current according to the Owners tab.

Update on the God Dog

She is getting better every day ... thinking this will be a slow process. She will put weight on it to walk slow, but, when she wants to motor, she picks it up and runs ... that's where I come in ... my job is to ensure she don't run and walks slow to get her to use it.

It's fairly comical to watch her walk ... her head goes to the right when she steps on her rear left leg (the repaired one) and to the left when she puts weight on the rear right. The resulting action is kind of like those articulated toy lizards ... a slither almost ... not sure why she does that (although, it might be to counter balance the weight shifts????), but, it's hard not to laugh at her. I don't because I don't want to hurt her feelings (dog are people too).

There have been improvements every day and all systems are working. She is getting used to the "rules" for her recovery, no running or jumping, wearing the cone so she doesn't tear the staples out etc.

So now it is just a matter of time.

Back to the FBG

After the radio updates, I notice one of the AMG thingies was "off". I concentrated so much on getting the offset with the Tri Glide badging even on the front fender I had the offset before the Tri Glide on the Front right side.

FR.jpg

I used the fender rivets to get the offset just right ... LOL ... but it does look goofy.

I pulled it off, re taped it and put it back on with the same offset but on the other side of the Tri Glide.

FR New.jpg

Looks better, at least to my eye ... which may not be all that straight ... LOL.

Another Score

So I had been bidding on a rear bumper for the FBG ... I entered a max bid of $166 two thirds of what a new one would cost ($249). I won the auction and got a deal ... LOL ... only paid $165.61 ... saved $0.39.

Rear Bumper 165.61 Harley.jpg

One more thing to install, but, I think I'm where I want to be ... might do the love jugs ... but the rest of the riding season is gonna be for riding. :D

Okay ... maybe one more

So ... while nursing the sick puppy (Literally) ... I was drooling over some of the HD stuff on their web site and adding things to my wish list ... probably none of it is gonna happen, but who knows.

I did have a "light bulb" moment ... well at least by my standards ... LOL.

I'm gonna get one of these:

493399.jpg

And I have purchased two of these that I will coat with Verathane (-5Sp) with UV protection and mount in the clean smooth area on both sides ... :D:

USN Badging 14.18 .jpg

They are exactly the same size as the HD offerings and way more personal to me.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png