Likes Likes:  5
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a 2003 Suzuki Volusia Lehman Romani

5+ Posts
    User ID

Default New guy with a 2003 Suzuki Volusia Lehman Romani

Hello-

I recently acquired a 2003 Suzuki Volusia with a Lehman Romani trike conversion. I emailed Champion and they have no info/manuals for the early Suzuki conversions, information I also learned from this website afterwards. I have the Suzuki Volusia service manual, but nothing on the maintenance or specs of the trike conversion. I'd really like to have that information as the trike has very few miles (9k) given its age. I'd like to ensure it's in good health before I go gallivanting around America or decide to sell it. I know my way around a motorcycle but I like to have specs and stuff when doing work. U-joints probably require grease and I will check the shaft, and swingarm bearings, but I assume the drums are probably not self adjusting. It looks like an older Ford car rear end but I'd like to know the make/model of the brakes, before I just assume Ford as well. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.
    2014 Tri Glide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2006 Gold Wing Comfort Navi Abs - Jessica, 2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

5+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.
    Thanks. My mother's side is from your area. Delta/Collbran/Crawford areas.

46500+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Bob..........Welcome to Trike -Talk..................
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2018...SLINGSHOT...........

User ID

Hey Bob, to Trike Talk
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 32years)
    Current ride : 17 FREEWHEELER M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs Outlaw air cleaner, modified by me head breather vent with drain, Gutted stock mufflers, (RJS Originals) rear wheel discs , (RJS Originals) custom windshield lower panel, Mighty Mites Love Jugs fans by Papa Zook

Lehman / Champion Guru
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
    Hello-

I recently acquired a 2003 Suzuki Volusia with a Lehman Romani trike conversion. I emailed Champion and they have no info/manuals for the early Suzuki conversions, information I also learned from this website afterwards. I have the Suzuki Volusia service manual, but nothing on the maintenance or specs of the trike conversion. I'd really like to have that information as the trike has very few miles (9k) given its age. I'd like to ensure it's in good health before I go gallivanting around America or decide to sell it. I know my way around a motorcycle but I like to have specs and stuff when doing work. U-joints probably require grease and I will check the shaft, and swingarm bearings, but I assume the drums are probably not self adjusting. It looks like an older Ford car rear end but I'd like to know the make/model of the brakes, before I just assume Ford as well. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Bob, welcome to Trike talk from West Virginia.

The Suzuki Volusia Romani (Gypsy) and the later Boulevard C50 Tramp are very efficient trikes requiring less maintenance but a watchful eye. The only thing to keep an eye on is differential leaks. If yours has one or develops one, don't ignore it, get it fixed.

Grease the u-joint and beneath the swingarm there is also a zerk fitting for the suspension.

20 psi in the rear tires (hot) and 36 psi in the front (hot) .
    Jim Murphy
    Lehman Tech since 1998
    Champion Tech since 2005
    Lehman & Champion Dealer Owner Operator
    Iron Butt Rider 2001

WHEN HELP IS OFFERED, A SIMPLE "THANK YOU" IS APPRECIATED.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
    Hello-

I recently acquired a 2003 Suzuki Volusia with a Lehman Romani trike conversion ... etc … but I assume the drums are probably not self adjusting. It looks like an older Ford car rear end but I'd like to know the make/model of the brakes, before I just assume Ford as well. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated ... etc …
    If it's a Ford rear with drum brakes, likely Ford 6.75" ring gear rear with 9" diameter Ford drum brakes as used late '70s in Pintos, etc. I think mid 2000's they moved to some other rear.

My Lehman was built 1998, it for sure has the 6.75 Ford rear and 9" drums … the axles were shortened as were the axle tubes, and while everything I found on subject said no adjusters, mine does have adjusters still, but it takes a fast / hard rearward application of brakes to work them. Better to adjust manually every so often like Spring time. Bikes or trikes just don't get backed up fast enough or often enough to count on self adjusters that only adjust a click or two at a time if at all. I know that they used the same rear for a long time, with a move away as Champion parts started being used.

Those 9" drum brakes are very robust, they will last a long-long time.

https://mjtrikes.com/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=234

5+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Lee H. Mann View Post
    Bob, welcome to Trike talk from West Virginia.

The Suzuki Volusia Romani (Gypsy) and the later Boulevard C50 Tramp are very efficient trikes requiring less maintenance but a watchful eye. The only thing to keep an eye on is differential leaks. If yours has one or develops one, don't ignore it, get it fixed.

Grease the u-joint and beneath the swingarm there is also a zerk fitting for the suspension.

20 psi in the rear tires (hot) and 36 psi in the front (hot) .
    Thank you. So the Romani is identical to the Gypsy? I do have differential oil on the outside cover, but nothing dripping that I would classify as a leak. Thank you for the pressures.

5+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
    If it's a Ford rear with drum brakes, likely Ford 6.75" ring gear rear with 9" diameter Ford drum brakes as used late '70s in Pintos, etc. I think mid 2000's they moved to some other rear.

My Lehman was built 1998, it for sure has the 6.75 Ford rear and 9" drums the axles were shortened as were the axle tubes, and while everything I found on subject said no adjusters, mine does have adjusters still, but it takes a fast / hard rearward application of brakes to work them. Better to adjust manually every so often like Spring time. Bikes or trikes just don't get backed up fast enough or often enough to count on self adjusters that only adjust a click or two at a time if at all. I know that they used the same rear for a long time, with a move away as Champion parts started being used.

Those 9" drum brakes are very robust, they will last a long-long time.

https://mjtrikes.com/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=234
    Thank you. I'm attaching a picture of my rear end for reference.

Name:  0429192021b-800x450.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  117.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast