what gear for the cruise control

seniorsgt

150+ Posts
Jul 22, 2019
marquette mi
on two lane road, 55mph speed limit, the cruise control feels fine in 5th gear. im cruising 55-60 mph @ 28-3000 rpm if I use 6th it drops 21-2300rpm and feel jerky. above 65mph cruise feels great and runs about that that same 28-3000 rpm up to about 80mph on the interstate. seems odd but it feels like ill only be using 6th on the interstate, is this normal gearing. this was my second trip over 600 miles and first on some interstate

Normal

on two lane road, 55mph speed limit, the cruise control feels fine in 5th gear. im cruising 55-60 mph @ 28-3000 rpm if I use 6th it drops 21-2300rpm and feel jerky. above 65mph cruise feels great and runs about that that same 28-3000 rpm up to about 80mph on the interstate. seems odd but it feels like ill only be using 6th on the interstate, is this normal gearing. this was my second trip over 600 miles and first on some interstate

That is normal. Mine does about the same. 6th is a cruising gear.

55-60mph, I use 5th normally. Above 65mph, 6th gear. The more I use cruise control, the more I like it.

In heavier traffic I have stayed in 4th. at 55mph for the extra punch, if needed.:D

I never used cruise for the first two years now 2013 and 2014 will not be without it now. Now I use it all the time on the open road not in traffic though. I have a smashed wrist and the cruise sure takes a lot of pressure off of it. Generally I'm in 6 gear using cruise however I have used in 5th. on slower speed limited roads. Travel safe Fred

Cruise is a absolute must for my local rides....keeps me from getting nabbed in those rural highway speed traps. Setting 5mph over limit is generally safe.....over that, you're the Huckleberry!

I've even used it at 45mph. No problem. I have carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. The right one still gets 'buzzy' some times. If I can put it on cruise for a minute or so, I can work it off.

Reactions: MDO
I don't think the gear is as important as RPM. Keep the RPM's up at 2K+ and you can be in cruise in any gear that it can be set in. I believe I have be in at least 4th before cruise can be set on my Indian. I can't remember what it was on my Harley though.

As others have stated, the RPMs is the most critical factor; keep em up and you will have no issues. I even use mine in 2nd and 3rd gear; if I ride to work on CCAFS, I have to stop at the security gate to show my badge. The base also requires jacket, full gloves, helmet, etc., so I keep my badge in my upper jacket inner pocket. Pull off my right glove when in line ans set it between my legs, pull out the badge to show the guard, then tuck it back in the pocket and pull out so I don't hold up those behind me. Get to 2nd gear at 2500-3000, set cruise, then ride no hands :gah: to get the glove on (I know, I know!) :Shrug:

My biggest fear is when letting go of the handle bars . Is hitting a bump and the bike turns hard an fast!:(

You would have to hit one, and a big one at an odd angle as it will want to continue going relative straight. So I don't think you have a thing to worry about.:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Cruising along

With my twin cam 120 ST I run cruise in 6th gear as low as 50, and it works great even two up with luggage. The extra torque of the 120 really helps also passing in 6th gear.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png