Likes Likes:  4
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Need serious protection for rear fenders on my 1800HTS . . .

10+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Default Need serious protection for rear fenders on my 1800HTS . . .

I ride 600+ miles per week on I-95 between Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC. The front sides of my rear fenders look like a teenager with acne ! ! ! I need suggestions for "SERIOUS" protection for these areas exposed to road crud!

I've been thinking about Line X, Rhino Liner or similar materials, but I doubt seriously that they can match the metallic blue paint on my HTS, or that this kind of material is available in clear.

Seeking suggestions . . .

Wind Therapy

Dave Calahan

Fredericksburg, VA

2. Roadsmith banner
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

I have clear bra on my Tri ... but lots of folks are doing the linex ... they can match lots of paint ... at least close.
    Moses had Stage Fright, David Brought a Rock to a Sword Fight, You Picked Twelve Outsiders Nobody Would of Chosen and You Changed the World. The Moral of the Story Is: So when I Hear that devil Start Talking to Me Saying, “Who Do You Think You Are?” “I’m Just a Nobody, Trying to Tell Everybody, About Somebody that Saved My Soul.” Casting Crowns

10+ Posts
    User ID

Default Roadsmith fender bras

I did a search on eBay for “Roadsmith fender bras” and found what you may want to look at. Price was $160 plus shipping.

Moonshine Mike
    Gold Club Member

User ID

"Bras for trikes", They have them for the HTS. Bought them about three years ago nice fit.

User ID

I made my own using some really tough adhesive backed pebble grain vinyl intended for steps, like on trailers, etc. I had planned on going with Line-X at some point, but these that I made are doing the job still. No sanding paint off, etc. Doubt I'll do the Line-X now on trike now. I found stuff on Ebay, easy to cut and apply, used wallpaper roller too. Made patterns, gently used heat gun when rolling over curves too.

Pics & details in link below.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threa...TL-Fender-Bras

At one point, for a few years and good many miles, I used really dark static cling window tint, never had a rock hurt that either, but this textured vinyl is tougher. I also did the lid of our Cycle Mate trailer years earlier, still there.

User ID

I've had Expel installed on both my'97 and '17 wings with Roadsmith kits. The '97 kept curling up at the bottom and all the dealer would do is trim off a piece. The '17 doesn't have as much of a curve on the bottom and is straighter. Went to a different dealer this time and so far so good. I've seen some pictures on this site where people have had Rhino-liner or similar products applied and they look awesome. Looks like they were able to match the paint pretty close.

Even if it's black it would probably look good on your bike and that stuff is indestructible. If it'll hold up to the stuff guys put in their truck beds it should be able to take some road debris without a problem.

2000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Have your fenders repainted then:

https://www.google.com/search?q=self...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Christian Motorcyclist Association #64488
    Patriot Guard
    Volunteer Fire/Rescue/EMT/Captain
    Was a LEO
    Part time Corrections Officer

1000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Contact Al at SeeThroughBraz and he'll fix you up with a very high quality product. Have had their protective film on my bikes for over 6 years now with no problems. Some of the film turns milky or yellow with age. Not their film. GREAT stuff.

Click here:
    "Anybody can become an American but ya have to be born a TEXAN"

"Ya know I haven't been everywhere but it's on my bucket list"

10. Roadsmith banner
    User ID

I mentioned a 5% dark window tint, it's static cling, and if not being fitted around lights, etc, can be easily removed and repositioned if need be. I used it far a few years, never an issue with it coming loose unless you wanted it removed. I applied using a few drops baby shampoo in water in squirt bottle and as soft plastic squeegee.. Wet fender and film, put in place, squeegee from center out, then wipe dry. I used to wax it too. I thought this picture was good in that it shows how color shows through. I was looking at going back to it, but the stick on vinyl is fast stuck on, so I'll leave it be. In this picture you can see I accidently cut it too short, best to cut lower edge with razor after apply. I decided on width and length and where the lights were, I just should have left a quarter inch more at bottom and trimmed that after dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road" too!

1+ Posts
    User ID

Default Fender Protection

I agree with Crystal Pistol. I used a static also for auto windows at 95% bc my wing is black. They've been on for 2 years and I'll occasionally see a mark on the vinyl but not on the paint. Fairly easy to apply and take off. Also the cost for a roll is less expensive than most products.