Passenger foot peg heat

Jul 22, 2018
Lugoff, SC, USA
image.jpeg

My occational passenger is complaining about hot exhaust pipe when riding

To the point where she can't keep the foot on the board , does anyone have

a fix for this other than changing exhaust? Heat shield or ?

i measured 285 degree temp on the pipe, so I can see how that may

be uncomfortable after awhile

You can raise that footboard plus you would have to do the other side to match, how much you can raise it not sure, also depends on her leg length which might not work.

Another solution is go to DK customs web site he has a new product out that has various positions for the passenger, I know his wife Mary loves this, might want to check it out or give them a call.

All for now Trampas

If you are able raise the Passenger foot boards and check out a good heat management program for your Harley. Reducing heat will lengthen the life and performance of your ride, it will love you for it. My Bride was uncomfortable with the heat until we made changes in our trike. Kevin at DK Customs is very knowledgeable about the heat issues we face with Twin cam motors. :good: Good luck Fred

+1 to talking with DK Customs. Right off the bat, the twin cam motor is often lean from the factory. It can be re-tuned to eliminate this and it will run cooler. Your 117 S.E. may already be tuned.

Let us know how you solve the problem.

Kuryakyn has adjustable pegs that my wife loves, the part number is 4353.

View attachment 77041

Those are kewl ... gives the passenger another spot to put their feet.

Right.jpg

Also ... Harley makes an adjustable passenger mount (CVO style) ... HD says they don't work with a trike ... but

L CVO Done.jpg

Adjustable Passenger Board Mounts 2.jpg

Got mine on eBay for $115 years ago ... Harley wanted like $359 ... the $115 made switching to adjustable comparable to just buying chrome mounts, even though I don't have a co rider at all ... I bought these for a two wheeler ... :D

Note: If you do the CVO style mounts and want to do the Kuryakyn adjustable too, it's a different part number for the Kury's.

You can raise that footboard plus you would have to do the other side to match, how much you can raise it not sure, also depends on her leg length which might not work.

Another solution is go to DK customs web site he has a new product out that has various positions for the passenger, I know his wife Mary loves this, might want to check it out or give them a call.

All for now Trampas

Thanks for your feedback, I'll check into it

What head pipe are you running? Just my opinion, but the way it's routed it looks like it would have to cause problems for a passenger.

It looks like it might also make it difficult to mount that Adjustable Passenger Peg, or at least getting the full range of adjustment that side . That rear head pipe angle comes extremely close to the Passenger Footboard.

Kuryakyn has adjustable pegs that my wife loves, the part number is 4353.

View attachment 77041

I put these same ones on from Kuryakyn, actually bought them from a Harley dealer. They have two locked positions she can adjust them to plus they can be pushed all the way down and back if you want them out of the way totally. She said they were a lifesaver as far as getting her foot away from the heat plus letting her change leg positions on longer rides.

What head pipe are you running? Just my opinion, but the way it's routed it looks like it would have to cause problems for a passenger.

Not sure what make or number they are, The bike was modified by the previous owner, he had a Screaming Eagle stage 4 kit put on, as well as this " other head pipes" I noticed that they are Not 2into1, but straight pipes all the way back, maybe they had to run them that way for them to be equal length ? Most others seem to be 2 into 1 then a crossover pipe

to the left side, I'm considering some new head pipes from Jackpot, they have one set that has cheramic coating to minimize heat, any comments would be greatly appreciated

Those pipes sound like a great choice but I have no experience with them. I have run Rush ceramic pipes on my Fatboy and they performed as advertised plus look good. Good luck with making your passenger comfy.

I have the Kury passenger hi-way pegs on mine also. Wife is able to change foot positions and like them a lot. Not sure how they would work with your current pipe, though. I can see where that would get really hot.

I have the Kury passenger hi-way pegs on mine also. Wife is able to change foot positions and like them a lot. Not sure how they would work with your current pipe, though. I can see where that would get really hot.

Thanks for all advice, based on what I have heard, it sounds like a new set of head pipes is my best choice, trying to decide between " Rush and Fuel-Moto" both are cheramic coated both inside and out, similar in price at around $700, not sure who is the better choice

Thanks for all advice, based on what I have heard, it sounds like a new set of head pipes is my best choice, trying to decide between " Rush and Fuel-Moto" both are ceramic coated both inside and out, similar in price at around $700, not sure who is the better choice

Sounds like you are on the right track changing headpipe no Cat.. pair of performance mufflers, Good ECM tuner,Do a lift on the fuel tank that directs air on motor, DK's air deflectors decreases air buffeting from Bat Wing faring pushes more air on motor helps it run cooler. A quality air intake to let that motor breath better. I have everything but change head pipe on my old 09 it never had a Cat... and believe me it has made a world of difference in heat felt by passenger and rider. One of the best changes were adding love Jug Mini Might fans to the motor. When I started down the path of heat management going through city's and towns even small one's Old Shiney would get extremely hot 285 to 300 degrees was average, now we motor through at 230 to 245 degrees make no mistake the oil when I change oil it is not nasty looking or smells like it is burnt. What you are doing is by far the best thing you can do for performance, longevity the life of your motor and enjoyment of the ride. I believe the changes are worth every Penny spent. Any questions let us know. :good:Travel safe FredDSC01022.JPGDSC00225.JPGDSC00226.JPG

I'm running Fullsac DX headers in front of my Rineharts, very happy with the combination.

I got à reply back from fuel-moto, they identified my pipes to be Rinehart Xtreme True Duals

The setup is designed and tuned for increased torque and hp, with the drawback of the close proximity to the rear foot boards, I was thinking that maybe I could wrap the pipe in heat shield tape ( see pic) then reinstall the heat shields for original look and achieve a cooler result ?

image.jpeg

I got à reply back from fuel-moto, they identified my pipes to be Rinehart Xtreme True Duals

The setup is designed and tuned for increased torque and hp, with the drawback of the close proximity to the rear foot boards, I was thinking that maybe I could wrap the pipe in heat shield tape ( see pic) then reinstall the heat shields for original look and achieve a cooler result ?

View attachment 77228

Try it, you have little to lose. You can make a final decision later and maybe have a little winter project if you're not satisfied with the wrap.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
51fatfendertruck

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
51fatfendertruck
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png