Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Rubbing noise

  1. #1
    650+ Posts jjvw's Avatar
    User ID
    16689
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Jenison, MI
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    130

    Default Rubbing noise

    I have a champion kit on my roadstar. We have 50k on the kit. On a ride yesterday, we noticed a rubbing sound as we did a left side u turn. I haven't tried a right side u turn yet. I check tire clearance and lug nuts. It sounds like rear drive train noise to me. Belt tension is ok. I had the body off, last summer for a check up and everything was tight and in spec. Any ideas besides not doing u turns?

    Jan & John

  2. #2
    14000+ Posts FuzzyWuzHe's Avatar
    User ID
    18134
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Grand Junction, Co. USA
    Posts
    14,494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    I hate stuff like this ... could ne lots of stuff. I'd put the trike rear wheels off the ground and check for wheel bearing play, get the trike in neutral and spin the power train from the wheels.

    I'm guessing it doesn't do it when going straight? When it's up "wiggle" and "turn" everything you can and look for play and listen for noise.

  3. #3
    650+ Posts jjvw's Avatar
    User ID
    16689
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Jenison, MI
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    I hate stuff like this ... could ne lots of stuff. I'd put the trike rear wheels off the ground and check for wheel bearing play, get the trike in neutral and spin the power train from the wheels.

    I'm guessing it doesn't do it when going straight? When it's up "wiggle" and "turn" everything you can and look for play and listen for noise.
    Thanks. I will do that, when I get thru rebuilding the TBI in our motorhome. Gramma wants to camp on the beach next week.

  4. #4
    14000+ Posts FuzzyWuzHe's Avatar
    User ID
    18134
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Grand Junction, Co. USA
    Posts
    14,494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
    Thanks. I will do that, when I get thru rebuilding the TBI in our motorhome. Gramma wants to camp on the beach next week.
    If Gramma ain't happy, nobody's happy ...

  5. #5
    3500+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    Marc H's Avatar
    User ID
    6801
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Evensville,Tn.
    Posts
    3,639
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    240

    Default

    Ditto on keeping Gramma happy.Check the swingarm for looseness.
    Do not argue with an idiot.He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    Its dog eat dog world and i'm wearing milkbone underwear.
    1989 GL1500 Goldwing (SOLD)
    2006 GL1800 CSC

  6. #6
    Cut N Shoot Customs
    Conroe Texas
    Ph: (346) 800-7946
    TrikeTalk Founder
    TrikeTalk Administrator
    Papa Zook's Avatar
    User ID
    1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Conroe, Texas
    Posts
    10,998
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    FT Author
    2 Threads
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    John, check your shocks. Might be a tire rubbing when under a load. Where is your shock preload set at? You can rotate it a notch or three on both sides to increase preload and that may cure the issue, or if they are the original shocks, it's probably time to replace them.

  7. #7
    1+ Posts
    User ID
    30792
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Wellington,New Zealand
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Rubbing noise

    Quote Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
    I have a champion kit on my roadstar. We have 50k on the kit. On a ride yesterday, we noticed a rubbing sound as we did a left side u turn. I haven't tried a right side u turn yet. I check tire clearance and lug nuts. It sounds like rear drive train noise to me. Belt tension is ok. I had the body off, last summer for a check up and everything was tight and in spec. Any ideas besides not doing u turns?

    Jan & John
    I have the same issue what was the fix for you

    thanks

  8. #8
    5+ Posts
    User ID
    33126
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    tucson az usa
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
    I have a champion kit on my roadstar. We have 50k on the kit. On a ride yesterday, we noticed a rubbing sound as we did a left side u turn. I haven't tried a right side u turn yet. I check tire clearance and lug nuts. It sounds like rear drive train noise to me. Belt tension is ok. I had the body off, last summer for a check up and everything was tight and in spec. Any ideas besides not doing u turns?

    Jan & John
    Is that Independent Suspension?

  9. #9
    5+ Posts
    User ID
    33126
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    tucson az usa
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default oops

    Didn't notice this is an Old Post""""

    But I do have New Shocks I would like to sell....For Ind. Suspension.

Similar Threads

  1. Loud rubbing noise when turning or going slow
    By Motogordo in forum Lehman Trikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-30-2019, 06:16 AM
  2. Victory Trike Owners- Are you having issues with seat rubbing Tank?
    By SEE THROUGH BRAZ in forum Victory Trikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  3. Belt drive rubbing battery box.
    By mcdonaldroadcapt in forum Brand Specific Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •