'91/2010 homemade Tri Glide

Nov 23, 2019
Chas. WV USA
New to the site, in the process of building a trike out of a '91 FLHTC and 2010 Tri Glide rear.

Does anyone know where to get wheels that will run a tire more narrow than the 205's Harley

puts on them? I'm hoping to go with something around a 145/R65 or 70 15 tire. Also is anyone

else runnin' narrow tires? If so what size/brand? How do you like them? I think with a more narrow

tire it will be lighter and handle better. My thoughts are bigger ain't always better.

Thanks in advance..

Welcome

I admire people that take on projects like this. As to the rear tires. If you get the geometry the same as the TriGlide you will have a machine that handles like it is on rails with stock width tires. I am pretty aggressive in the twistys and don't know that narrow tires would allow that. I think a loss of traction could get dangerous under high loads in tight curves. Just my take on it.

Welcome to the forums

Kurt

Hi Gary! No words of wisdom to your inquiry.

Just Welcome To TrikeTalk from the Texas Hill Country!

Good luck with your project!

:wave4:Welcome to Trike Talk Gary!!! I would think anything less than a 195 could have issues with rolling the sidewalls over under hard corning or evasive maneuvers.Sounds like an interesting project and i'm sure most would love to see pictures of it as you go and the completed rig.

New to the site, in the process of building a trike out of a '91 FLHTC and 2010 Tri Glide rear.

Does anyone know where to get wheels that will run a tire more narrow than the 205's Harley

puts on them? I'm hoping to go with something around a 145/R65 or 70 15 tire. Also is anyone

else runnin' narrow tires? If so what size/brand? How do you like them? I think with a more narrow

tire it will be lighter and handle better. My thoughts are bigger ain't always better.

Thanks in advance..
welcome to the forum from Western Pennsylvania. Also remember tri's are geared 30 on front pulley 70 on rear. Makes a huge difference just sayin Fred

Howdy to all..

Welcome to the forums from Middle Georgia Gary!

Big ol' Howdy to everyone and thanks for welcome and info. On my project, so far I've acquired the main frame,

'91 FLHTC, a 2010 Tri Glide complete rear axle, 50's panhead frontend and all of the other fixin's 'cept the fiberglass

body which I will fabricate. My current ride is a 90's softail frame running a 75 FLH frontend, 98 5 speed with 99

Evo, suicide shift. Made most of the other stuff including the saddle bags, seats, sissy bar, all forward controls and

dash. All lights are LED that I fabricated. Don't think the trike deal will be too challenging as I've built every bike I've

rode but one. That was a 2009 Ultra Classic that I just dumped about 3 months ago. Had it about 1-1/2 years

trying to get used to it and never did. Then the so called 'throttle by wire' thing hit me and I said no more. I've rode

suicide shift for almost 40 years with all the controls that did what I wanted then to when I wanted them to. This 'new'

garbage that Harley started just don't get it with me. The trike will be suicide shift and I intend to put real, live gears

to make it go in reverse when I want. Heard a lot of horror stories about the little reverse electric motor burning out

and I won't play that game either. Just tried to attach a pic of my current ride but don't know if it worked...

Anyway, I'll quit jawin' and get busy...

Howdy and Thanks to eveyone!!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 170

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png