Zero Trike Build

Did a little photoshopping last night to give the body concept some form. I want to expose and highlight the IRS, but have a small space for my helmet and gloves n'such. So I am going for a mini version of a boat tail speedster for the "body"... Here is the idea...

Boat tail.jpg

Boat tail 2.jpg

The design elements of the IRS are too nice to hide

When I stopped at DK to meet Kevin we talked about twin cam performance. I asked about changing cams for added power. He said that the twin cam has a weak point and it is the crank and adding a cam for more torque would put more strain on the crank. I did some research and sure enough something that performance shops do is weld the crank to eliminate the possibility of it twisting. It may be something to look at for your build.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Well after some research we came to the same conclusion as Kevin referenced... gotta give it a better lower end the Mother MoCo provided....

We found a combination of pieces that got us to the engine goal starting with a 4.375˝ stroke Dark Horse crankshaft with 7.670˝ H-beam rods on a balanced, welded and trued crank. They say this set up features 114% stronger pinion and output shafts. We ordered 3.934˝ forged CP-Carillo pistons. That got us to 107cid while retaining stock cylinder height. The pistons have a 3cc dome, which should give us 10.75:1 static compression ratio (Yes we are adding compression releases for starting). Head work includes porting for oversized valves was next. The valves were upgraded to 1.900˝ intake and 1.630˝ exhaust nitride stainless valves with manganese bronze guides, all from Kibblewhite. The left main bearing will be upgraded from a single roller bearing to a dual-tapered Timken bearing setup. And Jack, the recommendation is a .030˝ MLS head gasket and then full Cometic engine and primary gaskets

Started working with Terry at SikPipes. The Hooker Fourbidden clone was going to be STUPID expensive to build, so we are going to modify one of their current designs to get to the header I want.

This is the Octane pipe they sell

Sik Pipes 1.jpg

This is what Terry is going to do to it...

Sik Pipes 2.jpg

It will get me the look AND that LAF pipe sound that I like :D

I am taking the rolling chassis (frame, tanks, dash, floor boards, seat etc.) up to Just Hawgs next week. They are going to gas axe the frame just ahead of the forward motor mounts and just aft of the backbone. We will replace the backbone, neck, and front legs with new metal to get to the line of the bike I am seeking. This is pretty much the target, a gooseneck in the frame and a 44-45 degree rake for the springer (trail target will be achieved by the new rocker design)

Gooseneck 1.jpg

This the fun part of chopper building..... the choppin!!!!!!

Well, she's a Fred Flintsone Special now. About as stripped down as it can get.

Naked Softail.jpg

Engine and trans cases being sent off for polish this week. Got most of the engine parts in hand

Still waiting for my rear wheels from True Spoke, my front rim to come back from powdercoat so it can be laced to the front hub, and of course, the rear axle assembly. Hope to get all those in February.

Got a really nice Panhead Buddy Seat that I will fit up when we work over the frame.... just need the wheels to get the frame started

Seat.jpg

Kind of in a "hurry up and wait" mode but havin fun with the build! :Dorag:

View attachment 82155

Engine and trans cases being sent off for polish this week. Got most of the engine parts in hand

Still waiting for my rear wheels from True Spoke, my front rim to come back from powdercoat so it can be laced to the front hub, and of course, the rear axle assembly. Hope to get all those in February.

Got a really nice Panhead Buddy Seat that I will fit up when we work over the frame.... just need the wheels to get the frame started

View attachment 82156

It would be bad ass if you could figure out the pogo for that seat;)

View attachment 82155

View attachment 82156

Nice Progress!!!

Kevin

It would be bad ass if you could figure out the pogo for that seat;)

They used to sell them for softails. It was a flat plate with a micro shock. I had one on my 96 Heritage. It's hard to see under all of the fringe. I re-did this seat in the mid-90's. This one will be plain-jane.

DSC00008.JPG

Those min-pogos are hard to find now. Instead, I am keeping the T-Bar and am going to weld on brackets for mini-shocks that go where the helper springs are now AND add the external ones that are reproductions of the original knuck/pan helper springs. Hope that gets the Bad-Ass seal of approval :D

They used to sell them for softails. It was a flat plate with a micro shock. I had one on my 96 Heritage. It's hard to see under all of the fringe. I re-did this seat in the mid-90's. This one will be plain-jane.

View attachment 82194

Those min-pogos are hard to find now. Instead, I am keeping the T-Bar and am going to weld on brackets for mini-shocks that go where the helper springs are now AND add the external ones that are reproductions of the original knuck/pan helper springs. Hope that gets the Bad-Ass seal of approval :D

That should be a damn good ride and meets and exceeds The Bad ASS seal of approval :p

Thanks for taking us a long with your builds, I really like what U R doing:clapping: I would love to be there wrenching with you and your builders

1355966_1.jpg

Hey y'all.... long time no update....

I put 125 Miles on the Freewheeler Chopper yesterday... really nice day for it. Here it is for those who haven't seen it...

Docs.jpg

I ended the ride at Doc's to update them on my Zero Trike progress.... The doner bike reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Naked Springer 2.jpg

It keeps getting pieces taken off of it....And I am not finished yet.

The engine cases are still out at polish, but some fab parts are coming back now. Here is my new rear axle...

Trike Axle.jpg

Here is my header exhaust...

Exhaust Welded 1.jpg

Exhaust Welded 2.jpg

2 into 1 into 3.... TAKE THAT HOOKER!!! (reference to the FourBidden Exhaust of the middle 90's)

Exhaust Welded 3.jpg

I think they will hear me coming....

Exhaust Welded 4.jpg

Hey Kevin.... Does DK have a 3" torque cone? :Dorag:

Nice again today... so I am off to ride for a while. Next update should include a rolling chassis for gas ax-ing and chopping and maybe an engine to cradle in it.

I saw Kevin's video on this topic and wanted to get the tribe's opinion on this.... (especially you Kevin). I get the Thunder Torque science. Makes sense. But, where (physically) is its effect optimized? I only need one. So Where is the best place to put it? (For those who just said to themselves " I know where he can put it".... please refrain from comment and go enjoy another beer :Dorag:) PS.... the collector end is made from 3" pipe

Thuder Torque.jpg

Well Boys and Girls I'm Back.....

Howdy all!!!

Long time no post...

Well,things slowed WAAAAAAY down on the project with all of the COVID "stuff"

Let me first say to anyone and everyone affected by the virus, I hope it went as well as it could and offer my condolences for any lost loved ones

Here is an update on progress of my "Zero" trike

First Some Pictures...

JAN 6.jpg

JAN 10.jpg

JAN 1.jpg

JAN 2.jpg

JAN 7.jpg

JAN 8.jpg

JAN 4.jpg

She is on three wheels!!! That is a Kool Trikes indy suspension rear end with Wildwood Brakes and Ford rotors. The wheels are from TruSpoke with Excelcior tires. There is a matching 16" for the front as well, just not mounted yet.

You may have noticed some minor modification of the original 2000 TwinCam mill....

She is out to 107" and has very little left of the engine except the cases. I will run a seperate post on the engine build as it is a long story. The dual carbs are dialed in for a start up (idle) and initial setting for dyno dial in. But that will not come for several more months as I have to get the chassis finished and stuctural suport for the carbs, exhaust, controls. etc. integrated into the frame... there is still a LONG way to go before the first run

BTW, the exhaust I dreamt up was PERFECTLY executed by SIK pipes.... it tucked right in. Can't wait to hear 'em (Eat your hearts out LAF :Dorag:)

The trike is headed up to the frame and fab shop this week for the long awaited choppin. She will get hacked and goose-necked and raked out to get the rake and trail of a trike plus all the mods for the streched fat bobs, panhead buddy seat, floorboards, fenders, boat tail fairing and trunk etc.

It's getting exciting now!!!

More to follow

Stay warm

Be safe

and Be Well

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png