Head Scratcher

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
I am basically cutting and pasting because I suspect this may have gotten kind of lost in the "Making FBG" thread.

Here's a scenario: Did a run to Green River, Ut., 110 miles one way.

Between Grand Junction and Green River there are some significant hills (In Texas y'all would call them mountains ... :D ... around here ... anything under 8k is a foot hill. They don't call the Rockies "The Continental Divide" for Nothing). Anyway, I set the cruise at 75 mph.

Here is the weird part, and maybe someone can explain this to me, cause I'm at a loss. With the cruise set at 75 mph, the FBG flew up these hills. On the longest and steepest, just west of Mack, it only dropped to 74 mph, then came right back. About 10 miles into Utah, I came up on one of those triple trailer rigs .. I hate those. I took it out of cruise and hit the throttle .. slight incline, but, fairly long. I got to 85/90 pretty quick and flew past the rig, on the other side, I put it back in cruise.

So here is the question, am I supposed to be able to make that kind of "guiddy up" with the OEM slip ons? I have always .. with every Harley I've ever owned, done the stage one and slip ons like day one. On this one i did a stage one, but the exhaust is stock, I think. I love the quiet ... yep getting old ... could the PO have "modded" the OEM slip ons with some quiet, power producing baffles??? i looked, they don't look like they have been cut or drilled .. just weird. Is there any bad effects the OEM's could have on the engine with the stage one, I'm thinking the Power Vision will just tune accordingly ... Let me know your thoughts.

Don't know when H-D changed the tranny sprocket on the TGs to 30 tooth but that makes a tremendous difference in acceleration. Maybe your first TG had the 32 tooth sprocket?

Fuzzy, I'm with you in that I'm liking a quieter bike,I did however change head pipes and mufflers and as a stocker it ran VERY well!! Of course being me I have now added the Andrews 48 cams and Target Tune to the mix!!😁

I'm confused. ..Are you trying to figure out why your new HD Trike runs so well?:)

Yes .... You get me :D

Actually ... I've always been told the Harleys run like a dog with the OEM mufflers. So, I've never had one with OEM pipes. Even new Harleys I've purchased have had after market or HD "upgraded" mufflers as part of the deal. So ... I'm just a bit surprised that this thing has as much umpf as it does. I'm still tuning and working to get to small numbers in the "learned" column. It's taking some time, because the configuration is a little different.

Yes .... You get me :D

Actually ... I've always been told the Harleys run like a dog with the OEM mufflers. So, I've never had one with OEM pipes. Even new Harleys I've purchased have had after market or HD "upgraded" mufflers as part of the deal. So ... I'm just a bit surprised that this thing has as much umpf as it does. I'm still tuning and working to get to small numbers in the "learned" column. It's taking some time, because the configuration is a little different.

I know you have a TC and I have an M8 so not exactly the same. But mine is bone stock and it runs like a scalded cat. Even stronger than my 2017 CVO Limited with the 114" M8 and that's due to the 30 tooth sprocket I think. Plenty strong enough for me. Now I've been through changing out the A/C and mufflers and sometimes head pipe but on this one I ain't doing nothin' to it. It runs so strong and fine I don't have to pay any 'Harley tax' to enjoy it!

Fuzzy count the counter shaft pulley Posserider says his 31 tooth Andrews pulley is the ticket for both worlds power and cruising speed... just sayin:Shrug: enjoy it! Fred

Fuzzy count the counter shaft pulley Posserider says his 31 tooth Andrews pulley is the ticket for both worlds power and cruising speed... just sayin:Shrug: enjoy it! Fred

Could be ... I'll check it tomorrow, but, this thing is so stock ... well was ... I doubt anyone did anything that big to it ... but I'll check ... what should it be if it's a stock 14?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png