Mac Users ... Beware

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Recently, my mac has had issues with Safari (kept telling me I wasn't connected to the internet, even when foxfire worked fine) and Mail (couldn't connect to the servers, aol, me, google, iCloud) ... real pain in the A$$.

I tried everything, including reinstalling the entire OS. Was getting ready to format the drive and then reload everything ... :AGGHH: ... took me years to get it how I like it :D

Today I remembered I have MacKeeper ... I had disabled it because it never found anything and I never had any issues ... not my sharpest plan, kind of like cancelling my Trike insurance because I never had an accident (no I didn't do that).

Thought what the hey ... give it a shot ... WOW ... It found 6 adware issues ... and fixed them ... my little 12" mac is now back to being lightning fast.

What's my point??? Apparently the bad guys have gotten a

Round Tuit.jpg

I had become complacent because in 25 years of using a Mac, never had an issue ... Mackeeper is back to guarding me with their VPN and doing daily scans.

Had that happen twice in the last 10 days..IE; Your not connected to the internet and freezes the computer.. .....Me, I couldn't figure it out, Gave a callto Apple support.....They walked me through it.....When i asked the Girl how does this happen...She said sometimes clicking in a pop-up add will trigger malware ...:Shrug:..

Yep....Mackkeeper....And she said to use it often...

I'm not sure if it's safe to use. See story in attachment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacKeeper

I think MacKeeper is malware itself. I never had any problems until I loaded it once thinking it might be another level of protection. Then I got other programs I never asked for, or didn't think I did, and odd things kept happening all the time. Then I saw this warning about MacKeeper one day. Got on the phone with Apple because I was having those odd issues and they had me install Malwarebytes. First time I used it after installing it, MacKeeper was one of the items it listed as possible threats to my Mac. I guess free stuff actually costs a lot. I now have the premium version of Malwarebytes because that's the only way to get real-time protection since I'd forget to do it manually and Apple did suggest that, since free stuff isn't really free, in the end.

I think MacKeeper is malware itself. I never had any problems until I loaded it once thinking it might be another level of protection. Then I got other programs I never asked for, or didn't think I did, and odd things kept happening all the time. Then I saw this warning about MacKeeper one day. Got on the phone with Apple because I was having those odd issues and they had me install Malwarebytes. First time I used it after installing it, MacKeeper was one of the items it listed as possible threats to my Mac. I guess free stuff actually costs a lot. I now have the premium version of Malwarebytes because that's the only way to get real-time protection since I'd forget to do it manually and Apple did suggest that, since free stuff isn't really free, in the end.

I think you may be right ... although my computer was running quicker and more like it's supposed to ... I had an issue this morning trying to update the software on my phones. iTunes was having issues ... hmmm ... I tried the Malwarebytes and it found 26 malware issues and one of them was MacKeeper ... after letting it fix the issues ... iTunes was able to do the updates and the computer is even faster than it was before ... thanks for the info.

I think you may be right ... although my computer was running quicker and more like it's supposed to ... I had an issue this morning trying to update the software on my phones. iTunes was having issues ... hmmm ... I tried the Malwarebytes and it found 26 malware issues and one of them was MacKeeper ... after letting it fix the issues ... iTunes was able to do the updates and the computer is even faster than it was before ... thanks for the info.

I have been using Malwarebytes for years. Only the lord knows how many virus and malware infections it has cleaned from the thousand of my former company's systems.

Just remember that Malwarebytes must be kept up to date for it to do its job. They seem to find new viruses all the time. So let it update to stay as up to date as possible. Sometimes its a pain but its better than the options.:):):)

Never ever install MacKeeper. Apple wil tell you that. Once you install it it is difficult to remove. It then has access to all you information. Check with Apple. Leave MacKeeper alone

Just remember that Malwarebytes must be kept up to date for it to do its job. They seem to find new viruses all the time. So let it update to stay as up to date as possible. Sometimes its a pain but its better than the options.:):):)

The version I used looks for updates hourly ... seems a bit much, but I didn't change the default.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png