Ezi Steer rake and trail

Oct 13, 2013
Portsmouth. Uk
Can any one tell me what the trail is on a gl1500 trike with a Ezi steer 4 degree rake kit

And is the 4 degrees taken from
the original top yoke to calculate the trail or the lower one

The standard setup for a bike is 30 degree rake with a 111mm trail

I'm not sure I understand your question but, I would say the bottom tree. If you start moving the top tree much you'll usually start having clearance problems. Some bikes experience clearance issues anyway.

Hope it helps. You could ... fairly easily I think ... pull some lines and measure trail on a level floor. Pull a string along steering stem axis to floor on level surface, then drop or hang plumb bob against axle, measure on floor the difference.

TrailDrwg%20Color_zpstxq0jqar.jpg

The standard setup for a bike is 30 degree rake with a 111mm trail
Not sure that's exact on a stock GL1500, maybe … but I would say close anyway. The standard set up for a BIKE is not necessarily great for a TRIKE that does not steer by leaning a tire over.

On a trike, some trail is good for straight line tracking stability, but excess trail will increase steering effort fast. You will not feel that increase with a bike so much, as they steer by leaning. The front is more like a caster wheel of a shopping cart with handle bars, and to steer, one leans the bike over by kicking the tire out at bottom with the first counter steer move …. on a trike you steer in the direction of turn and momentum (inertia) fights you, which is why reducing trail reduces effort.

Below are some pics of a stock (Black) OEM GL1500 tree set and Champion 6 degree EZSteer (Aluminum color), you can see difference is in lower tree. Pics from Sep 2004.

IM001887%20428x320_zpsqgqs9kxe.jpg

IM001885%20259x400_zpsp6pegr9v.jpg

IM001884%20428x161_zpscwivwvrk.jpg

Hope it helps. You could ... fairly easily I think ... pull some lines and measure trail on a level floor. Pull a string along steering stem axis to floor on level surface, then drop or hang plumb bob against axle, measure on floor the difference.

TrailDrwg%20Color_zpstxq0jqar.jpg

Not sure that's exact on a stock GL1500, maybe … but I would say close anyway. The standard set up for a BIKE is not necessarily great for a TRIKE that does not steer by leaning a tire over.

On a trike, some trail is good for straight line tracking stability, but excess trail will increase steering effort fast. You will not feel that increase with a bike so much, as they steer by leaning. The front is more like a caster wheel of a shopping cart with handle bars, and to steer, one leans the bike over by kicking the tire out at bottom with the first counter steer move …. on a trike you steer in the direction of turn and momentum (inertia) fights you, which is why reducing trail reduces effort.

Below are some pics of a stock (Black) OEM GL1500 tree set and Champion 6 degree EZSteer (Aluminum color), you can see difference is in lower tree. Pics from Sep 2004.

IM001887%20428x320_zpsqgqs9kxe.jpg

IM001885%20259x400_zpsp6pegr9v.jpg

IM001884%20428x161_zpscwivwvrk.jpg

Hi Thanks for your time in posting this information. I know all about rake and trail setup. but the photo are spot on they show me the difference in the trees. so I can work from that. thanks again

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png