Trailering a Tri Glide

Oct 4, 2015
NUNYA
What is the best way to tie down a Tri Glide on a trailer. I've tried several different methods and I don't like anything I've been able to come up with.

Trail Rider

We haul our trike from Michigan to Maggie Valley and to Texas, every year. We use a trap style chock from HF. works as good as the expensive ones. https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

61670_W3.jpg
We bolt it in the wood floor with Tee nuts under the floor and eye bolts, working as bolts with a handle. No tools involved. 2 hooked straps to the trailer hitch, keep the rear from sliding around.

What is the best way to tie down a Tri Glide on a trailer. I've tried several different methods and I don't like anything I've been able to come up with.

Trail Rider

Under each rear shocks there is a tie down loop.....Thats where i Strapped mine..

With the front i ran a strap though the wheel....Careful not to hit the rotor...and a towel between the strap and wheel so as not to scratch/mar it...

X2 how rhino does it. I have a cheap chock from I-can't-remember-where. I use two short ratchet straps to the tie down hooks under the back and then one through the front rim (with mircofiber in between).

Probably hauled my 2016 and my current TG through 25 or more states the past 2 years with zero issues.

+2 on the tie downs ... I put the front wheel in my python, wrap a short ratcheting strap arround the front wheel and python. Then I run a strap from each tie down to the sides about where the tranny starts piulling it forward and centering ... Works like a charm.

I avoid the cheaper HF straps, they sell some that are rated at like 1200# and are like 2" wide.

Tie downs

I just trailered min from Delaware to Pennsylvania. I used two of these, or something similar,

https://www.amazon.com/Seamander-Securing-Motorcycles-Scooters-Equipment

one on each handlebar making sure the attached ratchet strap did not touch the bike in any place, and also the two loops underneath by each tire as that’s what they’re for. At least that’s what my boys tell me.

Made for a 4 point tie down.

Set the parking brake and left it in gear. Didn’t move an inch.

Straps on Front wheel

X2 how rhino does it. I have a cheap chock from I-can't-remember-where. I use two short ratchet straps to the tie down hooks under the back and then one through the front rim (with mircofiber in between).

Probably hauled my 2016 and my current TG through 25 or more states the past 2 years with zero issues.

I bought some 3 in wide rubber blocks that have openings to pass the strap through and make sure the rubber block is on the front rim to remove the possiblity of the strap chaffing and thereby breaking. I use 2 in straps that are rated at 3,500 lbs. I towed my old Sportster with a Lehman coversion that way with the front wheel off the ground.

The new(er) Tri Glide is too low in the back end for me to haul it that way, so I guess a trailer is necessary! I will however be using the same rubber blocks for the front wheel and I like the HF trap wheel chock.

I noticed two loops, that look like links of a chain, under the trike when I was swapping out the mufflers and I assume those are the 'tow strap down rings.'

I bought some 3 in wide rubber blocks that have openings to pass the strap through and make sure the rubber block is on the front rim to remove the possiblity of the strap chaffing and thereby breaking. I use 2 in straps that are rated at 3,500 lbs. I towed my old Sportster with a Lehman coversion that way with the front wheel off the ground.

The new(er) Tri Glide is too low in the back end for me to haul it that way, so I guess a trailer is necessary! I will however be using the same rubber blocks for the front wheel and I like the HF trap wheel chock.

I noticed two loops, that look like links of a chain, under the trike when I was swapping out the mufflers and I assume those are the 'tow strap down rings.'

Yes they are............

Travel Mode?

2014 and newer .........With your FOB in range, turn the ignition switch to IGNITION.

Before the security light gos out turn the ignition switch to OFF...

Within 3 seconds press both turn signals at the same time...

The turn signals will flash once, And the system enters transport mode...

Remove the FOB now your Trike can be moved without trigging the alarm/4 way flashers so as not to run down the battery when you are trailing...

To exit transport mode...have the FOB in range and turn the ignition switch on,,,And that will disable transport mode....

2014 and newer .........With your FOB in range, turn the ignition switch to IGNITION.

Before the security light gos out turn the ignition switch to OFF...

Within 3 seconds press both turn signals at the same time...

The turn signals will flash once, And the system enters transport mode...

Remove the FOB now your Trike can be moved without trigging the alarm/4 way flashers so as not to run down the battery when you are trailing...

To exit transport mode...have the FOB in range and turn the ignition switch on,,,And that will disable transport mode....

I am thinking my 2014 the turn signals flash three times when it enters transport mode.

2014 models and newer:

1. With an assigned fob within range, turn the ignition switch to IGNITION.
  2. Before the security system lamp goes out, turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  3. Within three seconds, simultaneously press both the left and the right turn signal switches.
  4. The turn signals will flash once, and the system enters transport mode.
  5. Remove the fob- your motorcycle can now be moved without triggering the alarm.

To exit transport mode, make sure your assigned fob is within range, and turn your bike’s ignition switch back to IGNITION. Now you're ready to ride.

When following the procedure, they will flash once immediately when you hit both turn signals, then 3 times a second later.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kizmet

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kizmet
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png