Road Smith vs Canam RT Spyder

Recently I blew my front tire on the Spyder. The pot holes in my area are bad. I will say even after hitting the pothole at around 50 +MPH the bike handle well and steered until I was able to pull off to the side off the HWY.

Now service is like any service cars, bikes etc. There only as good as the guy who services the vehicle. Not all are the same and times are changing, guys like myself are getting older and planning on retirement in the future. I am seeing the younger generation come in and miss a lot of the things I would notice and fix.

Everything now is stick your face in a computer or cell phone and ignore everything else.

Well anyway love my Spyder and will hang onto it a bit longer. May try a Slingshot or similar someday and see how I like driving it.

I asked "both" of the Can Am rider's , and neither have anything negative to say......They both put quite a bit of (s)miles on the vehicles a year, Again he's blind and she drives it everywhere they go.....

The other couple, just follows and every Sunday, the rest of us meet and all go on an approx 150 miles[ish] (R/T) ride for a lunch....

Every Sunday is a different location, it always a surprise, none of us has any idea where we are going.. {the blind couple always leads} And always a wonderful location, with good food..

Ronnie

Fronm time to time I post a brief thought about my GW/Road Smith vs the Canam Spyder RT.....I contine to compare the two machines to get other comparison information. I chase the RTE Spyder because of my demo rides with the wife, and comparing the suspension. My GW is a 2005, the RS conversion is an early 2012 and tit has served me well. But suspension, in my mind does not compare to the cloudd like ride on the Sypder RT, so 'we' are getting older and prefer the Spyder suspension. The GW has many upsides for me as in, if it ain't don't broke don't fix it. A trike change will cost a bundle, in up front cost and in addition, making it my it my own, and there are 'other' downsides to the Spyder RT as well, so I always bump up to these walls in my mind. I pretty much know what to expect from GW/RS because I have ridden it so long, the the Spyder RT, I don't know from experience. Tough decision, just wonder if anyone might have some thoughts and this might be the forum for more information.

I have an 05 GW with a 16 RS HTS Kit., I have started to look at the Spyder LTD for the "FrunK" space to carry my medic bag on xcountry trips and all the other essentials 2 up as well.

The only things I see as needing to get used to is no shifting with a clutch and no hand brake. As for the lean into a turn that's the same excuse everyone who won't ride a trike has made for years (until they unfortunately crash). I find the power steering easy and responsive albeit it took some getting used too on the test drive.

Negatives: 1) No CB (I have figured the work around) 2) No direct interface with radio via bluetooth, BRP claims are bogus (My local dealer pointed this out) 3) Limited service centers 4) On older RT models having to lift seat to get to fuel filler (or find a dealer that would modify)

Positives: 1) Ride, is very very smooth, 2) Steering Far easier than any HD Triglide or even my GW with 6 degree rake. 3) Storage, there is a ton of it and the new 2020's have even more. 4) Fuel economy Even towing this get better fuel economy than any other trike out there.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png