Likes Likes:  1
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Springer Front End

User ID

Default Springer Front End

Getting ready to assemble my springer after painting. Looking for the proper torques and procedure to rebuild. Should I use red locktite along with Torquing? Any help would be appreciated.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

If you can't find application specific values, try searching with google or bing for generic torque values like this chart:

https://www.portlandbolt.com/technic...-torque-chart/
    2014 Tri Glide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2006 Gold Wing Comfort Navi Abs - Jessica, 2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

User ID

Default Rockers

I have a good torque chart for the regular bolts. I am more worried about how tight to set the rocker bolts. So that there is enough tension to allow the rockers to pivot. Also how tight should the springs top nut be. Locktite at a certain torque or bottom the acorn nuts out letting the spring pack act as a lock washer? Thanks for any info or opinion.

User ID

Newfie

On the rocker bolts, be sure to use self locking nuts, IE, Nylocks. and on the torque if using self locking nuts add the running torque to the amount of torque value you use.
    Ray
    2017 Harley Triglide
    Tijuana Border

400+ Posts
    User ID

On the Chopper handbook site, well setting the rocker torque for a lock nut and a acorn nut is 150ft lbs.

The rocker is suppose to have just enough play in it so it rotates freely on it's own. No tire on it and pull rocker up and watch it fall downward. Should be a slow easy movement. They make spacers for shoulder bolts for this reason among others.

The rocker movement is not set by how much torque you apply, it is a calculated free movement using spacers, the torque settings are to hold the nuts on the bolt at a set position. It is how I understood it all.

Hope you the best with this.

50+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Tighten the rocker bolts to allow movement without any binding/sticking, nylon or brass washers between moving parts (no paint). Loctight (blue) or cotter pin. (my older set had cotter pins) A lil siff is ok, a lil loose is not good. The bumps will make it work, check again after a few miles.

Top cap nuts on top of springs can be tightened all the down with a lil loctight. My old set had a regular nut then cap nut to lock, (double nut). My new set has cap nuts only.

my 2 cents, hope it helps

User ID

Default Springer Front End

Thanks for the info. Got it back together everything went smooth. LOL. Here is a Couple of Photos of the front and the rim. Rim needs a bit more TLC. Got to disassemble it again. Messed up and gave it few scratches. So it is good training on how to lace and true a painted wheel and spokes. Had got it to a 1 mil (+/-) runout both ways.

IMG_0676.jpgIMG_0678.jpgIMG_0681.jpgIMG_0749.jpg

Sorry for the sideways photos. They turned when I uploaded. Got to figure out how to correct that. LOL.