Tires

hello

I had the dunlops that come on the champion kit and was not satisfied at all. I put up with them as long as I could, they hydroplaned in a min. when it rain I could not relax and stade all tensed up just waiting for them to brake loss, talk to a tire dealer he recommended yokohama Ascends, I put a pair on they have deep, deep treads and the wear bar is way down there, there a 75000 mil. tire.. I have run in some hard rain with standing water on the road and they have never broke loss. I don't have many miles on them so the verdict is still out. I think I give $ 134 for both installed on the trike. so far so good

Goodrich t/a, any reason you went that wide
Don't know who it was asked of …. but it was I who mentioned the B F Goodrich Radial T/As. The Lemans SR 215/70R15 was a full inch narrower than the Dunlop GT Qualifier 245/60R15s that came on it and in the kit from Lehman. I even added 1/2" spacers and longer Morosso studs to get narrower tire back out near wheel opening. I saved 4 pounds per tire in rotational weight at outer tread diameter and same 4 pounds per tire …. 8 pounds total in unsprung weight. I've been shopping, I like the looks of the raised white letters on this trike. I really liked the symmetrical looking "LEMANS SR" lettering 180 degrees apart on them as well as the smooth sidewall rubber. I was just looking at Tire Rack, it would cost more, but I might go back to the fatter original size 245/60R15 and pull the spacers off and shorten the studs by 1/2". Would cost a little bit more, but good chance they would be the last ones I bought for the trike, and in BFG weights, only 2 pounds difference per tire (before, was difference in a Dunlop GT Qualifier and these Lemans SR tires, not the same manufacturer), virtually same OD too.

Maybe look at Cooper Cobra Radial GT with RWL? They have a new font too. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5CRGTRWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I can't find these Lemans SR tires now, wish I had bought 4 back when I got these. Either way or size, minor PITA to get mounted tire & wheel under the fender and on the studs.

I'm thinking of a pair of B F Goodrich Radial T/A (s) in 215/70-15 RWL. I like the looks and the times I've run them on cars, I was extremely happy. Good wear too.

I've known such people … until they tried it. ;)

:D

Indeed, B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's are great on perfectly dry pavement. It takes very little water at all on the road to bring painfully to bear the error in that line of choice.

Indeed, B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's are great on perfectly dry pavement. It takes very little water at all on the road to bring painfully to bear the error in that line of choice.
That surprises me a little. They never had a bad rep back in the old days, but I've read and heard others say they aren't so good now a days? Maybe they are changed in compound, etc? Did I read someplace that Coker owns BFG now? I will stay with the P215-70R15 size though. Looking just tonight as I bled & adjusted the brakes, these Leman SRs are down to 4/32nds.

That surprises me a little. They never had a bad rep back in the old days, but I've read and heard others say they aren't so good now a days? Maybe they are changed in compound, etc? Did I read someplace that Coker owns BFG now? I will stay with the P215-70R15 size though. Looking just tonight as I bled & adjusted the brakes, these Leman SRs are down to 4/32nds.

ITs NOT the tire, its the weight on that tire.. and the fact that most kits used to come with fat wide tires. With the small amount of downward weight they are just asking fr hydroplaning.

Ancedode, about 5 years ago i was riding with my wife and trailer, with my buddy his wife and trailer. Identical Mt straight axle trikes.

Driving along the freeway from Greenville wing ding, traffic just dead stopped in the middle of the road. I got on the CB (he was behind me) hollering STOP STOP STOP, i managed to pump brakes and get to a stop Just behind a car. All i could see out the corner of my eye in the mirror was him shooting by skidding left to right (hydroplaning) right into the back of a pickup truck. CRASH, bike gone, his wife in hospital with broken hip.

The only difference between bikes was that I had changed out my tires with the old Michelin Hydroedge, AND dropped from 235/70 to 205/70's narrower tires.

I do not regret it...

Ps the next year I saw that most manuf. had quietly started narrowing their tires. When I asked a rep about it, all he would say was for better wet handling.. I knew what he meant

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png