Cruise control plus alarm light

Sep 19, 2013
Otis OR
Took off on the bike today. 2014 tri-glide. Once I got on the highway, hit the cruise control button, yellow light pops on the screen showing its ready, put it in cruise and nothing. Did it several times. Nothing. But then tried one more time and the alarm red light came on. It stayed on for about several miles then went off. Tried cruise again and it worked this time. I thought okay all good. Turned the cruise off as I coming into traffic. Got back to highway speed, the alarm red light came on again. This time it stayed on longer. Again I tried the cruise again and nothing other than a yellow light showing it is ready. So I made it home as I wasn't going to shut the bike off until I got it into my garage. Parked it and it restarted just fine. When engine is off and forks are locked, the red alarm light comes as normal then goes into blinking mode as the alarm is set. Scratching my head on this one. First time I have had this problem. Anyone else? Or any thoughts of where to look?

No ideas but I do have a couple suggestions:

Have you checked to see of any DTC (diagnostic trouble code) are present? Also pretty sure there will be a troubleshooting procedure in the Electrical Service Manual. If you don't have one your dealer might let you read and maybe even photocopy his.

Might have found it. B2223. Rear brake light switch shorting out. It would make since that the cruise wasn't working because the brake was on. Was going through the diagnostics on the bike and out of the corner of my eye I saw the brakes lights were on. When I found what the code meant I disconnected the wires from the brake light switch, tested the circuit yep, bad switch. I plugged the wires back in and the brakes lights are working. Going for a ride to see if that helped the cruise problem. Maybe it wont short out long enough to see that's the problem. Got a new brake light switch on order now.

Just do that quick cruise control diagnostic test. You don't need luck, it test everything.

Isn't it amazing, after you took the time to post the self diagnostic tip this should be a no brainer? Taking the guess work out makes repairs faster and easier unless I am missing something;)

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png