Cutting antennas

Oct 19, 2011
GLEN ELLYN, IL. USA
I would like to slip a small flag on the base of each antenna, but I can't get the flags over the caps on the ends. Can I clip off the caps and then glue a cap back on? I can't think cutting 1/2" from each antenna would hurt anything. Am I wrong? Any other suggestions? Heating with a heat gun maybe?

I cut mine when I had the TRI. and didn't affect anything. Dont they still have set screws holding in the antenna to the base spring?

Antennas are cut to a wave length ether for receiving or transmit. It's not advisable to cut unless you are tiring to tune it. You can try stripping just the rubber tip off with out changing the length. Then you can slip your flag over the top. Then glue a vacuum line cap on top for protection. Personally I would just sew the flag around the ant.

I'm not sure I'd put a flag on the antenna ... at 75 mph that's gonna put some stress on the antenna, I know the HD antenna flag mounts state for parade use only for that very reason.

Reactions: MDO
You don't say what kind of antenna it is. If it is for receiving broadcast radio, you won't notice a difference. If it is CB, watch out. You may be making it too short which could cause the RF output transistors to overheat and fail.

Remember, electrical stuff works on smoke. If the smoke gets out, they quit working.

I'm not sure I'd put a flag on the antenna ... at 75 mph that's gonna put some stress on the antenna, I know the HD antenna flag mounts state for parade use only for that very reason.

I'm with Fuzzy on this. Mounting flags on the antennae is a bad idea imo.

Even a small flag is gonna stress the antenna ... ever put your hand out the window of a car at 70mph ... lots of force ... it might be okay .. and HD antennas aren't that pricy, like $25, so you could try it ... another issue might be if the flag ever stretched and slid down on the "fat" part of the antenna, it would scratch the paint flipping around ... just playing "devils advocate" ... looking at plusses and minuses ... :D

At least your putting the flag on an American [For now anyway] Trike.....I Get a kick out of the nimrods with an American flag on a Japanese vehicle..:laugh:...

A small 3" x 5" shouldn't effect the antennas at all down by the base. Worked OK on my older bikes. The caps came off them fine, but not the newer antennas.

Then I'd have to cut holes in the flags to run the zip ties thru. Then the flags would really tear apart.

Go to a Walmart and in the fabric/crafts aisle get a tube of Liquid Stitch. Fold the end of the Flag around the antenna and glue the fabric together.....Just don't make it too tight around the antenna so it can swivel in the wind...The Liquid Stitch is water proof and its almost like you sewed it on...Ive used it on my leather motorcycle jacket to fix a rip, And its held up for years....ThumbUp

A small 3" x 5" shouldn't effect the antennas at all down by the base. Worked OK on my older bikes. The caps came off them fine, but not the newer antennas.

Are you really and truly talking about a 3 inch by 5 inch(small 3" x 5" ) flag? What kind of material? Cotton at 70mph will do damage to an antenna even mounted at the base. Polyester you might be okay. Now any damage might not show for awhile, but if you think about how much flapping around a flag will do, at some point you'll see the damage. Especially on the whip antennas. Some of that damage might be the paint on the tour pak if you get the flag too close. If you have the short antennas you might be okay as they are stiffer. All in all I think anything on the antenna is not good.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snewt

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snewt
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png