Route 66 Road Conditions

I'm pretty new to Triking. One thing I noticed after buying my 2008 Honda 1800 CSC Trike was that, on a trike, you have a harder time missing bumps in the road. In fact while driving for the first time on a frontage road...and we all know how well frontage roads are maintained...the road had wrinkled in the Arizona sun and gave a horrible ride. And I couldn't miss any of the bumps because at least one wheel was always over them. Consequently I had to lower my speed a lot.

Since it has been our dream to ride old Route 66. I'm wondering now, because Route 66, like the frontage road, isn't repaved on a regular basis (I assume anyway) and thought I'd ask someone if this is a worry to be considered or not. I would hate to be on a road such as the frontage road near my home for such a long way. So...is old route 66 still rideable on a trike?

We hit parts of Route 66 during our 'big trip' last August - it didn't seem to be any worse than regular city streets anywhere in the country. Granted, we didn't go for any long distances, but I would think it is as well maintained as any other state highway. Other experiences??

Did the entire route in Sept 2008 on 2 wheels. For the most part, road conditions were ok. The worst part was about 40 miles east of Barstow, CA. I was pulling a trailer and the road was real bad. I got on I-40 to finish ride into Barstow. We had one GW Trike that blew a fork seal and a Harley that lost all his rear lights on that particular section of the Mother Road. other than those 2 incidents, no problems from Chicago to Santa Monica.

agree with the comment about tire pressure. As Blondigal stated, we rode a good portion of 66 last fall, and other than adjusting speed on less traveled sections of the mother road, wasn't bad at all.:Trike1:

This is really helpful. Unfortunately the trike I bought has those short racing type tires in the back that don't give much. But as expensive as tires are, I'm probably going to have to wear them down some before replacing them with regular larger type tires.
I believe this is a problem I'm going to have to deal with if I want a smoother ride. 2008 Honda GL1800 CSC Cobra trike.

Try lowering the tires down to 18 to 20 lbs.
Since I have never owned a 1800 I do not know much about the main setting on the bike.
:Trike1::Trike1::Trike1::Trike1:

I'm afraid that if I lower the pressure too much on the rear tires, the rims of the wheels might hit. Very expensive looking rims too. Gosh, those tires are only about 2" between rim and road. And out in the boonies there's no air unless you pack a small 12V compressor. Something tells me this trike was not set up for hiking trails. I may drop it a tad though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png