Mid Engine

Dec 16, 2017
Chauvin, La
As I am now well into re-triking my bike and triking my wife's bike, I have also dragged out my friends VW trike for rebuilding. Searching the forums hasn't given me the answer to my problem. Building a mid engine trike and moving the engine forward either by DIY mod or adding a second tranny housing, what is needed to extend the transmission shaft to the engine? Anyone have an explanation and or pictures how it was/has been done?

There is an entire sticky thread at the top with a full build of a front engine.

Many many parts can not be bought. But if you do not go to crazy with it there are a lot of buggy parts that can be used. But some items have to be custom machined.

15547754014592.jpg

Rex is the one to chat with about this build. He did do wonders with his creation. He knows a lot about what can be done and what will not work. Plus it is always good to bounce one's idea's off another's head, so to speak...

It is a very creative build and we do hope you the best with it. Many things discussed and done on this site..

Tranny Shaft

I read through the Tech Tech sticky and saw it covered tranny cases, suspension, engine, and a bit of frame, but either missed the tranny shaft extension or there isn't one. I know any modification will be a DIY but looking for ideas so I don't try to reinvent the wheel. My plan is to obtain a worn tranny center shaft with the spline to place in the clutch and an used clutch disk or two to fit on the existing tranny shaft. Then I can connect the two like a mini driveshaft with a small universal joint.

Go see the "Anyone Else" thread.

That does have the shaft and adapter in mine.

If you are serious about it ..... I have prints.

Tranny Shaft

So you used an old tranny shaft with an old clutch disk spline hole? I do like the middle "driveshaft" support bearing too. I'm trying to find a used tranny shaft and clutch disks to fabricate the driveshaft. Started reading the Who Else thread and WOW! All I can say is WOW! Even if this was MY bike I just don't have the patience or access to equipment for that kind of meticulous work. Did I say WOW yet? Thanks. Going to keep reading that thread.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png