Strobe brake controller 2007 Tri Glide

Jun 6, 2019
Washington
We bought a 2007 Harley Ultra Classic Touring with a Lehman Renegade Trike Kit (Tri Glide right) anyway, we are having issues finding a strobe controller that will handle the wattage of four incandescent 1157 bulbs. the 1157 incandescent bulbs are rated at 27 watts. Times that by four because of our touring kit equals 108 watts. The controllers I've seen can only handle 80 watts. So what is one to do? Very important NOTE, is the year of our bike 2007, number of 1157 bulbs (4) and the total wattage brake light strobe controllers can handle (80 watts). Please help!

Thanking this group in advance,

Mike R

The West Coast Washington

We bought a 2007 Harley Ultra Classic Touring with a Lehman Renegade Trike Kit (Tri Glide right) anyway, we are having issues finding a strobe controller that will handle the wattage of four incandescent 1157 bulbs. the 1157 incandescent bulbs are rated at 27 watts. Times that by four because of our touring kit equals 108 watts. The controllers I've seen can only handle 80 watts. So what is one to do? Very important NOTE, is the year of our bike 2007, number of 1157 bulbs (4) and the total wattage brake light strobe controllers can handle (80 watts). Please help!

Thanking this group in advance,

Mike R

The West Coast Washington

Why can't you use LED replacements for the 1157 bulb ??

1157-led-bulb-dual-function-19-led-forward-firing-cluster-bay15d-retrofit012.jpg

Mike, when choosing bulbs have a read here

[h=2]Which Color LEDs Should I Use?[/h] For best results, the LED color should be the same as the lens color. If the bulb is behind a clear lens, use the appropriate color for turn and brake light functions.

When installed in a housing that has a matching colored lens, red and amber bulbs will appear brighter than white LED bulbs—even though they have lower lumen outputs.

As an example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of light from a bulb, so if the light being emitted from the bulb is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a white LED bulb contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum, so most of the light that contributes to its higher lumen value would be filtered out by a red lens. This makes the white bulb appear dimmer than the red bulb.

Mike, when choosing bulbs have a read here

Which Color LEDs Should I Use?

For best results, the LED color should be the same as the lens color. If the bulb is behind a clear lens, use the appropriate color for turn and brake light functions.

When installed in a housing that has a matching colored lens, red and amber bulbs will appear brighter than white LED bulbs—even though they have lower lumen outputs.

As an example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of light from a bulb, so if the light being emitted from the bulb is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a white LED bulb contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum, so most of the light that contributes to its higher lumen value would be filtered out by a red lens. This makes the white bulb appear dimmer than the red bulb.

Thank you for the information, I am now planning on using ZEVO 1157 bulbs. Do I have to use a resistor with them? And are you saying you "Do Not" use s strobe controller on your bike?

Mike R

Thank you for the information, I am now planning on using ZEVO 1157 bulbs. Do I have to use a resistor with them? And are you saying you "Do Not" use s strobe controller on your bike?

Mike R

I do NOT use a strobe on mine

The brake lights use less current also , a resistor or load equalizer will be needed

Available at most auto parts stores

Why can't you use LED replacements for the 1157 bulb ??

View attachment 72732

Lee, do you have a brand and part number for the bulb shown in your reply?

Thanks for your help,

Mike R

Lee,

I forgot to ask, will I need a resistor to use this bulb? If so can you recommend a source for it. You need to know your talking to a beginner with this task.

Thank you.

Mike R

This part is available at most auto parts stores. I used them in several bikes over the years. Replaces the standard 1157 bulb, no other mods needed, just plug and play.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png