Likes Likes:  12
Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange shimmy on Monarch II trike

20+ Posts
    User ID

Default Strange shimmy on Monarch II trike

First post here and hope to solve a problem. I just bought a 2010 Goldwing with the Monarch II trike. I was surprised that even at slow speeds the trike front end seemed to have a mind of it's own, It wanted to go into an uncontrollable shimmy even at slow speeds. Is there some unique about the suspension that would cause this? Is it normal ? Any help will certainly be welcome. I've had a Motor Trike before this and after 300,000 miles on it, never a problem. But it was an IRS suspension where this one is solid axle.

51000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Lee View Post
    First post here and hope to solve a problem. I just bought a 2010 Goldwing with the Monarch II trike. I was surprised that even at slow speeds the trike front end seemed to have a mind of it's own, It wanted to go into an uncontrollable shimmy even at slow speeds. Is there some unique about the suspension that would cause this? Is it normal ? Any help will certainly be welcome. I've had a Motor Trike before this and after 300,000 miles on it, never a problem. But it was an IRS suspension where this one is solid axle.
    Long time between post's' Lee.......

..Besides the shimmy what have you been up to....
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2018...SLINGSHOT...........

20+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by rhino 2 View Post
    Long time between post's' Lee.......

..Besides the shimmy what have you been up to....
    For the last few years I been riding all over on my Honda ST1300. Sadly, I have a torn Achilles tendon and they say it will take about 8 months to heal so I didn't want to have to be laid up that long and thus the trike. I can't really steady myself without the use of that right foot. So my precious ST will have to go.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Check tire balance and pressures ... jack up the front of the trike and check the steering head bearing. Those would be my first thoughts.
    2014 Tri Glide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2006 Gold Wing Comfort Navi Abs - Jessica, 2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

20+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe View Post
    Check tire balance and pressures ... jack up the front of the trike and check the steering head bearing. Those would be my first thoughts.
    Those are the first things I thought of and have been done. The bike only has 6200 miles since new. I was wondering if there is anything on the trike chassis that might need attention.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Lee View Post

Is it "uncontrollable" even with hands on grips? You say "even at slow speeds", does it do it at highway speeds, on smooth highways? Accelerating or decelerating?
    Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road"!

20+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
    Is it "uncontrollable" even with hands on grips? You say "even at slow speeds", does it do it at highway speeds, on smooth highways? Accelerating or decelerating?
    It was pretty violent at slow speeds. Enough so that I feared taking it out on the road. Today I will play with rear tire pressure. The book says 26 but I personally think that's way too much. When I had a trike before, I ran the rear tires at 18 pounds and never had a problem. I'll report back once I try a few more things. I think that because of the solid axle and too much air in the rear tires that maybe even the tiniest bump starts this oscillation. Maybe if the tire were more flexible, they would adsorb at least part of the road shock that causes this.

20+ Posts
    User ID

Here is an update to the problem I originally posted about. I ended up checking the tire pressure. It was set at 36 pounds on the rear tires. I reduced that to 20 pounds and you would never know it was the same trike. Consider the fact that these radial tires were actually meant for a vehicle that weighs 3 to 4000 pounds. This trike only has about 350 pounds of weight on each rear tire The tires when inflated correctly for the weight give a much better ride and absorb a good share of the stress from a rough road. I'm wondering if others have thought about this and also how much air is right for your trike. I might mention here that before I had a Motor Trike and kept the pressure on it at 18 pounds for over 60,000 miles and the tires still have plenty of tread.

User ID

I run 22 psi normally, 25 psi if loaded two up & pulling the trailer.

36 psi is really high, makes tire hard and less absorbent of bumps, thus pulling the front off center due to trail.
    Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road"!

Just Killing Time...
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

2008 Goldwing GL1800

MotorTrike Adventure kit

Solo rider

24 Rear ... cold

38 Front ... cold ... BT45 in forward rotation

Ride-On in all 3 tires

Fork Brace to stop slight shimmy when barely creeping very slow over driveway bumps

No problems.
    New course heading Mr. Sulu: ...2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast