Catalytic Converter question

Apr 3, 2016
columbia, ct usa
I'm debating swapping my stock exhaust on my 2015 totally stock Tri Glide, for a de-catted head pipe. I don't intend to do anything else, i.e., tuner, new mufflers etc. I'm just looking to reduce heat. Can I expect to get a lot of deceleration popping? and if so, how to I eliminate it.

Thanks

I'm debating swapping my stock exhaust on my 2015 totally stock Tri Glide, for a de-catted head pipe. I don't intend to do anything else, i.e., tuner, new mufflers etc. I'm just looking to reduce heat. Can I expect to get a lot of deceleration popping? and if so, how to I eliminate it.

Thanks

The only thing you'll notice is less heat on your right ankle ....There shouldn't be any dec-popping...

Do yourself a favor, pull your plugs before the change, take a good look at them. Do the pipe change. Ride for at least a few hundred miles and check the plugs for a lean condition. TC motors are known to run lean from the factory. If your plugs become real white you might need to get a tuner.

Thanks

You should contact our sponsor, DK Custom Products, They have done countless hours of research on the heat problem & has several sound solutions to address it.

I'm sure Kevin will chime in. I never de-cated my 16 TG, only installed different slip-on mufflers. It created a little pop once and awhile and didn't run exactly perfect. I agree though, it should help reduce heat for driver/passenger comfort.

Reactions: MDO
I decatted the 3 triglides I have had. 11, 14 & now a 16. I shot the temps back when I first did it to see the before & after but to be honest I think it was a lil less in heat but when your talking the amount coming off the head pipe I couldn't see very much difference in feel. it was still hot. I did my 14 & 16 because of all the great differences some people felt, unfortunately for me I never have felt it.

The best thing I did for feel was on my 11 I wrapped the de-catted head pipe. I had numerous people tell me that, that is not a good thing to do though.

When I get another trike I will not be doing that, for me it's not worth it.

There is an old rule of thumb:

Stuff done before or in the engine (air cleaners, cams, injectors need to be adjusted for.

Stuff after the engine (exhaust) does not. The ecm can adjust for most of that.

I've debated lots of bikes since like 09 and never heard a deceleration pop ... you'll be fine ... you may notice a tad deeper throat and there will be less heat on the right foot.

Now, if you really want to "feel less heat" you need to richen up the air fuel mixture. It's a proven fact.

I swapped out the stock header on my 16 TG with a Cobra de-catted header two years ago and kept the stock mufflers. No adverse effects. No re-tune.

I put in an S&S head pipe (no cat) when I did the 1k service. Hard to say how much it reduced "felt" heat, cool weather at the time. Trike ran the same but it did sound a little louder/deeper. I think the cat has a pre-muffler effect. If that is all you change, you shouldn't need to do anything more. That said, there are more ways to cool it down, check out DK Customs. Also, Papa Zook for cooling fans.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png