Backrest for 2005 HD 1200CC Touring Trike

I am in the process of narrowing down my selection to purchase a trike. One of the trikes that I am looking at is listed as a 2005 Harley-Davidson 1200CC Touring Trike. For one, I am not sure as to the exact model (I think that it is based off of a Sportster 1200 Custom, as well as being a Lehman Trikes Raider Trike Kit...). Although it has a two-up seat, my concern is whether I will be able to find a backrest setup for this trike. My wife will not be happy if it can't have one installed.

trike1.jpgtrike2.jpg

If I need to change the seat to accommodate a backrest, that's not an issue.

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to locating a backrest setup for the trike. I appreciate any help that can be given.

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

I may be wrong, but, with that body, it may be hard to get a backrest for the wife ... I don't see any attachment points. If this is gonna be her trike, it's possible you could get one to work (assuming she's gonna be the rider). Most touring seats have a slot to mount one through. If you're looking for a sissy bar type for the passenger, it's gonna take some kind of mod and probably cutting the body.

This is what I was thinking, The wife will be on the back, so I am thinking that she may not be too pleased with just a small backrest pad. Not sure how much "support" they give. She is used to a firmly mounted backrest that goes half way up her back and has arms rests as well.

I finally found two versions of lower style backrest that mount into the seat (would have to get a new seat since the one that is on the trike is not convertible). I also saw some images of the mounts on the backrest being put into the fiberglass body. I would assume that they have a nice metal bracing on the underside aspect.

Appreciate the response.

After a quick search, I was able to find a Quick-Release Sissy Bar Upright - Freewheeler (excuse the horrible website design the you will see if you visit the site). I think that this will work, but will try to see how they mount it on the underside.

Must be a good morning for me. I now see that Lehman made an after thought modification to accommodate a HD Sportster with a passenger backrest and luggage rack. Nice little pdf with all the parts listed (Kuryakyn fender mount, HD sissy bar, backrest pad, luggage rack, etc).

backrest setup.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion. It helped locate something a lot easier than for a Sportster Trike. Maybe I will play the lottery today.

After a quick search, I was able to find a Quick-Release Sissy Bar Upright - Freewheeler (excuse the horrible website design the you will see if you visit the site). I think that this will work, but will try to see how they mount it on the underside.

Must be a good morning for me. I now see that Lehman made an after thought modification to accommodate a HD Sportster with a passenger backrest and luggage rack. Nice little pdf with all the parts listed (Kuryakyn fender mount, HD sissy bar, backrest pad, luggage rack, etc).

View attachment 75624

Thanks for the suggestion. It helped locate something a lot easier than for a Sportster Trike. Maybe I will play the lottery today.

Your choice of ride is not a Touring Trike, it is referred to as a day-tripper.

The reason for the small pad was to reduce leverage created by a taller sissy-bar upright.

The body has 5 or 6 mounting locations with fasteners.

4 of them are 5/16" bolts and washers through the fiberglass, 2 beneath the passenger floor pads and 2 or 3 in the trunk area.

The 5th or 6th is used for the seat attachment under the rider.

The Kuryakyn adapter relies on the hump in the body for mounting strength.

Rider/Passenger combined weight is 425 lbs putting the GVW at 1200 lbs weight, 200 lbs more than the stock 2 wheeler.

Exceeding recommended weight(s) is a sure trail to causing mechanical failures and fatigue.:Shrug:

Reference to Touring Trike was actually in the selling ad. Comparing this to a larger bike, it will definitely be for day rides.

Glad to see that between the wife and myself, we are well under the Rider/Passenger combined weight of 425 lbs!

The sissy bar setup is intended to give my wife a more secure feeling while on the back. Sitting only on a rear seat pad is not something that considers comfortable and is used to a sissy bar/pad set up on a Honda VTX.

#224 by Corbin

Reference to Touring Trike was actually in the selling ad. Comparing this to a larger bike, it will definitely be for day rides.

Glad to see that between the wife and myself, we are well under the Rider/Passenger combined weight of 425 lbs!

The sissy bar setup is intended to give my wife a more secure feeling while on the back. Sitting only on a rear seat pad is not something that considers comfortable and is used to a sissy bar/pad set up on a Honda VTX.

sissybar.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png