syn3 or amsoil

Syn 3 is NOT a true full synthetic oil

According to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for H-D's SYN3, it is chemically a blend of 60% synthetic and 40% petroleum oils.

Lets face it, changing engine oil at 5,000 miles shouldn't require synthetic anyway. These engine run pretty hot so I don't mind changing it at 5,000, but is a true synthetic really doing you any good unless you run it for 10,000 miles or so?

I am not a mechanic, nor do I understand much about engines. I use Syn-3 in all three holes simply because Harley suggests it and it makes it easy for me to do the service myself. I have only owned 5 Harleys but it has always worked good for me and I have never had an engine issue.

It is like a lot of things, personal preference.

With my 17 Tri-Glide, Because of the oil migration issue they change the oil in the trans/ primary to formula one?.....And drain and refill it every 8 hundred miles on their dime, but wasting my time on my dime.....:mad:..

Conventional, (non synthetic), oils tend to form sludge and other harmful engine deposits under extreme heat much faster than full synthetic oils. As we all know, or should know, internal engine sludge is not good. Especially in a mostly air cooled engine.

If one only keeps his/her vehicles a few years and trades them in for new again, oil type probably doesn't matter. However it will become the next owners issue if not well maintained by the original owner.

For the conscientious owner, nothing short of full synthetics will do.

It all depends on which category you fall under...:Shrug:

I had the dealer install Syn3 at the 1,000 mile service because I was on the road.

I kept it in till the 3,800 mile mark & switched to Lucas full synthetic motorcycle oil and immediately saw 10-15 degree drop in oil temps & smoother shifting. I recently changed my transmission fluid to RedLine with Shockproof & the shifting improved & smoothed out so much, it felt like tranny work had been done. It's that good.

I have HD Formula+ in the primary, as I had 2 quarts to use up. I will then switch to Redline primary fluid.

I am currently using Quicksilver motorcycle oil (from Walmart) in the engine & when I return from my trip I will install Redline motorcycle engine oil, then alternate between that and the Lucas, as I have a lot of each & both are very good.

As far as filters, I have found Mobil 1, HD & K&N to all be quality oil filters.

The bottom line here is, almost any modern oil will work if changed at regular intervals, but some oils are definitely BETTER than others.

As far as verified proof, I had Blackstone Labs analyze the Lucas oil with a Mobil 1 filter after 2,300 miles on the oil & the report was very good for both after my FW was run in above 90 temps all summer.

Jack, this thread will have to tide
you over & feed your addiction till I start a new & improved oil/filter thread this winter.:D

I had the dealer install Syn3 at the 1,000 mile service because I was on the road.

I kept it in for about 3,800 miles & switched to Lucas full synthetic motorcycle oil and immediately saw 10-15 degree drop in oil temps & smoother shifting. I recently changed my transmission fluid to RedLine with Shockproof & the shifting improved & smoothed out so much, it felt like tranny work had been done. It's that good.

I have HD Formula+ in the primary, as I had 2 quarts to use up. I will then switch to Redline primary fluid.

I am currently using Quicksilver motorcycle oil (from Walmart) in the engine & when I return from my trip I will install Redline motorcycle engine oil, then alternate between that and the Lucas, as I have a lot of each & both are very good.

As far as filters, I have found Mobil 1, HD & K&N to all be quality oil filters.

The bottom line here is, almost any modern oil will work if changed at regular intervals, but some oils are definitely BETTER than others.

As far as verified proof, I had Blackstone Labs analyze the Lucas oil with a Mobil 1 filter after 2,300 miles on the oil & the report was very good for both after my FW was run in above 90 temps all summer.

Jack, this thread will have to tide
you over & feed your addiction till I start a new & improved oil/filter thread this winter.:D

I have been using only Lucas full syn for years,use straight 50 in both my 17 Tri Glide and my 02 Road King and never a engine issue. Besides i don't normally ride in temps under 40 plus my garage is heated.

Been using Mobil1 synthetic, just got back from Sturgis, there was an Amsoil dealer there that had a Harley idling in front of their booth all day. Only Amsoil and Love Jugs keeping it cool. Kind of amazing. Says something about both products...almost enough to make a guy switch oils.

I put the Love Jugs on just for this trip because I figured I'd be sitting in traffic at some point. They worked good, kept the oil temp down.

I wonder if that bike would stay running with anybody else's oil in there.

Been using Mobil1 synthetic, just got back from Sturgis, there was an Amsoil dealer there that had a Harley idling in front of their booth all day. Only Amsoil and Love Jugs keeping it cool. Kind of amazing. Says something about both products...almost enough to make a guy switch oils.

I put the Love Jugs on just for this trip because I figured I'd be sitting in traffic at some point. They worked good, kept the oil temp down.

I would guess - - probably.

I used Amsoil years ago in my 03 Ultra. At that time the advertised 10,000 mile changes with their oil & filter. I put over 100,000 miles on that bike on 10k changes. Never used any oil. I also put over 400,000 miles on a Chevy Duromax diesel pulling trailers all over the US to dealers.with Amsoil & a bypass system on 60k changes. Great stuff.

It would stay running with anyone's oil in it. It does not address what kind of damage it did.;)

This will show what goes on when things get hot.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/motorcycles/articles/motorcycle-survive-heat-this-extreme/

I have been using Amsoil since the early 70s when I was racing sports cars. My engine oil capacity was only 3 quarts. I installed an oil temp gauge, because I was over heating. After 10 laps I was holding my hand over it. It was so high, I didn't want to see it! I started using Amsoil and my oil temp went down 50º. Instead of changing rod bearings after every race, I stretched it to 3 races before I looked at them. I put them back in and finished the season on them. The next season, I never checked them until the end. Rebuilt it and saved the bearings for spares, they were that good. The oil lasted a whole season. I recycled the used oil in my ice racer, which with 120,000 miles, leaked a lot. It was the only one that would start in the cold without a jump.

I usually don't brag about Amsoil unless asked, but seeing someone started another dreaded oil thread.....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png