Oxygen and Acetylene

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
I just picked up new tanks

I transported them laying down

I know that I have to leave them standing up and that is not an issue they will be standing up for days before I use them

But why do I need to let them stand?

SAFETY

The tanks need to stand so they won't become projectiles, if they roll away and the valve gets broken or sheared. They should be standing and strapped to something solid if not placed in a cart. The o2 is high pressure, the acetylene tank is filled with a foam/sponge like material. Laying the acetylene on its side, some of the foam my float into your valve clogging it, making fora hard time to get a consisant flame. I'm sure you can view some videos on you tube with tanks going through the roof, or though block walls...

I knew about not leaving them lay down due to the danger but I did not know about the foam.

So the foam needs time to settle

I used a Perco Acetylene/Air for gold and silver.....And for Platinum Acetylene/Oxygen...

One time i was adjusting the acetylene flame, When the whole gauge came off in my hand, 300 PSI in the tank at the time, The tank lit up dropped and spun around on my shop floor like a supercharged roulette wheel melting and burning everything the flame hit...I got the fire out with my fire extinguishers....But it took days of cleanup cause the acetylene left black soot and black cobwebs floor to ceiling ....

Moral before you light a torch make sure all the connections are tight and the tank is securely chained to something ....:blush:....

Acetylene will self-combust (explode) when subjected to sudden decompression especially into air. That is one of the reasons for the filler material inside the tank. The material slows the expansion to help limit the combustion rate. Apparently Acetylene will explode inside the tank under the right conditions! :xzqxz: Hence the filler.

Here's some info about the chemistry: https://www.rexarc.com/blog/importance-acetoning-dissolving-acetylene-acetone/

Interesting ... I was always told you needed to let them stand for awhile because it allowed liquid to settle and allow just get gas out of the regulator. Learn something new every day.

I knew about not leaving them lay down due to the danger but I did not know about the foam.

So the foam needs time to settle

I've never had to wait but I don't gas weld much anymore. One thing about Acetylene, it becomes unstable over 15 psi if it isn't in a stabilizing compound like the foam. That's how you go carbide fishing.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png