Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange shimmy on Monarch II trike

Thumper
    Gold Club Member
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Front tire cupping will create shakes , due to improper pressures. The previous owner might not of had it right.
    2012 Triglide Piaggio MP3 500 to get groceries 1991 FLHS as back up
    "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it !"
    Tiffany, Olive, Daisy, “The Three Musketeers” together again.

User ID

Don't know where you are with this now, but often a change from two wheels to three wheels leads to similar complaints. A bike traverses road elevation changes as it stays vertical. It does not heel over when a wheel is not 100% perpendicular to surface, it stays in a attitude dictated by gravity's pull and balance and whether turning or not. A trike is totally different, if the right rear drops into a dip, the trike will try to turn right. Trail that is good for a bike makes a trike steer heavy and the front end more like a big caster that follows (like shopping cart) so the trike wants to steer right in this case, the bike doesn't even see the dip as a direction influence.
    Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road"!

20+ Posts
    User ID

I am well aware of how a trike handles versus a bike. Thanks for your input. I have travelled about 600,000 on Motor Trike before I got this one. Both Motor Trikes were the Adventure models which have independant suspension. This new (to me) trike has a solid axle. They respond very differently from an IRS trike. My problem turned out to be way too much air in the rear tires. The Lehman factory advised 26 # in the rear. That is way too much in my opinion. Those rear tires are rated to hold up over 3000 pounds of car. On a trike they hold up about 350# each. I reduced the air pressure to 20 #. They are after all radial tires. This cured the problem completely. It steers and rides now like a trike should.

User ID

OooohKay
    Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road"!

Lehman / Champion Guru
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Lee View Post
    I am well aware of how a trike handles versus a bike. Thanks for your input. I have travelled about 600,000 on Motor Trike before I got this one. Both Motor Trikes were the Adventure models which have independant suspension. This new (to me) trike has a solid axle. They respond very differently from an IRS trike. My problem turned out to be way too much air in the rear tires. The Lehman factory advised 26 # in the rear. That is way too much in my opinion. Those rear tires are rated to hold up over 3000 pounds of car. On a trike they hold up about 350# each. I reduced the air pressure to 20 #. They are after all radial tires. This cured the problem completely. It steers and rides now like a trike should.
    From Lehman Trikes.......... WHAT IS THE CORRECT TIRE PRESSURE FOR MY TRIKE?

There has been a lot of confusion and misinformation out there when it comes to tire pressures for trike riders. Most all
    trikes have a motorcycle tire up front and automotive tires in the rear. The motorcycle compliance label has a recommended pressure for both the front and the rear tires. Now that your motorcycle is a trike are these still the pressures to use?

Since we are trying to clear up the confusion and misinformation... the answer is yes and no!

Let me explain more fully. We, Lehman Trikes, have always recommended that you maintain the same pressure the
    motorcycle manufacturer lists on the compliance label for the front wheel. There is no reason to change this pressure. That’s the “yes”. The “no” is a bit more involved.

First of all, the two automotive tires like those installed on the rear of your trike are
    a completely different design than the single motorcycle tire they replace.

Now for some history. Lehman Trikes has
    been building and riding trikes for 25 years. Our founder, John Lehman, and many of the dedicated trike riders that work here have experimented for years trying to find what air pressure in the rear tires gives you the best ride, handling and tire life. What they found and recommended for years was an air pressure in the 20 to 22 psi range worked best.

So why, if you look at a current Lehman Trikes Owner’s Manual or the Owner’s Manual for a H-D Tri Glide, do you see
    a 26 psi recommendation for the rear tires? When I came to Lehman Trikes several years ago one of the things I was asked to do was to confirm with the manufacturer of our tires that they would support our recommendation of 20 to 22 psi air pressures for our application. What I learned is that no tire manufacturer will recommend anything less than 26 psi for standard automotive tires.
    Jim Murphy
    Lehman Tech since 1998
    Champion Tech since 2005
    Lehman & Champion Dealer Owner Operator
    Iron Butt Rider 2001

WHEN HELP IS OFFERED, A SIMPLE "THANK YOU" IS APPRECIATED.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12