I know I am posting this in the Tri Glide sub-forum, but it also applies to Freewheelers. Unfortunately it does not apply to conversions.

There is a new kind of Warranty available. aka Extended Service Plan (ESP)

There are a couple revolutionary benefits, and one very important benefit that we used to get from Harley, that are no longer available from Harley. PLUS, it is less expensive.

New Benefits:

1. All benefits can be available from Day 1 on a new bike. This means that the overly restrictive, EPA controlled, HD factory warranty does not need to even be taken into consideration.

This ESP will cover "everything" from day one...no waiting for the factory warranty to expire so that you can get better warranty benefits. This ESP runs concurrently with the factory warranty.

Some will say this is a waste, they have paid for the factory warranty (when buying the bike) and now are paying for the extended warranty for the same time period.

WELL....that used to be true. But ever since HD got involved with the government on their warranty, they have so many restrictions on their factory warranty that many times it is worse than useless.

How can it be worse than useless? Simple...you put some non-epa approved slip-ons on your Trike. Then months later take it to the Dealership because a sensor in your EFI went out. The dealership is obligated to report your non epa slip-ons to Harley corporate, at which point the ENTIRE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY is voided on your Trike. The malfunctioning sensor will not be replaced and no warranty work will ever be done on your entire powertrain ever again.

With this new ESP, the sensor will be replaced, no deductible, and your entire warranty is still in effect.

2. There is a Wear and Tear rider (additional cost) that can be added that provides coverage on parts where operating performance has been diminished as a result of normal wear and aging.

This is particularly useful to high mileage riders.

Benefit we used to get from Harley that we no longer get from HD, but do get out of this ESP:

It used to be that if we added a PowerVision, or cams, or an air cleaner or exhaust, that unless the part we added caused some part to fail on the Trike, then the part was covered under warranty.

eg. I add Rush Slip-ons to my Trike and 6 months go by and my inner primary bearing starts leaking. In the past, that was no problem, because the Rush Slip-ons did NOT cause the inner primary bearing to leak. So HD would fix it under warranty.

NOT any more. Since 2017, if the above occurs, HD will not fix the leaking primary.

With the new ESP, it is covered.

To me, as a Tri Glide owner and a Softail owner, this is huge. These bikes can get very expensive, very fast, when certain items fail.

Because of that I will not own a Twin Cam or an M8 without a warranty...But, since the factory warranty & the HD ESP have such drastic and illogical restrictions to them, it really puts me in a pickle.

By nature I want to modify/improve my rides. I want them to run better, more comfortably, more reliably. I want them to sound different, and look different. But since this EPA/HD marriage, the cost/risk of making my bike my own has greatly increased.

Not anymore.

So, I guess you can tell I'm pretty stoked about this ESP. I've been hoping and waiting for it...and now it is here.

Now for the disclaimers:

1. I have not done a claim with them, so cannot attest to how well they perform. They've been in business since 1975 and they have an A+ rating with the BBB.

2. I am not affiliated, nor receiving any compensation from them.

3. I have spent a couple of hours going over their contracts and talking with a representative about some clarifications/addendum's that would be good for the Harley market.

4. Last, but not least- besides a benefit to myself personally, on my own bikes, this ESP will allow folks to get some of the products we manufacture and still be covered by warranty that they might not have been comfortable getting from us with only the HD Warranty...so there is a potential benefit to DK Custom from this superior ESP.

You can learn more about it from Jim Palmer at https://www.motorcycleagent.com/

Kevin