We were robbed at gun-point...

Interesting part of all this to my eyes ... ears ... whatever. When you were with full documentation ... IE pre robbery, you got stopped by to my count 3 times by military check points. I may be wrong on the count, but it was at least once :D.

Post robbery, while you're driving around sans any real paperwork and under lots of stress about that, no stops. I've never been a fan of coincidence ... so, I'm guessing there's more to it. :D

Interesting part of all this to my eyes ... ears ... whatever. When you were with full documentation ... IE pre robbery, you got stopped by to my count 3 times by military check points. I may be wrong on the count, but it was at least once :D.

Post robbery, while you're driving around sans any real paperwork and under lots of stress about that, no stops. I've never been a fan of coincidence ... so, I'm guessing there's more to it. :D

Everybody gets stopped at every military checkpoint for a few words, where you're coming from, where you're headed.

The bugaboo is when they send you over to the side of the road to look at your ID and search the vehicle.

This is why it was high stress levels going thru them with no ID.

Once, while we still had our ID, we were sent to the side of the road for further checking. When we got there, there were already so many vehicles there, there was no room for us. Instead of telling us to wait in line to get that "secondary" check, he waved us on, bypassing the "secondary" check.

Kevin

Sounds like a good plan all around!

I think so. When I was a child in the '50s, we lived in Del Rio, Tx. My parents had friends all along the Rio Grande, both sides of it too. We've been known to cross over into Mexico just for a gathering to play cards or join other Hams for a picnic or dinner. Just how it was then & it was great "then", but from what I understand, not so much "now".

First home, before I was born even, Dad had just brought his brand new bride (Mom) back from Virginia. Was no housing on base (Laughlin AFB) for family then, but Mr. Avila (ran a radio repair business) had a new cinderblock garage for his home shop, he added a bathroom and put up room deviders and that was Mom & Dad's first home together until I came along, he never accepted any payment either.

Once, when I was still in diapers, I wandered away from the house. Mom called the police, officer came, she described me, my diaper too I guess, and my striped tee shirt. They got a report from a large family type gathering a few blocks away about this gringo kid who wandered into the yard and just didn't look like one of theirs ... I liked tamales & tortillas even then I guess. My first ride in a police car was to home. I was "profiled".

Buddy of mine who went through trooper school with me & retired 2 months after I did … was raised in SW Va. and before going in service when in high school, he met a exchange student from Mexico, "lell in fove" I guess, wrote to her often from Nam. He came home, kissed his Mom, got into his '72 Nova SS and headed off to Mexico to see his girl. Said that somewhere between Texas and her home he fell asleep and run off the road and rolled the car in the desert but was unhurt himself. A pickup truck full of drunk Mexicans came along and picked him up and took him to a town where he was dropped off at a police station. He got into an old car he said was a '49 or so Ford with an old Federale who was gonna drive him back to the wreck. Said a vent wing had a bullet hole in it, the officer's side arm was a .45 Colt auto full cocked and the cigar he smoked would gag a normal person. They found the Nova, a tow truck had followed them, so it was hooked up, and while a garage fixed it up so he could drive it, he spent like 6 weeks in Mexico at his girl friends home with her & her parents. Her daddy came home every night, eat supper then took my buddy out for drinks until really late he said. He said the car looked plumb awful when he got it back but it run so he drove it back to USA, sold it, and caught a bus home from Texas. He come back to Va. and met & married a girl lived just down the road from home …

... still got her too. ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png