Newbie and a question

Jun 12, 2019
Macon, Ga
Hello all. Newbie to trikes and need some opinions......and I’m sure they’re scarce....;);)

Im looking at an 06 Heritage Softtail for my wife. It’s had a Motor Trike kit installed, but no rake kit. When I test rode it, I said HE!! NO! I’m not buying this for you. It rode like the old Honda Big Red 3-wheelers, and I didn’t think she’d enjoy it at all—we ride 700-1500 miles fairly regularly on trips through the year. Then, a friend let us ride his Tri-Glide which is raked. It was like night and day.

My question is this.... Will raking the Heritage give a great long distance ride, or was it the bigger and heavier bike that made the difference? I don’t want to buy the trike, rake it, and then it still isn’t comfortable on longer rides. Other than handling, the Motor Trike air suspension felt good.

Also, we don’t ride a lot on interstates, but like everyone else, we do have to use them sometimes. Will it handle good at 70-80 mph?

Thanks, Bulldog

Hi Randy! Welcome to TrikeTalk!

Can’t answer for the Softail but I do know the rake kit GREATLY improved the steering and handling comfort on both the Honda GL1800 trikes I have owned.

:welcome: To the Trike Talk Family! FROM SOUTH
attachment.php
Angleton, TX

Howdy Randy and your Lady!:wave4:

Randy yes a rake kit will make a big difference in the handling. Maybe even better then the TRI you rode. If you go down that road check in with PAPA ZOOK owner of this forum. He sells a top line rake kit for a very reasonable price. You can also call him at his shop CUT-N-SHOOT CUSTOMS see ad on the home forum page.

And yes it should go down the road nicely at highway speeds with the rake. Good luck. and welcome aboard

Question answered

Well.......it looks like my questions have been answered. There is one more thing that will make a trike handle like a BIG RED. Anyone care to guess what that 1 thing is? Think about it, those “dirt and swamp” rigs had one good thing going for them, that will wreak havoc on any street machine. Give up??????

LOW AIR PRESSURE IN THE TIRES!!!

We went ahead and bought the trike tonight, and trailered it home. I wanted to ride it around the block when we got here......I live in the country, so that was about a 15 mile ride. Before I left I checked the air pressures, and out of 3 tires, NONE registered on the gauge. I pumped the front to 40 psi, and the rears to 28, and VOILA!!! My “power steering” was there all the time!! 80 mph and no wobble or shimmy, slow speed turns are great. We cannot believe the difference!

Also, since this is my...HER...first trike, I’m not sure that it hasn’t already been raked. Seriously, it handles as well as my buddy’s TriGlide. We’re very satisfied with it now. I did find one of the rear air bags has a hole in it, and will need replacing, and all three tires must have been put on it when it was originally triked in 07. The date codes are 05 on the front Harley Davidson Dunlop, and 07 on the rears. It’s a 2006 with 6800 miles on the clock.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me, and to those who shared their opinions.

My wife LOVES HER “NEW”TRIKE!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png