Mt. Rushmore

Sounds like you'll be going through there close to the dates for Sturgis.....rooms anywhere may be at a premium

I live in Grand Island Nebraska and when we would travel to South Dakota, we would always stop at Wall South Dakota on the way to Sturgis and on the way home. It is the home of Wall Drug, has tourist attractions and restaurants.

The last time I was in South Dakota was with my family and my wife set us up for a Chuckwagen Supper and show at the Flying T in Rapid City. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I had a blast.

Deadwood is an interesting gambling town.

Back in the day we would take Highway 2 West out of Grand Island, we would continue west until we hit Halsey? or near there near a national forest (which was nice scenery, then north to the South Dakota Interstate then back West.

I hope this was helpful.

Denny

I saw 41 in WV remarks after my post. He is correct that the prices of everything go way up during the Sturgis event. I believe the Sturgis dates in 2011 are August 8th -14th. So if you go in late August you should be alright if you want to avoid the high prices.

Lot's of nice riding around Mt. Rushmore -- do Deadwood, Keystone, Lead, Spearfish, Crazyhorse monument, Badlands, Sturgis. If you have time, Devil's Tower over in Wyoming is a nice day ride, it just sticks up out of the middle of the prairie and you first see when you are 20 miles or so away.

We were in SD in 07 and stayed in Custer at the Rocket Motel. Not fancy by any means, but clean and very bike friendly and reasonable. There are all good rides from there. We did the Custer wildlife loop about 35 miles almost every day. You ride thru the buffalo and all kinds of wildlife. Spearfish canyon is about 70 miles , makes a good day ride by Deadwood and Sturgis. Custer is about 20 miles from Mt Rushmore, with some good riding to get there. The Needles road is a good ride also. We actually didn't find any bad rides there. Have a good trip.

Rapid City and Sturgis have quite a few nice hotels, all the major chains are there, Google search and you will a ton to choose from...we went through there on the way to Billings MT last year. We stayed in a lodge, a little pricy, but it was only one night. We stood on the deck and could see the faces of MT Rushmore...way cool..worth the 135.00 for the one night...
As for riding, pick a direction, all the roads are sweet....several hotels have the maps of the area...again Googles is your friend.

The lodge is:
KBarS Lodge
434 Old Hill City Rd.
Keystone, SD
605-666-4545

Web site
kbarslodge.com

Be sure to go back for the night program,your pass that you bought for the day is also good for the night program.
I am sure you will enjoy it.
:wave4::wave4::yes::yes:

Yes, the night show is great...also from the lodge we stayed in, we could see the faces at night, they have a spot light until 12:00 midnight

My dad and I have staid here The Lantern Inn - Hill City, South Dakota twice now while in SD, the owners are great folks and the rooms are clean. Like others have said, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Custer State Park is a great ride might see some Buffalo which we did this past July.

custerbuff.jpg

Needles Highway is a good ride if your into scenic twisty roads.

We spent two weeks there last May, when I was at Lehman. All good roads, all good rides. We moved from KOA Spearfish to KOA Custer, and finished at a KOA in the Badlands. We had the trike in the toyhauler, but they all have cabins to rent cheap.

The prices get even better (lower) if you go after Labor day weekend. That is when are planning on our trip north and west this year. Sturgis, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower and back down thru Denver/Silver City area to the canyons of Utah before heading back to Florida.
Tomg

If you or one of your fellow riders is military (active or retired) then Ellsworth Air Force Base in Rapid City has guest quarters that are very reasonable (under $40 a night) with superb accommodations. They also have a campsite for daily use also I believe.

There used to be cabins to rent in the KOA in Rapid City If I remember right ... We were out there in 2000 and had a blast but wall drug Pshssss never again !!!!!

Whats wrong with Wall Drug....
I had a blast... It was exactally what I expected...
A BIG kitchy (sp) tourist trap, WITH AN EXCEPTIONAL Hot roast beef sandwich, and homade ice cream....

Oh yes and LOTS of FREE Ice cold water...
But yes it is a tacky tourist trap.... but a LOT of fun!!!

Agree about Wall Drug. It is touristy, but fun. Al's Oasis in Chamberlain has good home-made pies too. Coffee is still only five cents. We stop there about twice a year...once for the Sturgis Rally, and then Christmas with family in Rapid City. Mitchell has Cabellas and several nice places to stay. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn there each time we go through.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png