Roadstar

Progress

Been working on the Stratoliner mostly so my wife can start riding again. But I have been sneaking work on the RoadStar. I had to redesign the rear frame a bit since the fenders sat lower than the center section. Karen wants to have a passenger seat and trunk which throws a wrench in the original design I had in mind, but is still workable. I need to fiberglass the fenders to the center section, glass some fairings from the center section to the trunk, weld mounting points for the body, finish the brakes, etc, etc. But with warmer weather I should be able to push forward. Also seems like fender skirts are agreed upon.... Now I need to fiberglass a front fender that's longer than stock so skirts can be added there too.

Fiberglass Fitting 1.jpgFiberglass Fitting 2.jpgFender Skirt Look.jpg

Brakes

Well I decided to add brakes to the rear axle for my wife. Might even run brake lines to the too!:D Bolted the brake disk in place, put a thin spacer in the caliper to get clearance between it and the disk, and then shimmed the caliper where the disk was centered in it. Made cardboard templates for the two pieces needed, cut them out of 3/8" high carbon steel, grinding and sanding to fit, then welded them in place. Still need a bit of cleaning up but I did get the right caliper mounted. Just don't understand why my pictures come out sideways, but what the heck.....

Right Brake Bracket.jpgRight Brake Assembly.jpg

That's great information since I want to rake her bike a bit come December.

After putting the kit together, I did not rake it. After a long twisties trip, I was sitting in my easy chair thinking I was having a heart attack with severe pains in my chest. A little probing found the source of the pain. Chest muscles were overworked. Ordered a 5º tree the next day.:D

Progress

Turned some buttons and washers to bolt the body to the frame. After welding them to the body supports I can now bolt the body on. The image shows how everything bolts together. I have 3.5" clearance between the tire and inside of the fender which should allow for the horrible roads in Louisiana.

Butons & Washers for Bolting Body on.jpgBody Bolted to Rear Frame.jpgBody Test Fit to Frame.jpg

Progress

Did lots of grinding and sanding on the rear frame. During a break from it, I welded some pins together to hold the air shocks in place. While I don't ever want the belt to break on the road, I figured just puling a clip and sliding the pin out is not only easier, but fewer tools to carry along.

Shock Pins.jpg

Progress

Using some Styrofoam, I shaped a fairing under the trunk on my wife's bike. Lots of sanding and double checking for symmetry then a few layers of fiberglass mat and epoxy resin. The Styrofoam will be cleaned out once it's cured.

Blocking the Trunk Fairing in.jpgShaped and Epoxy Glassed.jpg

Tail Lights

Priced the tail light trim ring and was knocked over by the price for a piece of plastic that was chromed. $65 plus shipping. That was on line so I won't say the triple digit cost locally. Decided to french them into the fenders a bit. Used aluminum to make a lip that catches the top of the light and a point at the bottom that has a screw. Simply slide it in from the backside, place the top under that hook, and push the light into position, lastly, screw it in with the lower screw mount. I have yet to understand why my images flip 90* to the right when I post them. The gravity must be screwed up down here.....

Tail Light Mount.jpgTail Light Mounted.jpgTail Light Cut Out.jpgTail Light in Place.jpg

Road Ready

Got my wife's bike road ready. While not painted, we can and will be riding around the local area as much as possible checking for bugs before leaving for Eureka Springs this week. She didn't like the over the top exhaust though!!! Going to give it a good pressure wash and then detail the OEM portion. Sitting under the carport while I was glassing and sanding the body parts sure got it filthy..

Just Done 1.jpgJust Done 2.jpgHated Exhaust.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png