Likes Likes:  1
Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Adding Aux Fuel Tank

  1. #1
    1+ Posts
    User ID
    30228
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Victorville, CA, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Adding Aux Fuel Tank

    Looking for recommendations on a do-it-yourself auxiliary fuel tank install. Anybody bought it and install it themselves? Pros and Cons.....

  2. Roadsmith banner
  3. #2
    51000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    rhino 2's Avatar
    User ID
    6298
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mendham NJ USA
    Posts
    51,246

    Default

    Jim...........Welcome to Trike-Talk..................
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2018...SLINGSHOT...........

  4. #3
    950+ Posts Texan's Avatar
    User ID
    15700
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimLindenberg View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a do-it-yourself auxiliary fuel tank install. Anybody bought it and install it themselves? Pros and Cons.....
    I'm really the wrong person to ask this question and probably shouldn't even comment but since I'm here.

    What size tank do you have now? I'm a big proponent of getting off the trike and stretching my legs. I have a '13 with a 6 gal tank and after 175-185 miles I'm ready to get some blood back in my butt. Granted I do carry a gal of extra gas in my trunk for emergencies but what is the rush that you have to go non-stop for 240-260 miles. Iron Butt run?? I've done several of those but still stopped to stretch my legs.

    Welcome aboard and maybe somebody else is a little more positive about adding that modification and can help ya.

    8~\o
    "Anybody can become an American but ya have to be born a TEXAN"

    "Ya know I haven't been everywhere but it's on my bucket list"

  5. #4
    1500+ Posts trikeman's Avatar
    User ID
    3535
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jackson Tn. Madison Co.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default


  6. #5
    1+ Posts
    User ID
    30407
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Lesho
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I had a 97 GL1500 with aux Roadsmith tank. You flipped a switch to change from main to aux tank or vice versa. I now have an 06 and they changed the aux tank function a tad. You run on main tank and when the low fuel light comes on, you flick a toggle and it pumps gas from the aux tank to the main. I go a bit over 250 miles on both tanks (about 28-29 mpg) and there is still a bit of fuel on tap and haven't stretched it beyond that point. Since the GL1800 trike is sort of fuel thirsty, an aux tank is a good thing to have in my opinion and was a must when I was looking. As far as installing your own aux tank (non Roadsmith), not sure if any are out there. Body will have to come off I believe to install any aux tank. Roadsmith calls their aux tank 5 gallons but it holds perhaps 4.5 gallons; not sure as I don't think it is pumped totally dry when pushing the fuel over to the main tank.

  7. #6
    1+ Posts
    User ID
    30228
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Victorville, CA, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Texan View Post
    I'm really the wrong person to ask this question and probably shouldn't even comment but since I'm here.

    What size tank do you have now? I'm a big proponent of getting off the trike and stretching my legs. I have a '13 with a 6 gal tank and after 175-185 miles I'm ready to get some blood back in my butt. Granted I do carry a gal of extra gas in my trunk for emergencies but what is the rush that you have to go non-stop for 240-260 miles. Iron Butt run?? I've done several of those but still stopped to stretch my legs.

    Welcome aboard and maybe somebody else is a little more positive about adding that modification and can help ya.

    I just want the "comfort" of knowing I have the extra gas. I also carry a gas can in the trunk. It's just the last trip we were on the gas stations fell in the wrong place and seemed like we stopped every 50 miles because of the distance between gas station. We usually on ride 100 miles then take a break/

    8~\o
    I just want the "comfort" of knowing I have the extra gas. I also carry a gas can in the trunk. It's just the last trip we were on the gas stations fell in the wrong place and seemed like we stopped every 50 miles because of the distance between gas station. We usually on ride 100 miles then take a break....

  8. #7
    1+ Posts
    User ID
    30228
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Victorville, CA, USA
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geol View Post
    I had a 97 GL1500 with aux Roadsmith tank. You flipped a switch to change from main to aux tank or vice versa. I now have an 06 and they changed the aux tank function a tad. You run on main tank and when the low fuel light comes on, you flick a toggle and it pumps gas from the aux tank to the main. I go a bit over 250 miles on both tanks (about 28-29 mpg) and there is still a bit of fuel on tap and haven't stretched it beyond that point. Since the GL1800 trike is sort of fuel thirsty, an aux tank is a good thing to have in my opinion and was a must when I was looking. As far as installing your own aux tank (non Roadsmith), not sure if any are out there. Body will have to come off I believe to install any aux tank. Roadsmith calls their aux tank 5 gallons but it holds perhaps 4.5 gallons; not sure as I don't think it is pumped totally dry when pushing the fuel over to the main tank.
    I would buy the Roadsmith Aux Tank and was curious if anybody has installed one.

Similar Threads

  1. Aux Fuel Tank
    By borg35 in forum Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-23-2018, 09:46 AM
  2. CSC aux fuel tank and MPG
    By Southern Man in forum Brand Specific Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 09:25 PM
  3. Roadsmith Aux. Fuel Tank
    By Konrad in forum Honda Trikes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 02:01 PM
  4. Roadsmith Aux fuel tank
    By minnleeboy in forum Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 11:46 PM
  5. exaust, and aux fuel tank
    By hammwill in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •